New countdown points system announced (1 Viewer)

I agree with David that the countdown can produce championships that were not really earned. In the days before the countdown, there were some that came down to the last race at Pomona. Joe Amato & Gary Ormsby as example. Also some that had enough points to win way before the season ending. It was still exciting to see who would win. I've always thought of the countdown as a NASCAR rip-off & think there could be a better way. Lots of good suggestions on this forum. Would like to see NHRA show an interest.

ok if the count down rules keep changing every few years to include more cars.... in another 5 years we will be back to the old system of points leader wins championship.
so everyone just hang in there. but then OMG we will have nothing to complain about

To me the teams who make it based on attendance will still be irrelevant in the countdown anyway, so what difference does it make. If you couldn’t finish in the top 10 after 18 races when there’s only 12 full timers to begin with, you’re not gonna magically turn it around enough during the last 6 to threaten top contenders. Jmo.

To me the teams who make it based on attendance will still be irrelevant in the countdown anyway, so what difference does it make. If you couldn’t finish in the top 10 after 18 races when there’s only 12 full timers to begin with, you’re not gonna magically turn it around enough during the last 6 to threaten top contenders. Jmo.

Look up Johnny Gray for the FC Countdown in 2011. He never made it into the countdown. He earned 517 points in the countdown. That was the turnaround you were talking about. If he qualified # 7 or better for the 2011 countdown, Matt Hagan would only be a 1 time champ.

Look up Johnny Gray for the FC Countdown in 2011. He never made it into the countdown. He earned 517 points in the countdown. That was the turnaround you were talking about. If he qualified # 7 or better for the 2011 countdown, Matt Hagan would only be a 1 time champ.
True enough but that was a DSR car. I’d say pretty fat chance of seeing that again any time soon but anything is possible. I’m not for the change, I just don’t see it having any affect on the championship.

So, Cruz, McMillen and Palmer would've been in the 2019 Countdown using the 2020 rules? Campbell, Haddock and Ferre if they made 2 qualifying passes at each event? Maybe they should only get 10 points on a qualifying pass if you end up within 1/2 sec of the final #1 qualifying time, 2 or 5 points for the slower runs. This would have more of an impact on those at the top chasing individual points.

John

Last edited:
So, Cruz, McMillen and Palmer would've been in the 2019 Countdown using the 2020 rules? Campbell, Haddock and Ferre if they made 2 qualifying passes at each event? Maybe they should only get 10 points on a qualifying pass if you end up within 1/2 sec of the final #1 qualifying time, 2 or 5 points for the slower runs. This would have more of an impact on those at the top chasing individual points.

John

What the NHRA typically needs to do is to get away from "mineshaft 1 run type of conditions or it's a bad weekend deal of qualifying. Either make all sessions related to Sunday or only have qualifying at night and cut it down to 2 as that would for sure even it up. I hate for the countdown to have even more of an effect on the year. First the awful 2007 way with double bumps, then the way we are used to since 08. Now all who meet rules get it. Like someone said, if you do that why even have a countdown? Just go back to how it was, unless there are very special Hight or Torrence type run aways. They seldom happen anymore as I cannot tell you the last team who had a fantastic car for all 24 races. I always remember Mike Neff saying "it is very tough to make these cars run good an entire season. I don't need to have to know "bonus qualifying points" 'no more E.T. points" then points and a half at Pomona. The Pomona deal is too 100% influence the title race. They eliminated points and a half Indy and any countdown berth winners and losers.

True enough but that was a DSR car. I’d say pretty fat chance of seeing that again any time soon but anything is possible. I’m not for the change, I just don’t see it having any affect on the championship.

I was very surprised we have not seen more "satellite" teams get help to act as a blocker. That makes sense to why Tasca is artificially DSR's 5th FC. He acted as a blocker, and it almost worked for Beckman.

