Mopar News (1 Viewer)

I can't believe how all the automakers are just flipping the switch (pun intended) and declaring a move to all electric. I'm not against them, and yeah I know they're fast, but why isn't there more of a conversation about just how "green" this initiative is? Does anybody talk about what it takes to mine lithium? Or how much more coal is being burned to produce enough electricity to fill this huge need? Maybe I'm missing something. But, I would really like to understand more about this whole deal.

I can't believe how all the automakers are just flipping the switch (pun intended) and declaring a move to all electric. I'm not against them, and yeah I know they're fast, but why isn't there more of a conversation about just how "green" this initiative is? Does anybody talk about what it takes to mine lithium? Or how much more coal is being burned to produce enough electricity to fill this huge need? Maybe I'm missing something. But, I would really like to understand more about this whole deal.
Yeah, valid points. I am somewhat of a tree hugger, lol, but I also take into account the total vector of effect on the environment. Those batteries are something else in terms of that. Not to mention the amount of fossil fuels burned to generate the electricity to charge the batteries. I am sure somewhere, someone has done an analysis on the total effect on the environment.

There's just no way of knowing who is telling the truth anymore. Both sides modify their results to fit their profit center.
I posted this before somewhere and maybe it was here:
In 1971 the major news outlets quoted "expert's opinions" that the world would be out of oil by 1984.
So large numbers of us bought Vegas, Pintos and Gremlins. Wish I still had the Swinger 340 I bought when I got back from Vietnam and then traded in 1972 for a gas sipping throw away car. What a sucker I was.
You guys in California... are you trashing your gas lawnmower and buying electric now before the gas stations dry up?

What a completely asinine decision. And not the first car company to make such a proclamation. Within a few short years, this will prove to be one of the biggest mistakes that major corporations have ever made. A muscle car that doesn't make any noise. Wow. What a concept.

"Hey, I know, let's drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas!"
"But, you know, we will have to spend 4 hours in Baker re-charging the car, 'cause it can't make it there on one charge. And, there will be a line a mile long at the charging station. And, those super-nifty solar panels don't produce anywhere near enough electricity for the demand of all those charging stations."
"Don't worry, the government will have it all figured out by 2024. Let's Go!"

Last edited:
I live in Illinois, the electric grid has blackouts in the summer and winter months, what will happen when everybody has their electric vehicles on charge all day and night in the future? Who thinks the cost of electricity won't go thru the roof, much higher than gas? The cost to rebuild the electric grid alone will be in the billions, plus waste disposal, finding adequate charging stations and finding the time to use them on a trip. Finally, how will all this new electricity be produced?

I live in Illinois, the electric grid has blackouts in the summer and winter months, what will happen when everybody has their electric vehicles on charge all day and night in the future? Who thinks the cost of electricity won't go thru the roof, much higher than gas? The cost to rebuild the electric grid alone will be in the billions, plus waste disposal, finding adequate charging stations and finding the time to use them on a trip. Finally, how will all this new electricity be produced?
Good questions but unfortunately those in "power" will do all they can to "switch" us from gas to electric.. It's due to those in "power" not being able to make huge profits from the oil and gas business as others beat them to it a long time ago.

So they have to invent ways to steal the power business by making the country think we have to go electric/wind/solar or the ice caps will melt, the water level will rise and we will all die of sunburn from our depleted ozone layer. Unless... we switch to their company for our power needs.

Drag racing... will it be electric drag racing or gas or alky or nitro? (Staying on subject. ;))

three syllables.......so-lyn-dra ....... good luck mopar.
"did you hear the drag races were in town last weekend?"......."no, i didn't hear them at all" .......... said no one ever

Last edited:
It’s all about the offshore bank accounts

Read a story recently in a British newspaper that US environmentalists are opposing construction of the transmission lines needed to carry the electricity generated in new wind and solar farms.

Couldn't possibly be true, of course, could it?

I look at the issue in the most simplistic form that I can. It starts with the basics. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Keeping that in mind, it comes down to this question; what is the most efficient way to get and use energy to do things we need and want to do? Does it use less total energy to refine oil to make the things we need than it does to mine lithium for batteries, or to build and run a windmill, or whatever. No matter what we are going to continue to use energy until we either run out or destroy the earth (probably both). There is no stopping it (refer back to the basics). So long as we humans are here on earth, we will use energy in one form or another. This finality is hundreds if not thousands of years down the road, but it will happen. In order for that not to happen (optimistic), everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in the chain must be renewable. I don't have a concept of how that is possible since we will constantly be consuming in one form or another. Maybe generations from now we will figure it out. Until then, I feel we are just kicking the proverbial can down the road. To where, is unknown. Electric cars are nothing but a speck of dust in the universe.

Last edited:
Strictly a personal thought here because I didn't fall off a barstool yesterday, but I think a lot of the hype from auto makers about moving away from fossil fuel is nothing more than a statement to make the politically correct and environmental folks feel good. It falls into the category like the running out of oil by 1984 and the world would be coming to a standstill because of the Y2K bug in computers.
Not saying there won't ever be a dominance of electric cars and gasoline vehicles will be gone, just not as soon as they want to you believe.
A possible issue that few people are talking about is, when it comes to electric vehicles and anything that uses Lithium batteries, where the batteries come from. China. They are the largest manufacture of Lithium batteries in the world and if our government upsets them, guess what, we have another OPEC to deal with. Only this time it's batteries instead oil.

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed.
This isn't the most accurate way to think about energy. It's a restating of the First Law of Thermodynamics, but that only applies to isolated systems. Under its definition, only the universe as a whole can truly be considered isolated. The Earth is not because it constantly receives a large influx of energy from the Sun.

I don't necessarily disagree with the "efficient use of energy" message in the rest of your post, but we won't have to worry about running out of energy for way more than thousands of years. Humanity will have to come up with better ways of obtaining and using it, though.

What a completely asinine decision. And not the first car company to make such a proclamation. Within a few short years, this will prove to be one of the biggest mistakes that major corporations have ever made. A muscle car that doesn't make any noise. Wow. What a concept.

"Hey, I know, let's drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas!"
"But, you know, we will have to spend 4 hours in Baker re-charging the car, 'cause it can't make it there on one charge. And, there will be a line a mile long at the charging station. And, those super-nifty solar panels don't produce anywhere near enough electricity for the demand of all those charging stations."
"Don't worry, the government will have it all figured out by 2024. Let's Go!"
Here's a link that I've been watch on Utube it's called Flying Wheels
his last two videos are about him getting invited to do an all-Electric car Cannonball run. It's funny all the BS about charging a car they are running into. It's enough to make me decide, NO ELECTRIC CAR for me.

the number one reason race tracks are shut down is the noise. They can put a track downtown now and disturb no one. LOL.

Read a story recently in a British newspaper that US environmentalists are opposing construction of the transmission lines needed to carry the electricity generated in new wind and solar farms.

Couldn't possibly be true, of course, could it?

Ha ha, wait until they hear about this option. Probably the best option in a long long time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back