McCLENATHAN SEEKS FIRST GATORS WIN (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]BROWNSBURG, Ind. - In his 18-year career as a Top Fuel racer, Cory McClenathan has collected 30 national-event wins in 53 final rounds. These victories were scored at 16 different racing venues on the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series circuit. Obviously, he's repeated at several of these drag strips, but there's one that has eluded him over the years, and that is Gainesville Raceway, home of the 40th annual NHRA Gatornationals, coming up this weekend.

McClenathan drives the FRAM Top Fuel dragster for Don Schumacher Racing, is currently ninth in the point standings following the first two events of the 2009 season, and he's looking to add the Gatornationals to his list of triumphs at the track where he's been low qualifier twice, in 1993 and 1994.

His 2009 season so far has been a little rough, with one quarterfinal finish at the season opener and a red-light start at the second event. Add into the mix new crew chiefs and a whole new crew, and the result is a challenge to win McClenathan his first Top Fuel championship, but it's clear he and the FRAM team are up to the task.

"I look back at the points and I'm thinking, Are you kidding me? We ought to be in the top five right now," said McClenathan, "and then I look at how close the points are and how quickly they can change, and I realize I shouldn't be too concerned.

"We got into this thing counting points from the very first day we rolled into (season-opening) Pomona. And my red light in Phoenix has kind of lived with me the last couple of weeks. I just want to get up and get over it. We tested at West Palm Beach this week and I'm looking forward to rolling into Gainesville and doing well and putting all that behind me.

"I think Todd and Phil (crew chiefs Okuhara and Shuler) are thinking the same thing. Let's get in there, qualify, and show these guys what we're really made of. Let's just start the season right now.

"We've allowed the competition to kind of get a leg up on us, so we have some making up to do, but I think the FRAM Top Fuel dragster team can do it, and obviously I have more than enough confidence in Todd and Phil. I think they've been doing a great job. They work together so well, and I want to make up for what I did in Phoenix for them and do well in Gainesville.

"I'm excited to get to the Gatornationals," added McClenathan. "It is an important race because I've always gone through my racing career thinking I want to win one race at every single event we go to. Gainesville's been one of those events that's kind of eluded me and I want to make sure that I get to do that. So that’s one goal I'm really working hard towards.

"I know Phil and Todd and all the boys on the FRAM team are also excited to get there. We have great DSR teammates in Mike Green, Neal Strasbaugh and Tony Schumacher (all on the U.S. Army Top Fuel team). We all work together. So, I think once we hit our stride we're going to be tough to beat. I just want it sooner than later."

CORY MCCLENATHAN QUICK FACTS:
* No. 9 in 2009 Top Fuel point standings, with one quarterfinal and one first-round finish in first two events of season
* No. 3 in 2008 Top Fuel point standings, including one win in three final rounds, as well as eight semifinal, six quarterfinal, seven first-round finishes and two No. 1 qualifiers
* Qualified No. 6 in '08 Gainesville, lost first round to Hillary Will
* Has no Gainesville wins or runner-ups
* Low qualifier in Gainesville in 1993 and 1994
* Won the '08 NHRA Nationals in Las Vegas2 for his 30th career Top Fuel victory in 53 final rounds
* First driver to break the 320-mph barrier with 322.17-mph run in Dallas in 1997
* Has recorded 433 career round wins in Top Fuel
* Qualified No. 1 32 times, with a career-high seven times in 1993
* Recorded 400th round win in Top Fuel in Richmond 2007
* Has finished No. 2 in the standings four times (1992, 1995, 1997 & 1998)
* Finished No. 10 in rookie season in 1991; made first 4-second run
* Made NHRA history with first run in the 4.70s (4.799) at Reading in 1992
* Swept the three-race Western Swing in 1997 en route to four consecutive wins and career-high six victories in eight final rounds
* Won four of the first six races in 1998. Equaled career-best with six wins in eight finals
* Won the U.S. Nationals twice (1996, 1999)
* Missed four races in 1993 after crash in Rockingham and still finished sixth in the Top Fuel points
* Age 46 (January 30, 1963); born in Wichita, Kansas, now lives in Brownsburg, Ind.; has 17-year-old daughter Courtney
* Joined Don Schumacher Racing in 2008; 2009 is fourth season with sponsorship from FRAM

SCHEDULE:
FRIDAY, March 13 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 11:30 a.m. & 2:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, March 14 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
SUNDAY, March 15 - Pre-race ceremonies, 10 a.m. FINAL ELIMINATIONS begin at 11 a.m.

TELEVISION:
Sunday, March 15, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise two hours of
qualifying highlights at 2 a.m. (ET).
Sunday, March 15, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will re-air 90 minutes of
qualifying highlights at 10 a.m. (ET).
Sunday, March 15, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise NHRA Race Day, a
30-minute news magazine show, at 11:30 a.m. (ET)
Sunday, March 15, ESPN and ESPN HD will televise three hours of coverage
starting at 3 p.m. (ET).

SATELLITE (Analog feed):
Friday, March 13, 9 - 9:30 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 8K (11860
MHz, horizontal)
Saturday, March 14, 7:30 - 8 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 7K (11840
MHz, vertical)
Sunday, March 15, 6:30 - 7 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 7K (11840
MHz, vertical)
Video news release contains race action highlights each day and winners'
interviews on Sunday.

Ways To Support Nitromater