NHRA President Glen Cromwell Announces Lawsuit Against The Coca-Cola Company (1 Viewer)

Except that NHRA made enormous efforts to "cure" the problem.
Coke might have been entitled to a pro-rata credit but, I think, they would be on thin ice in front of a jury.

After reading the contract excerpts, the "efforts" were understandable. The payment Coca Cola made was for the first half of the season - Had the NHRA not got in the races they would have owed a portion of that money back to Coca Cola. Not pointing a finger at the NHRA, they did what they needed to do to survive.

End of the day I think Camping World is a better fit with the NHRA demographic, anyway.

ray, thanks for linking that article 'tweet lures CW.....'
the biggest bit of info i took from that article is that thru research and fact finding at the recent gators, it was his opinion that his fans
in his CW nascar truck series, and his potential new fans in the nhra, were not the same person, or at least different enough that the majority of nhra fans
can be a new group to market to.

ray, thanks for linking that article 'tweet lures CW.....'
the biggest bit of info i took from that article is that thru research and fact finding at the recent gators,

What I find more interesting is the timeline.
9/22 Lemonis shows interest in NHRA
9/25 Lemonis has people on the ground doing research
Within a week the data was crunched and an offer made.

Granted I know it's made for TV and edited, yada yada, but my biggest takeaway from Lemonis' show is that he is data driven. So for Camping World to do this, it had to make sense from a numbers standpoint.

Now if his real life persona matches the TV persona there are some milestones baked in there and I'd be curious what those are. Camping World is not like Coca Cola who could afford to "misplace" $5 million. I'm assuming Camping World will be a true partnership and will want to see tangible return on that investment.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that Coca Cola has announced a major change in their product lines. They are killing off approximately 50% of current products which they say is in the Hydration Space. They are completly changing their advertising program that will basically eliminate all advertising at these venues. Half of Coca-Cola’s sales come from stadiums, movie theaters and other places where people gather in large numbers (like racing) — venues that have been closed in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19. Coke is replacing these with Alcohol and Caffeine drinks to compete with Starbucks and Light beers. It looks to me like Coke dropping NHRA was only a small part of of their restructuring. The idea that Coke is too big to have financial problems just may not be true. This also may indicate that giant corporations are thinking that in person entertainment as we knew it is not coming back at least for the forseable future. Sponsorship for things like Drag Racing as well as anything that has large gatherings involved will probably be minimal or on a much smaller scale. They also announced that they are going to be advertising mostly in areas like the internet and social media.

........... also may indicate that giant corporations are thinking that in person entertainment as we knew it is not coming back at least for the forseable future. Sponsorship for things like Drag Racing as well as anything that has large gatherings involved will probably be minimal or on a much smaller scale..........
been wondering that too roger. too much fear has been put into our society. that has to be reversed, and fast, or risk a complete change in our disposable income (entertainment) spending habits.
look at the big picture here. there are folks out there that would love to ruin many sports forever; notably non-green motorsports.

I have heard that Coke-a-Cola's position is that the contract states that events are to have full fields of competitors and the fact that not enough spectators were going to the events leading up to this year's shutdown.

Read the interview on Dragillistrated with Richard Freeman of Elite on Facebook about the state of affairs with racing next year. Looks like the new Camping World contract may be for quite a bit less than the Coke contract. If Richard is correct there could be many more teams looking at closing shop.

Read the interview on Dragillistrated with Richard Freeman of Elite on Facebook about the state of affairs with racing next year. Looks like the new Camping World contract may be for quite a bit less than the Coke contract. If Richard is correct there could be many more teams looking at closing shop.

or maybe switching venues..............PDRA, Outlaw style, I do not see these people just stopping racing. Elite has quite a few grudge, outlaw cars on their website for sale.
Maybe a completely new organization?

Roger, where do you get that info?
In my line of work I have good personal friends who have worked at Coca Cola for over 30 years. I see them weekly and they go to the races with me.

I also know very well, state, regional, and district managers as well as bulk, and side loader drivers. Also the in-store merchandisers, your statements overall seem not to "jive" with there statements or viewpoints. Just saying. As a matter of fact, a regional supervisor is coming to my house today for the Alabama Crimson Tide game today, we will discuss your statements, they may or may not be spot on. I think this guy who covers a majority of this state and going to corporate in Atlanta what seem like every 5 minutes will have a clue.

TopFuel@Lions

In my line of work I have good personal friends who have worked at Coca Cola for over 30 years. I see them weekly and they go to the races with me.

I also know very well, state, regional, and district managers as well as bulk, and side loader drivers. Also the in-store merchandisers, your statements overall seem not to "jive" with there statements or viewpoints. Just saying. As a matter of fact, a regional supervisor is coming to my house today for the Alabama Crimson Tide game today, we will discuss your statements, they may or may not be spot on. I think this guy who covers a majority of this state and going to corporate in Atlanta what seem like every 5 minutes will have a clue.

TopFuel@Lions

It's all over the internet.

TopFuel@Lions
Not my Viewpoint. Go to Fox news - Business tab and click on Coca Cola dropping 50% of its lines. https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/coca-cola-to-kill-off-half-its-portfolio

Thank you for that. While there will no doubt as you stated, be deletions to the drink line up, the core products of Coca Cola will remain and a host of new flavors and choices are coming down the pike. These products being discontinued have been in the hopper for a long time according to my Coke buddy who just left. Let us not forget the fact that Coke and it's partner company's comprise a huge flavor portfolio. Some of these products may or may not be slashed.

In any case, Coke is and will be a powerhouse in the beverage industry.

TopFuel@Lions

I find it interesting that the drivers all have their Mello Yello logos still on their firesuits. I wonder if it's just cost or doing something for the contractual obligations/keeping their end of the bargain(even though CW has come in). You would think they'd throw a piece of tape on there or something.

If you read some health web sites, they all say colas are bad for you, etc. Kinda wondering if that is cutting into coke sales (as well as Pepsi, etc). I had to quit drinking Dr Pepper some years ago. Sigh.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back