What the NHRA typically needs to do is to get away from "mineshaft 1 run type of conditions or it's a bad weekend deal of qualifying. Either make all sessions related to Sunday or only have qualifying at night and cut it down to 2 as that would for sure even it up. I hate for the countdown to have even more of an effect on the year. First the awful 2007 way with double bumps, then the way we are used to since 08. Now all who meet rules get it. Like someone said, if you do that why even have a countdown? Just go back to how it was, unless there are very special Hight or Torrence type run aways. They seldom happen anymore as I cannot tell you the last team who had a fantastic car for all 24 races. I always remember Mike Neff saying "it is very tough to make these cars run good an entire season. I don't need to have to know "bonus qualifying points" 'no more E.T. points" then points and a half at Pomona. The Pomona deal is too 100% influence the title race. They eliminated points and a half Indy and any countdown berth winners and losers.

I was very surprised we have not seen more "satellite" teams get help to act as a blocker. That makes sense to why Tasca is artificially DSR's 5th FC. He acted as a blocker, and it almost worked for Beckman.
I can assure you Bob Tasca isn't about blocking for anyone. Also, his win/loses in the 2019 countdown doesn't support your theory.

i believe little League baseball/soccer has a similar rule called 'participation trophy's' :p
Not even close to the same thing. They don't get a trophy. Nhra is only giving them a CHANCE to get the only trophy available.

That's a whole lot different than "here, you participated so here's a trophy even though you didn't win a single game." If you can't understand that, you probably shouldn't be in the conversation, IMO.

just wondering, are the "keyboard participation trophies" in the mail also, for these guys ?

Beckman opinion http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/beckman-not-in-favor-of-countdown-revisions#
Vandergriff Jr/Hartford/Matt Smith opinion http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...-the-pits-regarding-2020-countdown-revisions#
No, they are actually answering questions from a media source and their opinions are highly valued....but let me continue to grind clutch disc for 12 straight hours so I can get my participation trophy.

No, they are actually answering questions from a media source and their opinions are highly valued....but let me continue to grind clutch disc for 12 straight hours so I can get my participation trophy.
ok, i get it, I'm not worthy! Perhaps this summer i'll volunteer for a race team just so i can qualify, to post an opinion online.:p .... i'll keep u updated!

these playoffs are enticing sponsors to only sign up for partial events.......let's race 12 events, markets of our choosing, then race for a little extra dough at end of year.
go down the list of C races. here's the ones i'd miss in the first 18......virginia, charlotte 1, chicago or topeka, houston, vegas 1, and pomona 1, and maybe skip epping too. you will hit 18
major markets, hopefully win or RU a few times, and start a 6 race run for money after indy. skip houston, hit ennis. skip virginia, hit reading. skip chicago or topeka, hit st. louis.
charlotte, vegas, and pomona are repeats.

Last edited:
So you pretty much dislike how champions are determined in almost every sport then.
I guess(?), but honestly even though I'll watch a few games here and there simply for the enjoyment of the game I don't really follow any other sports closely enough to care. Except for the Kindergarten Tiddlywinks competitions that used to preempt drag racing regularly when it was on ESPN :D:D

So if I make 2 qualifying runs at every race, regardless of whether I qualify or not, I will qualify for the countdown. DUMB DUMB DUMB

So if I make 2 qualifying runs at every race, regardless of whether I qualify or not, I will qualify for the countdown. DUMB DUMB DUMB

You get a trophy, you get a trophy, you get a trophy.............................didn't someone do this already?? Oh wait that was a car.

20 race season with a 3 race playoff. reading. dallas. vegas.
less breaks between first 3-4 races. 17 races ending at indy on labor day. 1.5points at indy to decide top 8.
two week break after indy. run reading. two week break. dallas and vegas back to back to end season.
season ending payouts 1-8th place. season if practically over just as football season is beginning.
8 drivers make the playoffs. if you don't make the playoffs, you don't attend final 3 races.
all 8 drivers start final 3 races with zero points. qualifying small points in effect during playoffs. 1.5points at vegas final.

That makes a whole lot of sense Mike. I would for instance, be all for not starting the season until June or July. Let's say 20 weeks, 16 race schedule. Almost no breaks in the schedule much like Nascar with 1-3 a year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back