Long Beach Marine Stadium-Ever Go? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
Back in the day, the Lions Drag Strip of Drag Boat racing, Long Beach Marine Stadium was the wet place to be. Ever go. dad and I started to go in 68, mostly just on Sunday elimination day but later expanded to both days.
LBMS was layed out perfectly for the drag boats with close seating, good smooth tacky water and an atmosphere that was electric.

Due to tough noise curfews, they had to work to get it all in. Saturday you could not start an engine till 10:00am and had to finish at 5:00pm. My brother worked for an ambulance company that serviced the track so I got free pit admission. At 10:00am the first 2 classes would be on the ramp and when the 10:00am signal was given, about 20 or 30 boats in various classes would fire up and warm, then launch, fire up and really hot dog to the other end were the start was. For 7 hous qualifying would rock.

Sunday, race day, as usual with a huge crowd on hand, right at 12:00 the signal would go out a warmups began, then eliminations. It was awesome in the day, then the city screwed it up and by I think 78 it was over. Now I believe they have a 2-day Sprint Boat national race.

Here below were some of those classes.
Blown Fuel Hydroplane
Unblown Fuel Hydroplane
Blown Gas Hydroplane
Unblown Gas Hydroplane

Blown Fuel Flatbottom-(My Favorite Class-Al Bush & "The Crazyhorse-Dwight Warners "Nightmare among many)
Unblown Fuel Flatbottom
Blown Gas Flatbottom
Unblown Gas Flatbottom

Blown Fuel Jet (Boy were these boats engine abusers)
Ski Modified

TopFuel@Lions

That's back a longtime ago. Back when we would drive the boat to the holding rope and do what was considered a burn out. Now the boats get towed to the rope makes for a lot of down time. .
But many will say it's better now,

At that time in history, everytime LBMS opened I was there, the crowds and the women were unreal. Here are just a few of some of the names of boats I recall.
Climax
Western Mag Special
Smoke on the Water
The Crucifier
Hot Jawz
Dur Fuerer
Proud Mary
The Godfather
The Guzzler-(Jack Ostrander driving)
Crazy Horse
Plum Crazy
Another Ben Had

One of the most killer events ever for the NDBA was the "nationals" held in August, that was a 3-day event, the only one allowed by the city, 16-boat fields in all categories except Ski-Modified that had 32. All the fields had more than full fields and incredible bumping action.

Friday was reserved for only unblown boats if I recall right while Saturday had only SuperCharged entries, it was awesome.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

They've actually have had a couple of boat races there this year, one about a month ago. Not drags but circle boats.

One boat that has always been my favorite was the Blown Fuel Flat called "Panic Mouse" driven by Ray Caselli (my dad was involved with that boat.

I went looking for videos of that boat as it was restored about ten years ago and found this video:

They've actually have had a couple of boat races there this year, one about a month ago. Not drags but circle boats.

One boat that has always been my favorite was the Blown Fuel Flat called "Panic Mouse" driven by Ray Caselli (my dad was involved with that boat.

I went looking for videos of that boat as it was restored about ten years ago and found this video:

That was the Sprint Boat Nationals, I shot that event a couple of years back. All kinds of classes circle boats, K Boats, GP, and the Crackers come out too. It's a nice sort of venue and has a Pomona feel to it since it's also in a residential type area.

Panic Mouse still comes out the boat drag events the last I knew, I know I've seen them several times when I was following the national races, particularly during the World Finals.

I was there that day that Casselli took flight in the Panic Mouse, one of the most iconic and photographed drag boat crashers ever. That was before the BFF's used the wings.

To me one of my most favorite runs ever at LBMS was when Gary Scow driving "The Beast" Blown Fuel Hydro flew to that 200mph run. I was a big fan of Kenny West and Dennis Pollacia, guys had "sacks" the size of basketballs.

TopFuel@Lions

00000008.JPG

That was the Sprint Boat Nationals, I shot that event a couple of years back. All kinds of classes circle boats, K Boats, GP, and the Crackers come out too. It's a nice sort of venue and has a Pomona feel to it since it's also in a residential type area.

Panic Mouse still comes out the boat drag events the last I knew, I know I've seen them several times when I was following the national races, particularly during the World Finals.

I have to say, those Cracker Box Boats look like a lot of fun. Of course, I most likely change my mind if I ever did get a ride in one.

Great pics again. That place had such a electric atmosphere, a big event feel to it. The boat with the driver with the mohawk, looks like the Centurion.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer:cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back