McCLENATHAN, FRAM TOUGH GUARD TEAM FOCUS ON IMPROVEMENT (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]BROWNSBURG, Ind. (June 23, 2009) - Cory McClenathan is still reeling from his Top Fuel second-round loss on a holeshot in Englishtown, N.J., last week, in the 11th round of 24 in the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series. In a very competitive category in which rounds are often won or lost at the starting line, McClenathan and the FRAM Tough Guard Top Fuel team are focused on improving in that department as they head to Summit Racing Equipment Motorsport Park for this weekend's NHRA Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio.

"We do have a good race car, and (crew chiefs) Todd Okuhara and Phil Shuler and the guys have done a great job with the FRAM Tough Guard Top Fuel dragster. The weakest link has been me the last couple of weeks," said McClenathan, who was eliminated on a holeshot in each of the last two events. "It's not like I'm going out there and throwing them away on purpose. Obviously, we try 100 percent every time, but my lights (reaction times) need to get better and that's all there is to it, if I want to beat some of these kids out here."

It's important to note that McClenathan has also been on the winning end of a holeshot this season, defeating Larry Dixon in the opening round of eliminations in Atlanta with a slower elapsed time.

"We're being pro-active,” he added. “I'm working on making improvements on my side and the FRAM Tough Guard boys are working on making adjustments with the car. Hopefully, that will pay off. But I can assure you of one thing: we're all working hard at it.

"It is really tough out there in the Top Fuel class," said 30-time national-event winner McClenathan, who has reached two final rounds so far this season. "I think one element that people don't realize with these 1000-foot race tracks is that if you're not close it's no cigar; you're not going to make the program. Had we had an extra 320 feet (1320 feet make up a quarter-mile) in the last couple of races, we probably would have driven around them, but we don't have that right now.

"So, we need to be on our game on the starting line. There's a lot of variables and we need to get them all right. Like Todd said, this is just like the prelims, just qualifying. Once we get to Indy (the U.S. Nationals, the final event before the Countdown begins), we need to be on the same page all the way around, and that's what we intend to work at.

"I'm excited to be racing in Norwalk," said McClenathan, who qualified No. 2 there in 2008. "I also did well there when I competed in IHRA races, and I look forward to doing well there again this weekend."

CORY MCCLENATHAN QUICK FACTS:
* No. 5 in 2009 Top Fuel point standings, with two runner-up, one semifinal, six quarterfinal and two first-round finishes in first 11 events of season
* 116 points out of third place in standings
* Qualified No. 2 in 2008 Norwalk; lost semifinals to Brandon Bernstein
* No. 3 in 2008 Top Fuel point standings, including one win in three final rounds, as well as eight semifinal, six quarterfinal, seven first-round finishes and two No. 1 qualifiers
* Has 30 career Top Fuel victories in 55 final rounds
* First driver to break the 320-mph barrier with 322.17-mph run in Dallas in 1997
* Has recorded 446 career round wins in Top Fuel
* Qualified No. 1 32 times, with a career-high seven times in 1993
* Recorded 400th round win in Top Fuel in Richmond 2007
* Has finished No. 2 in the standings four times (1992, 1995, 1997 & 1998)
* Finished No. 10 in rookie season in 1991; made first 4-second run
* Made NHRA history with first run in the 4.70s (4.799) at Reading in 1992
* Swept the three-race Western Swing in 1997 en route to four consecutive wins and career-high six victories in eight final rounds
* Won four of the first six races in 1998. Equaled career-best with six wins in eight finals
* Won the U.S. Nationals twice (1996, 1999)
* Missed four races in 1993 after crash in Rockingham and still finished sixth in the Top Fuel points
* Age 46 (January 30, 1963); born in Wichita, Kansas, now lives in Brownsburg, Ind.; daughter Courtney (10/25/90)
* Joined Don Schumacher Racing in 2008; 2009 is fourth season with sponsorship from FRAM

Cory Mac Facebook Fan Page:
Cory Mac | Facebook

Cory Mac Fanatics Group:
Cory Mac | Facebook

On Twitter he may be followed on Cory Mac (Cory_Mac_TF) on Twitter

SCHEDULE:
FRIDAY, June 26 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 3:30 and 6:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, June 27 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 12:10 p.m. and 2:05 p.m.
SUNDAY, June 28 - Pre-race ceremonies, 10 a.m. FINAL ELIMINATIONS begin at 11 a.m.

TELEVISION:
Saturday, June 27, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise two hours of qualifying highlights at 8 p.m. (ET).
Sunday June 28, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will air NHRA Race Day at noon. (ET).
Sunday, June 28, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise three hours of eliminations at 7 p.m. (ET).

SATELLITE:
Friday, June 26, 10 - 10:30 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 3K (11760 MHz, vertical) (Analog feed)
Saturday, June 27, 6:30 - 7 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 3K (11760 MHz, vertical)
Sunday, June 28, 6:30 - 7 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 3K (11760 MHz, vertical.
Video news release contains race action highlights each day and winners’ interviews on Sunday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back