Nitro teams transporters Question? (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
I was just looking through some old pics and it got me wondering , with the widespread use of featherlite trailers these days have they become a nessecity item because of all the stuff they need to carry ? You just don't seem to see many nitro teams using gooseneck trailers anymore and I had to wonder whether big budget or little budget have the featherlite trailers become a needed thing ? I am only meaning the actual race car transporter not the hospitality trailers or motorhomes or whatever those are luxery over nessecity .

Look at things this way William: If you were working on your own personal ride, would you rather do it working in your shed or one-car garage, or would you be more comfortable if you had a nice multi-car garage or even a shop, where everything has a place and you don't have to have everything underfoot?

Now relate that to these teams that are spending 4-6 days a week working on these cars. Yes, you could do it out of a dualie and a Chapparal (take a stroll around the Sportsman pits, or at an IHBA race- most still do there), but given the opportunity (and the moola) to be in a more work-friendly enviorment, you would if you could, even if it was just a single stacker trailer with a well laid out tool box/ work bench configuration.

As some teams have expanded into the "bullet for every pass" mentality, or better, the "we can build EVERYTHING" concept, the need for more efficient and technically advanced trailers/ traveling shops has become a staple. Add in the need to make sure that those that float you the big bucks are well taken care of during race weekend, and hospitality trailers now get thrown in the mix.

I remember when Tommy Ivo used to show up with his glass sided trailer and it would be like the circus just rolled into town.. Now you don't even bring the display car in something that small anymore.

I was just looking through some old pics and it got me wondering , with the widespread use of featherlite trailers these days have they become a nessecity item because of all the stuff they need to carry ? You just don't seem to see many nitro teams using gooseneck trailers anymore and I had to wonder whether big budget or little budget have the featherlite trailers become a needed thing ? I am only meaning the actual race car transporter not the hospitality trailers or motorhomes or whatever those are luxery over nessecity .
Its needed with all the parts pieces,and motor,its just a start

Look at things this way William: If you were working on your own personal ride, would you rather do it working in your shed or one-car garage, or would you be more comfortable if you had a nice multi-car garage or even a shop, where everything has a place and you don't have to have everything underfoot?

Now relate that to these teams that are spending 4-6 days a week working on these cars. Yes, you could do it out of a dualie and a Chapparal (take a stroll around the Sportsman pits, or at an IHBA race- most still do there), but given the opportunity (and the moola) to be in a more work-friendly enviorment, you would if you could, even if it was just a single stacker trailer with a well laid out tool box/ work bench configuration.

As some teams have expanded into the "bullet for every pass" mentality, or better, the "we can build EVERYTHING" concept, the need for more efficient and technically advanced trailers/ traveling shops has become a staple. Add in the need to make sure that those that float you the big bucks are well taken care of during race weekend, and hospitality trailers now get thrown in the mix.

I remember when Tommy Ivo used to show up with his glass sided trailer and it would be like the circus just rolled into town.. Now you don't even bring the display car in something that small anymore.
A bullet for every pass?.......isnt that what the 1'000 foot is fixing (i lol) you know where im going on this

yeah I know what you mean , I wasnt asking it in a critiscm sort of way . I was meaning it as a genuine question

Many teams also have their trailers set up so that they work out of them at the shop too. It make sense from a routine perspective - they are always working with the exact same set up no matter where they are. It makes them more efficient since they don't have to get used to a shop and track set up. Shaving seconds here and there can make the difference between making the next round and giving someone a single.

The only way to really do that is to have basically everything with you all the time, which of course takes a lot of room. The organization and prep these teams have these days is unbelievable. It's not like the old days where you tossed your toolbox in the back of your dualie hooked up the flatbed and went TF racing.

I wish my garage at home was a well laid out and stocked as any pro team trailer!!

Many teams also have their trailers set up so that they work out of them at the shop too.

That's really interesting. How does that work, are the team's shops set-up like a large hanger that they just pull the trailers into and unload as if they were at the track?

Thats exactly it David.
See our shop below
0023.2.jpg

0016.2.jpg

0018.2.jpg

0021.2.jpg

not all the trailers are Featherlites either.. i've seen a few that are pretty nice and durable from other companys.. mainly Compitition trailers... to me just a as nice...but less cost than a Feather lite...

Billy

Many of these rigs are leased. For example, from my info, the entire JFR parade is leased. Often the leasing companies prefer to go with the best quality equipment to insure that they stand up to the abuse and have the highest possible resale value at lease-end.

In the "big" picture, they really aren't that expensive to begin with.
Price out a NRC/Tag trailer combo sometime.
If a person was on a budget, there are a million nice, used units out there to be had relatively cheap. Just call Mike Brotherton. The tractors can also be bought right..
Aside from all of the room, it's an attractive, sponsor pleasing, rolling advertisment to boot.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back