NITRO REVIVAL 6 (1 Viewer)

glofria

Nitro Member
Guess I forgt about it, but the Nitro Revival is the weekend before the World Finals. If your planning on coming, come early and rub elbows the the legends.

For Immediate Release (from Steve Gibbs)

RETURN TO DRAG RACING’S GOLDEN AGE AT NITRO REVIVAL 6

Cars and Stars Return to Irwindale Raceway to Comingle, Cackle and Converse

IRWINDALE, Calif. – The differences between drag racing as it is practiced today in the NHRA pro series and drag racing as it was practiced in what was considered the sport’s golden age will be on full display this November at tracks only 15 miles apart.

A week before the NHRA’s 2023 Camping World Series races to a close at In-N-Out Raceway in Pomona, more than 75 current and future Hall of Famers and many of the vehicles in which they distinguished themselves will be reunited at Irwindale Raceway for the sixth renewal of Nitro Revival (Nov. 4-5).
Some of the sport’s first big stars including “TV Tommy” Ivo, Don “the Snake” Prudhomme, “Big Jim” Dunn, Ed “the Ace” McCulloch and Tommy “Watchdog” Allen will be joined by a host of other notables who either drove, owned, tuned, photographed or wrote about vehicles like the “Dragmaster Dart,” the Ratican, Jackson and Stearns fuel altered and the legendary twin-engine “Freight Train” Top Gas dragster.
Created by a group of racing enthusiasts led by former NHRA VP of Competition Steve Gibbs and his daughter, Cindy, Nitro Revival is a celebration of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, an era in which drag racing came of age, attracting national attention as much for its personality as for its outrageous performance.
Will there be racing? Well, sure, although a lot of it will be bench racing. There won’t be the kind of zero-to-330 mph acceleration one would expect to experience a week later in the NHRA’s In-N-Out Finals, but the adrenaline will flow, nevertheless.

For one thing, a host of fuel altereds will make exhibition runs including the former Funny Car and Top Fuel driver Rodney Flournoy in his own “Godzilla”, plus you’ll see Bobby McLennan’s “Champion Speed Shop” Nostalgia Top Fueler and Luke Balough driving the fan favorite “Mooneyham and Sharp” Special.

Mainly, though, the event will pay homage to the push start ritual of the ‘60s, the distinctive cackle of V8 engines guzzling nitromethane and especially the personalities of those who propelled straight-line racing from a car club hobby sport to a national and international phenomenon.

In reality, Nitro Revival isn’t so much about the competition as it is about the camaraderie that linked a generation of Americans through a shared love of automobiles and the things that could be done to make them perform in a manner their designers never could have imagined.

In essence, in just six short years, the two-and-a-day extravaganza has established itself as a “must attend” on the bucket lists of race fans, old and new. It is a pilgrimage of sorts to the birthplace of modern drag racing, a step back in time to an era in which corporate sponsorships, political correctness and cookie cutter performance parts were not yet even a blip on the radar.
This year, there will be more than 60 cackle cars alone including the aforementioned threesome plus the “Jungle Jim” Camaro Funny Car, “Flamin’ Frank” Pedregon’s fuel coupe, the Kuhl and Olson, Dunn and Reath, Waterman and Hampshire and Brissette and Drake Top Fuel dragsters, the Custom Body Enterprises Funny Car, Dave West's Beebe & Mulligan AA/FD, Jim Green's “Assassin” dragster, the “Soapy Sales” Top Fueler and the resurrected front-motor dragster of the late Jimmy Nix, cackled by “King Richard” Tharp.

The festivities begin on Friday, Nov. 3, with pre-registration and set-up followed by an initial meet-and-greet from 5-7 p.m. around the annual In-N-Out Cookout.
Gates open at 7 a.m. on Saturday with a full slate of activities anchored by an all-inclusive autograph session at 1 p.m. in the McLennan Foundation tent, introduction of 2023 Nitro Revival honorees including Dunn and Allen at 4 p.m. and the Nitro Overdose featuring the Rolling Thunder cackle at 6:30 followed by fireworks.

