Nitromethane (1 Viewer)

It can't be that bad ..... Big Daddy, The Greek, The Ace, The Snake, Connie, etc, etc all seem fine to me. :D

Registered member said:
If we also take into account the faster flame speed of nitromethane, in theory requiring less ignition advance than other oxygenated fuels such as methanol, then nitromethane would seem to be the ideal fuel for motorsports.
I remember being told many many years ago that nitro was a SLOW burner and that was one reason for the crazy timing advance they run which contradicts the article.

My car uses methanol and my timing right now is at 32° advance. I know of some nitro motors running 60°+ advance, just opposite of the article.

Am I wrong or what?

No, you are not wrong.... I'm not exactly sure, but I think around 70 degrees outside air temp. and I can't remember the grains of water, is the turning point on timing... Most run between 48 and 52 1/2 degrees advance, the slower timing being for the cooler thicker air. Most of the tuners have their own little chart they go by...

I remember being told many many years ago that nitro was a SLOW burner and that was one reason for the crazy timing advance they run which contradicts the article.

My car uses methanol and my timing right now is at 32° advance. I know of some nitro motors running 60°+ advance, just opposite of the article.

Am I wrong or what?

My Nitro Pro Software automatically corrects Timing, Blower, and Compression based on weather readings.

I can tell you as the air gets better they run less timing. Add timing for grains and several weather parameters. 52-62 degrees lead depending on who's team you are on and what kind of compression they run.

Nitro is no worse for people than regular gas. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many older people working on teams. If anything it makes you feel Alive.

Just as poisonous as Gasoline or... some other forms of fuel when burnt.

Not sure where this part of the article is going

"...so the exhaust fumes are not only very unpleasant but poisonous too. So while the breathing of the engine may not be impaired, that of the driver most likely will be!":confused:

Don't know many drivers that suck on the exhaust pipe or breathe it in.

I am not sure what the purpose of the driver breathing exhaust comment was. This is usually an excellent technical magazine although most articles are F-1 or road racing oriented, they did a few excellent articles on Alan Johnson's engines last year.

"...so the exhaust fumes are not only very unpleasant but poisonous too. So while the breathing of the engine may not be impaired, that of the driver most likely will be!":confused:

Don't know many drivers that suck on the exhaust pipe or breathe it in.

You rarely see it now, but at one time it was common for drivers to warm the cars wearing no mask or other form of protection, except maybe earplugs or muffs. I've seen a few become overwhelmed by the fumes. While they may be poisonous, the immediate concern is that the concentrated nitric acid in the exhaust gases instantly paralyze the breathing process, making any long-term poisonous effect a moot point.

I've never heard of anyone dying from nitro fumes but there's been a few times I thought I might.

Remember when we were first outfitted with our "brand new" breather masks. I think there were used in old chem warfare training with the residue still intact. Wearing them was worse than not most of the time.

Then you always cleaned them up with good aromatic brake clean. Provided for that nice red face rash and clean fresh scent.

Someday I am going to build a nice display shadow box for that piece of crap. Still smells of pit funk and fumes in the race bag to this day.

@ Don Higgins

Do you have anything for methanol Pro Software like you have below instead of the Nitro?

Originally Posted by Don Higgins
My Nitro Pro Software automatically corrects Timing, Blower, and Compression based on weather readings.

@ Don Higgins

Do you have anything for methanol Pro Software like you have below instead of the Nitro?

Originally Posted by Don Higgins

Do you mean for Alcohol Dragster or Pro Mod? That is in development.

If you mean for a sportsman car running alcohol or methanol then yes, I have that covered quite well.

On our team, we only have one mask.... The guy in the seat doing the warm up wears it... None of the rest (including Tim) ever wear a mask... We just have a fan at the front of the car, and you know sometimes it does more harm than good.......

You rarely see it now, but at one time it was common for drivers to warm the cars wearing no mask or other form of protection, except maybe earplugs or muffs. I've seen a few become overwhelmed by the fumes. While they may be poisonous, the immediate concern is that the concentrated nitric acid in the exhaust gases instantly paralyze the breathing process, making any long-term poisonous effect a moot point.

I've never heard of anyone dying from nitro fumes but there's been a few times I thought I might.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back