NHRA and they walked away (1 Viewer)

LOL, I swear I bought hundreds if not thousands of dollars of all those Diamond P tapes years ago. I protected them like the crown jewels, only to find out a few years ago most all of them are on Youtube. Along with American Nitro, another favorite from back in the day.

LOL, I swear I bought hundreds if not thousands of dollars of all those Diamond P tapes years ago. I protected them like the crown jewels, only to find out a few years ago most all of them are on Youtube. Along with American Nitro, another favorite from back in the day.
If I remember right, the NHRA bought the entire Diamond P NHRA drag racing video inventory a few (maybe 6 or 8) years ago.

That makes sense, I see some old Diamond P clips from time to time on NHRA programs. You know, we really are lucky to get all the programming we (me too!) bitch about these days. I remember watching weeks-old drag racing on Wide World of Sports, then years later waiting for the American Sports Cavalcade on TNN and watching everything from swamp buggy races to who knows what in hopes of some drag racing. Now, I get drag racing almost every day, with NHRA sportsman series, pro mod and the big dogs and I STILL find something to whine about. Maybe I should dig out my old Decade of Thrills VHS tape and remember how it really was rather than I how I think I remember it.

Amen to that Jim. When I first started going to the drags, would sit next to the loudspeaker so I could hear the times. No scoreboards. Then waited a week for Drag News to come in the mail so I could find out what happened last weekend. We have it so good today! When I need my drag racing fix, I just go to U Tube. I'm always amazed to watch a race live on the computer. :)

Amen to that Jim. When I first started going to the drags, would sit next to the loudspeaker so I could hear the times. No scoreboards. Then waited a week for Drag News to come in the mail so I could find out what happened last weekend. We have it so good today! When I need my drag racing fix, I just go to U Tube. I'm always amazed to watch a race live on the computer. :)

I used to call 1-900-Castrol GTX or whatever it was for the NHRA Castrol GTX Hotline for Dave McClelland's pre recorded eliminations results. $2.99 for the first minute and $1.99 for each additional minute after that. Press 1 for top fuel, 2 for funny car 3 for pro stock, and screw you for sportsman (except for once in a while).

I tried getting Alan to do it but no one would bother calling him for that much money.

betcha they mechanically slowed down McClelland's report to get the most out of that 1.99per min

"In.......the.....first.........round.......Funny ........car.........racer......John........Force.........beat............Al ....................Hoffman......................with...........an.........elapsed.................time...........of........."

RANDY, How did you hide the phone bill from your wife....Lol

I paid the phone bills. She wanted to know who won as bad as I did. Back then it was all we had unless one of our pals was at the race and called us afterwards. :eek:

betcha they mechanically slowed down McClelland's report to get the most out of that 1.99per min

"In.......the.....first.........round.......Funny ........car.........racer......John........Force.........beat............Al ....................Hoffman......................with...........an.........elapsed.................time...........of........."

In....an....unusual....case....of....racer....meets.....racer.....where....both.....need.....to.....perform.....well.....this.....weekend,.....and.....weather.....permitting,.....the.....nonscripted.....series.......of......events.....unfolding.....in......a.....manner.....obvious.....to.....all,......John.....Force.....in.....his.......Castrol......GTX,.....Mac ......Tools......Dynamax.......Old.....Spice.....Cutting.....Edge.....Technologies......Don.......Steve's.....Chevrolet.....sponsored......Pontaic.......Firebird.....wrapped.....in.....the......likeness.....of......Superman.....instead.....of......his......traditional......green.......and......white......takes.....on......his.....proverbial.......rival....and.....good.....friend....also.....driving......a......Pontiac.....firebird.....bodied.....Steve.....Plueger.....chassied....fuel....funny.....car.....Al......Hoffman.....who.....is......back......after.....a.....very......serious.....accident....that.....almost.....took......his......life......at..........

I used to call 1-900-Castrol GTX or whatever it was for the NHRA Castrol GTX Hotline for Dave McClelland's pre recorded eliminations results. $2.99 for the first minute and $1.99 for each additional minute after that. Press 1 for top fuel, 2 for funny car 3 for pro stock, and screw you for sportsman (except for once in a while).

I tried getting Alan to do it but no one would bother calling him for that much money.
Holy Crap! I forgot all about that. I did that for the very first Autolite Nationals because it was a big deal (to me anyway) the first year they came to Sears Point. I remember a buddy went because he wanted to see a T/F car run in the 4's for the first time ever. Me? I paid ridiculous prices to hear it over the phone after Saturdays' early qualifying, then called back after final qualifying to see if it had changed. Probably spent enough on the phone bill to make the 3 hour trip south, which I did the next year.

I remember that. Then I started doing it for the all motorcycle drags. The organizations would fax me the info as soon as the last pair went down, I had a line in the house just for this. I would record it on the answering machine along with plugs for stuff we had. That thing would run continuously for the next 24 hours.

Tim Grose’s classic FC mess up has to be one of the best clips ever. I think Maaco even made a commercial using it LoL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back