Although things will begin to wind down on Sunday, there will be one final adrenaline high: One O’Clock Thunder, the simultaneous cackle of every fuel car on the property promptly at 1 p.m. during a scheduled break in the on-track action.

For ticket information and a list of participating vehicles and racing celebrities, go to www.nitrorevival.com.

Maybe the Dunn F/C could make a pass........
Too bad the Dunn and Reath "front driver" Funny Car won't be there. It's been restored and I believe is owned by a guy from Canada. He had it at the CHRR one year for all to see but I think it only made it down that one year.

Attachments

• IMG_6014.JPG
    IMG_6014.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
I shot this at either National Challenge ‘72 or ‘73. I went to both. I believe it was the ‘73 race.
View attachment 13611
This is the kind of posting I like. Great shot Ted! I only saw the car once, 64 Funny Cars Seattle 1972. This looks like 1972, I could
be wrong and probably am. Dunn had at least 4 different paint scheme's and in 1973 he had a air scoop on the roof?

This is the kind of posting I like. Great shot Ted! I only saw the car once, 64 Funny Cars Seattle 1972. This looks like 1972, I could
be wrong and probably am. Dunn had at least 4 different paint scheme's and in 1973 he had a air scoop on the roof?
Jim, I think you are correct that the picture is from the '72 race.
And, I believe this picture is from the '73 race. (I'll be the first to admit the picture itself is not very clear and out of focus.)
PICT0013.jpeg

Jim, I think you are correct that the picture is from the '72 race.
And, I believe this picture is from the '73 race. (I'll be the first to admit the picture itself is not very clear and out of focus.)
View attachment 13614
Ted, still a great photo, it is drag racing history. Finally found a picture of Dunn's car with the air scoop on the roof, this is from the
1973 Bakersfield March Meet.

1696093526106.png

1696093728792.png

Found this in Drag Racing USA magazine. Photo shoot and a cool photo, I think
it is. It makes sense, since "Big Jim" was a Los Angeles County fireman for years.
This is his 1971 Cuda body flopper. My favorite Dunn AA/FC. Remember it was
AMT or Revell model company made this model. Wish I still had it.

Last edited:
Well it happened today and for me the winner of the biggest header flames goes to Larry Dixon Jr. and his dad's original Fireside Inn M/FR car. He found it and is in the process of restoring it and he brought it out this weekend.

Hi Gino:

A friendly correction to your post. I believe the Fireside Inn dragster was found and restored (or re-created - I'm not sure) by Bucky Austin and his crew some years ago. Recently, Larry Dixon Jr. reached a very favorable agreement for Larry to buy the car from Bucky so it could go "home". So, I think this was an operational Cackle Car when LD Jr. bought it and will only need some light refurbishment to bring it back to A-1 condition.

I was down at the Top End during the Line of Fire last night, so couldn't see the Fireside Inn, but my vote goes to the Jim Dunn "Rainbow" car for best flames. At any rate, it was a great day at the drags and the Line of Fire is a real thrill for those that have not been there to experience the Thunder.

I hope Steve Gibbs is doing OK, as he took ill yesterday morning and thus was not active during the day. His duties were ably handled by his daughter and biggest fan Cindy Gibbs.

Ok, thanks Jon. I got some of the story from Larry's mom Pat, who said that is the original car that was in Walt Austin's collection. Later on in the afternoon I briefly spoke with Larry (both of our dads were good friends and laid up in the hospital on ventilators) and he described the car as a "work-in-progress." I didn't look the car over but stand off to the side I saw some cosmetic damage to the body. So that's why I choose my words as such.

Yea, Steve was down for the day and Cindy said he was resting back at the hotel room. He wanted be back there for the cakclefest, But I didn't see him though we left just as it was getting started. Hopefully he'll be back out there today.

It my understanding that ll of these cars are restorations and not replica. This was the public debut of Rich Guasco's "Pure Hell" funny car. I spoke with him for a few minutes and they plan to continue running the altered next year.

IMG_4296.JPG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back