Let the Battle Begin: Team Mopar(R)'s Johnson Commences Playoffs Fight at NHRA Caroli (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Six races. That's what the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series boils down to for Allen Johnson. The Mopar(R)/J&J Racing Dodge Stratus R/T driver is fifth in the standings entering the NHRA Countdown to 1 playoffs and would love to kick his title push in gear with a victory at the first playoff stop, the NHRA Carolinas Nationals. The event is scheduled for Sept. 17–20 at zMax Dragway in Concord, N.C.

Johnson ran his Mopar HEMI(R)-powered Pro Stock Dodge through its paces during two days of test sessions last week at zMax Dragway, endeavoring to master the ins-and-outs of the quarter-mile, which debuted in 2008 on the NHRA circuit. The Team Mopar driver says he will enter the first event in the six-race Countdown to 1 playoffs with excitement and confidence.

"We are really looking forward to it. I feel like even though we had a hiccup at Indy [in a first-round exit at the Mac Tool U.S. Nationals], it was my fault and we know why it happened, so it can be easily corrected," Johnson said. "I really believe our Mopar HEMI engines, our J&J Racing Dodge Stratus, myself—we are at the top of our game entering the Countdown to 1, where it really means something. I'm looking forward to the challenge of it, looking forward to getting to it and finishing the year up in a way that will really make everyone at Mopar and Chrysler Group LLC proud."

The NHRA's recently announced modifications to its point system may help Johnson and his team in their fight for a first Pro Stock title. Teams with the quickest elapsed time (E.T.) during each qualifying session will receive bonus points. A team that records low E.T. all four sessions could receive a total of 12 bonus points during qualifying. Johnson has been extremely consistent in qualifying throughout 2009, placing his Mopar-powered Dodge in the top half of the field in 16 of 18 NHRA events thus far. Johnson also captured the No. 1 Qualifier Award at the Seattle NHRA event in July.

"I think it [the new point system] favors us, maybe not as much as Mike Edwards [winner of nine Pro Stock No. 1 Qualifier Awards in 2009], but it does play into our hands," Johnson remarked. "We've been among the best in the Pro Stock class during qualifying over the last two years. If we can continue or even better our track record during qualifying come the playoffs, the added bonus points will sure help our push to bring home a championship."

The NHRA Carolinas Nationals is scheduled to take place Sept. 17–20 at zMax Dragway in Concord, N.C. Qualifying for pro classes will begin on Friday, Sept. 18. Two hours of qualifying coverage will air on Saturday, Sept. 19, beginning at 11:30 p.m. (EDT) on ESPN2 and ESPN2HD. Three hours of eliminations coverage will air on Sunday, Sept. 20, beginning at 7 p.m. (EDT) on ESPN2 and ESPN2HD. For more information on the NHRA, log on to NHRA.com.

Attachments

• nhraps97.jpg
    nhraps97.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 5
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back