New Engine Combo (1 Viewer)

I remember Mickey Thompson tried compressed air on one of his funny cars back in the 70's, and maybe even Gene Snow if my memory is correct. Neither had success, but their systems lacked the sophisticated controls that this system has. Looks like it has really good potential.

It ran right on the sea-level number; 6.82/205, as expected. What a beautiful, innovative piece of work, worthy of a Best Engineering award anywhere it shows up.

Mickey Thompson did indeed experiment with a compressed air FC; it turned its Boss 429 Ford engine into a monster - "it sounds like a giant machine gun", according to Thompson. But technical problems did it in and Thompson moved on.

Mickey-Thompson-compressed-air-system.jpg

I saw this car (or one like it) at the old Irwindale. They were running it w/o the body, just testing. Too bad it didn't work.

So I'm guessing this system could run on alky or even nitro?

Last edited:
He ran 6.80s in Houston and ran 6.80’s in Denver too. Seems like it worked real well.

I remember Mickey Thompson tried compressed air on one of his funny cars back in the 70's, and maybe even Gene Snow if my memory is correct. Neither had success, but their systems lacked the sophisticated controls that this system has. Looks like it has really good potential.
Also, Art Malone with his sidewinder...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back