NHRA to Restart in August Now (2 Viewers)

I wouldn't get your hopes up, my guess is that not only drag racing but all sports will not have a 2020 season. Mass gatherings are the culprit and for NHRA to come up with a 16-race schedule in as many weeks with spectators in attendance is a recipe for disaster.

PS: Jon Asher rocks!

What the hell are the pro teams going to do? Ship all their crap and replenishing supplies as needed each week? Those trucks will be on the road a lot with no breaks. The fly in guys have an advantage. You need more parts and pieces and there’s no downtime at all. Or have roving chase vehicles making strategic runs and drop offs from the home shop at certain points? Set up strategic storage spaces at points around the country? Tip of the hat to the truckers when this is all over. This is like a major rock band going on tour. That’s one hell of a schedule

I could see two of the big three in Nitro racing, JFR, DSR, having the resources to do this (The supply trucks), Connie taking advantage of using Kalitta Air, and Torrence racing shipping items in. Maybe Connie would even give discounted rates to the smaller teams to ship thru him.

When I heard this I felt that NHRA shot themselves in the foot because it's going to be a real push to get all these races in, but they are dealing with governments and politicians who are feeling pretty important by exerting their authority. They would have a better chance of completing the season if they began in June or even July, as a lot will change (for the better) by the end of this month. Plus the warmer and sunnier weather makes it harder for the virus to survive and the summer months are best for larger gatherings. If the second wave happens, it will likely begin in the fall, and then the possibility of another lock down would be the end of racing for 2020.

I don't understand why this is part of the release: "Tentative schedule announcements for the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series.........will be released following the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series announcement. "

Wouldn't you want to start working on safe protocols at a Lucas Oil Drag Racing event, be it a Divisional or a Regional, where the crowds are much leaner, and you can implement and test different methods as to what may work, depending on individual state's restrictions and the most current medical knowledge known? That seems to me where the focus right now should be - see what can and can't work at a smaller event and slowly expand it to larger events and see what that capacity might model out to look like, if it;'s even feasible to hold an event, between revised pit parking, and where you would sit an audience and in what manner, with a lot less crowd and car count to deal with. Just a thought.

If the schedule is rite. Bader just lost most of his nitro teams for the Night Under Fire Aug 8th (Read Denver) Ouch!
You all know Force is the reason people go to that race! It will be interesting what Bader has to say what his reasoning is?

Force will go either way. When Columbus was still on it, Norwalk was still a night.

Patrick, their new schedule shows all races except the US Nationals as 2 day events.

You mean this link: https://www.nhra.com/schedule/2020 or this link: https://www.nhra.com/results/2020/nhra-mello-yello-drag-racing-series

I don't see anything at all.

I don't understand why this is part of the release: "Tentative schedule announcements for the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series.........will be released following the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series announcement. "

Wouldn't you want to start working on safe protocols at a Lucas Oil Drag Racing event, be it a Divisional or a Regional, where the crowds are much leaner, and you can implement and test different methods as to what may work, depending on individual state's restrictions and the most current medical knowledge known? That seems to me where the focus right now should be - see what can and can't work at a smaller event and slowly expand it to larger events and see what that capacity might model out to look like, if it;'s even feasible to hold an event, between revised pit parking, and where you would sit an audience and in what manner, with a lot less crowd and car count to deal with. Just a thought.
Divisionals are always subject to the national events, especially when you start dealing with in-division or bordering nationals (e.g. you wouldn't want a divisional in Tulsa while there's a national in Topeka). Also, knowing the national schedule can help consolidate things. D5 has already announced that the Brainerd divisional will be held in conjunction with the national (divisional Thursday and Friday, national immediately thereafter). As tightly compacted as the nationals will be this year, they have to be known before you can start going down the line. The divisionals will likely start sooner where it's allowed, but that will be handled at the division level, not so much the national. At least a couple have announced tentative plans for their seasons since yesterday.

Also, it's not true that divisionals have a smaller car count. Generally, they're significantly larger than nationals from a participant perspective, so distancing in the pits and staging lanes could be more difficult, especially at the tracks that are limited in space.

It's interesting that you guys bring up Force. I hear younger people say that the Coronavirus is no big deal. It only kills old people. Wow John, are you in trouble

Wonder which race will forever more be called the "Corona V 19 Nationals"?
The Finals in Pomona....they will end up with no races for 2020 except those already run, and the last race. The points from these races can be used to determine the champs. Get yer asterisks out!
;)

Divisionals are always subject to the national events, especially when you start dealing with in-division or bordering nationals (e.g. you wouldn't want a divisional in Tulsa while there's a national in Topeka). Also, knowing the national schedule can help consolidate things. D5 has already announced that the Brainerd divisional will be held in conjunction with the national (divisional Thursday and Friday, national immediately thereafter). As tightly compacted as the nationals will be this year, they have to be known before you can start going down the line. The divisionals will likely start sooner where it's allowed, but that will be handled at the division level, not so much the national. At least a couple have announced tentative plans for their seasons since yesterday.

Also, it's not true that divisionals have a smaller car count. Generally, they're significantly larger than nationals from a participant perspective, so distancing in the pits and staging lanes could be more difficult, especially at the tracks that are limited in space.

-I wasn't thinking about the points impact and apologize for that
-Correct and agreed - some divisionals do have larger counts - wasn't meant as a generalized statement and apologies for not being specific.

I just miss going to the races so much, and don't need to touring Pros to be entertained. I'll stick to watching D1TV for now!

What is the proposed game plan to socially distance the fans in the stands? Only sell tickets to 50% or less of capacity? I'm s still having a problem believing any of this is going to actually happen. 16 races in 16 weeks sure won't be possible.

They will not be able to do 16 in 16. I don't care what is says, the chances of the having 16 races, with no rain is PROBABLE, but flirts with disaster and then they are F--KED. I say 12/16 and if THEY PUSH IT or if it goes well so far heading into a break, you know every clean race break will be eliminated. That creates another issue to of having to pray that the open weekend locale's weather holds up too.
i would'nt dissagree with 12/16 .. good call ..

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back