NHRA President Glen Cromwell Announces Lawsuit Against The Coca-Cola Company (1 Viewer)

No new sponsor agreement would be worth anything if the sponsor knew it could walk away from a contract whenever it wants.
That's more along my thoughts. Corporations typically understand that as long as a contract is valid, both ends are obligated to see it through or mutually agree to terminate it. If Coca-Cola just pulled the rug out from under NHRA years before the contract was supposed to end, it's a worse look for them than the NHRA for suing to get what they're owed.

Looks like we now know why NHRA had to cut purses.Next to no fans and coca cola with holding a sponsorship payment.A title Sponsor will be EXTREMELY difficult to find in these trying times.Didn't realize you could just up and break a contract like this without some kind of penalty or legal action.

with no or every few fans ,i really cant blame them, maybe it would be better to stop and wait till things get better ,other racing are doing ok because of the tv deals.

Obviously this could be very damaging long-term but thinking short term for a second, does this put the rest of this season in jeopardy without the coca cola money? I know the theory was they had to run the multiple Indy races and push for a conclusion of the season to make the minimum races for the coca cola money.

That might be the final straw for the NHRA to cancel the rest of the season until 2021
With no fans and now no major sponsor and having already cut the purse by 67% where do they go from here?

End the season and start regrouping and planning for 2021 might be a good idea.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

If anything, I would think this might be further impetus to run whatever events they have to to meet contractual minimums no matter what, even if hardly anyone shows up. Harder to win a lawsuit against someone not meeting their contractual obligations if you don't meet your own, even if they did it (or tried to do it) first.

He sated in the letter that 2021 season might start in the east, like the Gators? So what happens to Pomona, etc? Wow......

I worked in the beverage business for years. The most dishonest and backstabbing people to deal with were Coca-Cola sales and management. The more despicable you were the higher you were promoted. That was on a regional level. I can only imagine how they operate on a corporate level. Seems it was unfair to criticize the NHRA for lowering the purses when we didn’t have all the facts.

Last edited:
Sounds like Coca Cola is planning on ending after '20, so maybe if NHRA finishes the required events, they'll be honoring the 2020 Championship purses.

Looks like we now know why NHRA had to cut purses.Next to no fans and coca cola with holding a sponsorship payment.A title Sponsor will be EXTREMELY difficult to find in these trying times.Didn't realize you could just up and break a contract like this without some kind of penalty or legal action.
Happens all the time. All of my contracts have requirements/expectations and out clauses or buyout clauses written into them..........gotta protect both parties

He sated in the letter that 2021 season might start in the east, like the Gators? So what happens to Pomona, etc? Wow......

I made a prediction on another forum this morning about next season starting in Gainesville because we are less than five months from what would normally be the Winternationals and California has much tougher restrictions right now than anywhere else and I highly doubt they will ease enough to hold an event in less than five months. Even our race could be in jeopardy if the numbers dont keep going down. And my fear is with flu season coming up those numbers are going to be lumped into covid numbers and we will be back at square one in November & December.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back