NASA getting ready to launch Artemis 1 on Monday, Aug. 29 (1 Viewer)

TSK

Staff member
Nitro Member
Nearly 50 years since NASA last put humans on the moon, the new Artemis Space Launch System is being launched on its first long duration test flight. It will be an uncrewed flight. The mission is expected to last a bit over six weeks.
I'm envious of those who live Florida. Watching this massive rocket system launch is going to be amazing.
The launch window opens Monday, August 29 at 8:33 a.m. EDT.

How about some of our Florida residents taking and posting pictures of the launch if you are able to see it from your homes?

It was a shame I never got to see the space shuttle launch. I do remember watching the launch of
Columbia on TV back in 1981 (I wasn't even ten yet). So if they do more launches like these, I am
going to get witnessing a space launch off of my bucket list.

It was a shame I never got to see the space shuttle launch. I do remember watching the launch of
Columbia on TV back in 1981 (I wasn't even ten yet). So if they do more launches like these, I am
going to get witnessing a space launch off of my bucket list.
Tom, my wife and I got to see shuttle Atlantis launch in April 2010. Beside the births of our two children, that was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen.
We were at Cape Canaveral about six miles from the launching pad.
The sound took about 30 seconds to reach us. You could almost see the sound waves moving across the marsh. It kept getting louder and louder, but not ear-splitting, and continued until the rocket was almost out of sight.
The launch was shortly after 2 pm. Even from our vantage point the flames were so bright that it was hard to look directly at it.
The rocket system for Artemis is all new and the most powerful rocket yet devised. I imagine it will be even louder, which will make it even more awesome.

Tom, my wife and I got to see shuttle Atlantis launch in April 2010. Beside the births of my two children, that was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen.
We were at Cape Canaveral about six miles from the launching pad.
The sound took about 30 seconds to reach us. You could almost see the sound waves moving across the marsh. It kept getting louder and louder, but not ear-splitting, and continued until the rocket was almost out of sight.
The launch was shortly after 2 pm. Even from our vantage point the flames were so bright that it was hard to look directly at it.
The rocket system for Artemis is all new and the most powerful rocket yet devised. I imagine it will be even louder, which will make it even more awesome.
Way cool. There is a song from Rush called Countdown. It's a typical Rush geek song about the launch of Columbia. They we in closer than six miles.

That would have been so cool to be at STS-1.

Today’s launch was just scrubbed due to a leak on one of the engines.
If NASA engineers can make repairs, the next launch window is Friday, September 2.

have seen 2 smaller rockets go up from the cape. it's really amazing. saw one of musk's spacex go last year. the trajectory took it SE towards the bahamas.
we were on 520 hwy heading out to cocoa beach, about 8-10 miles south of launch. just like watching fuel cars from top end. you see it, then you hear it, but only more, and once
you lose site of rocket, you can still hear the sound for a while. nothing like it.

The second launch attempt is set for Friday, September 2 at 12:48 EDT. But, the weather forecast is not looking very promising.

Well, crud. Today’s launch has been scrubbed due to a hydrogen leak. No next launch attempt has been scheduled yet.
Engineers need to fix the leak.

If it doesn’t launch by September 6, the next launch window is September 19.

i'm sure there night and day different, but musk sure doesn't struggle to get his space-x falcon rockets off the ground, even
recovering the base propulsion section

Repairs are being performed to fix the leak.
Provided the repairs are successful, there are two launch windows later in September;
  • Sept 23: Two-hour launch window opens at 6:47 a.m. EDT; landing on Oct. 18
  • Sept. 27: 70-minute launch window opens at 11:37 a.m.; landing on Nov. 5

gonna' be in orlando 10/6 thru 10/12.......i was selfishly hoping for launch in that window. i'd drive over in a second.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back