Lucas Oil racer Langdon finds redemption with big opening pass in Pomona (1 Viewer)

POMONA, Calif. (Feb. 11) -- Top Fuel racer Shawn Langdon kicked off his sophomore season in the professional ranks Thursday evening with a stellar pass down Auto Club Raceway in Pomona. Langdon, a native of nearby Mira Loma, posted a 3.847-second pass at 309.98 mph in his Lucas Oil/Speedco dragster to grab the No. 2 position in the provisional field.

"I've been waiting to make that pass for three months," Langdon said. "We ended last season right here with our only DNQ of the season and that didn't sit well with any of us. To be standing here with the second quickest pass of the day is a huge boost for this entire team.

"The run was nice and straight and we didn't hurt anything in the motor. It actually rattled the tires early but by the time I realized what was happening it had already cleared itself up. Everything worked great."

The 27-year-old, who now lives in Indianapolis, is second only to veteran racer Cory McClenathan, who went 3.809 at 320.05 mph.

"Cory showed us all the way," Langdon said. "He sure gave us a number to shoot for. My car actually felt like it laid over just a touch at the top end and it looks like our top speed shows that. In testing we were running mid 3.80s just like today but our speed was more in the 315, 316 mph range to we have room to improve."

Langdon's teammate and car owner, Morgan Lucas, encountered engine trouble and drifted through the 1,000-foot timers in 8.580 seconds at 59.18 mph in his GEICO Powersports/Lucas Oil Top Fuel dragster.

In Pro Stock, Larry Morgan put his brand new Lucas Oil Ford Mustang through its first competitive pass, finishing the day 16th overall with a 6.707 at 207.72 mph. A slight clutch problem had Morgan creeping through the staging beams when the Christmas Tree came down, eating into his elapsed time.

Due to local noise ordinances, only one qualifying pass was completed Thursday. The gathered pros will have another attempt at 3 p.m. Friday and two more at noon and 3 p.m. Saturday. Eliminations are slated for Sunday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back