NHRA Pro Mods To Headline "Night of Thunder" at Lucas Oil Raceway (1 Viewer)

How cool! I guess they don't do the "Night Before the 500" sprint car race on the oval anymore. Maybe they can tap into some of that IndyCar party crowd and show them some great action!

I will be in town for the 500 that weekend, this looks like something cool to do.

How cool! I guess they don't do the "Night Before the 500" sprint car race on the oval anymore. Maybe they can tap into some of that IndyCar party crowd and show them some great action!
Night Before the 500 was a Midget race and some times Silver Crown, Silver Crown now runs the Carb Night Classic on Friday no midgets any more. Anderson Speedway (north of Indy) has the little 500 on Sat. 33 Sprint cars on a 1/4 mile paved track.

We are at the speedway with our vintage Indy car most of the week, usually leave for home on Sat night but have been invited to run on track before the 500 on Sunday, with Al Unser Jr behind the wheel. Will try to talk the gang into going to IRP on Sat.

Just a reminder. It's this Saturday. Brian Lohnes will be announcing. Win-win. Might be a side trip to a brewery or three as well.

Last time I went to the "Night Before the 500", some guy that was only a year or 2 older than me won the race ... I think his name was Jeff Gordon. Wonder what ever happened to that guy? ;)

It would be pretty cool if some of the pro teams took the opportunity to test at IRP Saturday night, since almost all of the teams' shops are a couple of miles away.

It would be pretty cool if some of the pro teams took the opportunity to test at IRP Saturday night, since almost all of the teams' shops are a couple of miles away.

Chris, I thought the same thing. And there does appear to be interest, but Casey Kolher, NHRA VP of Track Management and Operation said in a Speedsport.com interview with Susan Wade, "We’ve been approached by a couple of Top Fuel teams who have said, ‘We’d love to be a part of it.’ But we’ve said, ‘Let’s crawl in year one.’ The long-term goal is to introduce some of our Top Fuel teams as part of the Night of Thunder." Hopefully this there is a good turnout and they can build on this in the future.

Definitely a weekend that lends itself to cross promoting opportunities. Would love to see this grow bigger in coming years.

Man I feel like a total sell out as a fan of drag racing, but if you are in Indy go to the little 500 in Anderson, it is like nothing you have ever seen. A bunch of sprint cars on a bull ring and pit stops!

So Richie Crampton and Eddie Krawiec are going to race each other in their door cars, which are both pretty badass rides.

Looks like they've added a couple of "grudge races". Hines vs. Krawiec in PSM and Jonnie Lindberg in his TA/FC vs. Krista Baldwin in her TA/D as well. Weather looks iffy, but will make the trek to Indy as I need to see some live racing again.

I am driving down in the morning, as long as the weather is fine I will be there. Not sure how long I will stay, I want to get to IMS in plenty of time Sunday moring so I am getting up early, I hate traffic.

I enjoyed the event, I would guess between 500 and 1000 spectators. Richie Crampton broke his motor during his burnout. I enjoyed seeing Antron and his kiddies enjoying Jr dragsters. The Pro Mod turnout was light only 7 cars ran but like I said I enjoyed the show.

I enjoyed the event, I would guess between 500 and 1000 spectators. Richie Crampton broke his motor during his burnout. I enjoyed seeing Antron and his kiddies enjoying Jr dragsters. The Pro Mod turnout was light only 7 cars ran but like I said I enjoyed the show.

I was disappointed in the car count, not only in Pro Mod, but all classes. Lots of down time. The Pro Mod racing was good, but not really worth the 5 1/2 hour round trip to see it. Although the trip to Black Acre Brewing helped. ;)

I thought it was decent, there was a ton of downtime which sucked. I was in town anyway and was looking for something to do before going to the 500 on Sunday. It was cool see Lex's TF car, even though it got shut off on the starting line for a leak. I was shocked a 16oz Miller Lite was $8 and at the Indy 500 was only $6, I would expect the opposite. Add a few fuel cars and advertise it and I would expect a much larger crowd in the future.

I would have been happy with a 16 car Pro Mod field, as initially implied. Add some alcohol cars and maybe a few fuel cars. As they said they were going to "crawl in year one." A lot to build on.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back