New Prostock Mustang (1 Viewer)

Speaking of Pro Stock. My son is here right now going through my albums, looking for something new
to listen to. He says dad did you see this car run and I said no, it was a Eastern Seaboard car, I don't
think it ever came West. But I did see the band in 1978 or 79.
From Canada it's Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush great band and Frank is a fine guitar player. This album
is from 1980. Did anyone see the car run? Good looking Dodge Omni

View attachment 11913

View attachment 11914

View attachment 11915

View attachment 11916
I don't remember that car , but definitely remember Frank Marino. Saw them a few times in the late 70's and early 80's.

I've said this so many times, but why the obsession with "stock appearing" race cars, especially in classes that are very, very fast? When I see a modern FC, it looks like a land based missile, and it is. When I see a PS car, I see an engineering marvel that looks badass. We have classes for cars that look real close to production cars, and are scary fast, such as the FSS cars. When Pro Stock started over FIFTY years ago, they really were street cars with slicks and hood scoops (I'm exaggerating but you get it), what we have now is a result of progress. And as far as what's under the hood, given the parameters that Pro Stock engines must follow, things evolve to an optimum design. So, I don't get hung up on the all GM thing, I do however think having different body types is good for the class. Just my pre-coffee 2 cents, LOL.

I agree!

Camaro.jpg

Hey Randy, You think you got enough wheelie bars? Most others would stock pile clutches and tires! LOL

That's a picture of it at RJ Race Cars before JR Carr picked it up. A picture of it in my shop would show my dog, BBQ, etc. Actually, Don London bought it from me in January 2022 as we prepared our exodus from California to Idaho. Don had me renew my license, so we'll see what he's up to. These cars are fun to drive, although a little slower than my laps in a TA/FC.

2021 Las Vegas April National Event.jpg

So basically it's a "corporate" engine. If ya put a Mopar decal on it, it's a Mopar. Ford decal & it's a Ford. I used to hear stories that one day, just one engine would be used in drag racing. Well, for this type of car, I guess this is it.

All the DRCE versions were designed by Warren Johnson. GM paid for the engineering, and to cast the parts. Not sure about now, but the first blocks were cast by Caterpillar for GM. The block and cylinder heads carry a GM part number, every other piece is aftermarket. If you buy the parts from GM they are no where near ready to race. Usually the only thing finished on the block is the cam tunnel. The heads need to be ported.

As opposed to the Alcohol and Fuel stuff. When you get a Nitro or Alcohol block, it comes out of the box ready to go and you just put it together. You buy heads, put valves and springs on and bolt them to the block and go.

The new Ford engine that is coming will be the same, block and heads with a Ford part number, everything else is aftermarket.

Alan

All the DRCE versions were designed by Warren Johnson. GM paid for the engineering, and to cast the parts. Not sure about now, but the first blocks were cast by Caterpillar for GM. The block and cylinder heads carry a GM part number, every other piece is aftermarket. If you buy the parts from GM they are no where near ready to race. Usually the only thing finished on the block is the cam tunnel. The heads need to be ported.

As opposed to the Alcohol and Fuel stuff. When you get a Nitro or Alcohol block, it comes out of the box ready to go and you just put it together. You buy heads, put valves and springs on and bolt them to the block and go.

The new Ford engine that is coming will be the same, block and heads with a Ford part number, everything else is aftermarket.

Alan
Thanks for the info Alan, would still like to see a pro stock version of the coyote 4 cam motor, not likely but would be very interesting

That's a picture of it at RJ Race Cars before JR Carr picked it up. A picture of it in my shop would show my dog, BBQ, etc. Actually, Don London bought it from me in January 2022 as we prepared our exodus from California to Idaho. Don had me renew my license, so we'll see what he's up to. These cars are fun to drive, although a little slower than my laps in a TA/FC.

View attachment 11924
I did not realize Don bought your car.

Thanks for the info Alan, would still like to see a pro stock version of the coyote 4 cam motor, not likely but would be very interesting

It would be interesting, but is not currently legal. The rule book states single cam pushrod 90 degree V-8. It also states that each bank must be 45 degrees from the centerline of the crankshaft and camshaft. That last part might have had something to do with us..... :eek::p:rolleyes:o_O~:)~

I Love Pro Stock.

Alan

It would be interesting, but is not currently legal. The rule book states single cam pushrod 90 degree V-8. It also states that each bank must be 45 degrees from the centerline of the crankshaft and camshaft. That last part might have had something to do with us..... :eek::p:rolleyes:o_O~:)~

I Love Pro Stock.

Alan
Ya I know the center cam rule kills the the chance of it happening, back in the day when you could build any combo by mostly weight too cubic inches it would have been very interesting, miss the days when pro stock was factory based and when the cars were staging the track announcer would ask the the crowd witch brand would win the round

I know some of you guys are throwing rocks at Pro Stock cars. But before I bought my "Camaro" built by RJ Race Cars I hadn't been very close to Pro Stock cars at all except for Jeg Coughlin, Jr who let me look inside his in the staging lanes once at Pomona.

After looking mine over (I bought it from JR Carr to run in Top Sportsman) and climbing in and out and underneath it I can see why they get a lot of money for these things. The workmanship and the amount of work to build one of these cars at RJ is astonishing. I was so blown away I couldn't help myself so I called Rick and Ricky Jones and told them I had never seen anything like it. I think to them the quality of car they build is standard procedure, but to a guy like me who has been beating on Top alcohol funny cars for years, sometimes I would just sit in it with the doors off just staring at the inside of the thing in total amazement at the fit and finish everwhere you looked, the beauty of the carbon fiber work and unbelievable craftsmanship that goes into one of these cars.

Anyway, that's my two cents! Not that it matters!
I don't think anyone, for a second, is doubting how incredibly badass these cars are. It's just the "get off the lawn" crowd (myself included) who are longing for the old days when a Ford looked like a ford, a Firebird was distinguishable from a Camaro, and the cars had personality. They're generic blobs now and just not as interesting to watch. Horse is out of the barn on this one and it's not coming back, so we have to accept it or move on

Well I'm not sure if I want a Grand Torino in Pro stock, but if it will draw others in the class. I'm not going to complain. Lol

I don't think anyone, for a second, is doubting how incredibly badass these cars are. It's just the "get off the lawn" crowd (myself included) who are longing for the old days when a Ford looked like a ford, a Firebird was distinguishable from a Camaro, and the cars had personality. They're generic blobs now and just not as interesting to watch. Horse is out of the barn on this one and it's not coming back, so we have to accept it or move on

I think the factory stock cars should satisfy your thirst. They are exactly what you're describing, no? And they are fast.

What is hard to understand is since G.M. makes 50% (parts & cars) of their Chevrolets in the U.S. and has 97,000 employes total in the U.S. and Toyota has 366,000 employes making 70% of the cars in the U.S. as well as being OK in F/C why are they not able to have a Pro Stock program?

I know that Toyota has a V8 engine that they use in NASCAR, so would it be possible to build a P/S version? Or are they more interested in F/C? Thinking what type of car would Toyota use? Probably a 4 door Camry (shades of Gapp & Roush).

The engine doesn’t matter. They are like the fuel classes, everyone has the same basic deal. It is just the Mfgs. want to sell cars (Trucks) and since Toyota employs almost three times as many U.S. workers and makes the cars here it helps our economy. I know people say they are Japanese but Chevrolet was a Frenchman - so what it is just a name.

I would imagine a Camry pro stock wouldn't be too far off of what the Dart and Avenger were. Not saying that they would be the exact same, I'm just imagining what the last four door variations translated to.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back