Les Welch career NHRA photographer suddenly passes (1 Viewer)

The Little Lizard

Nitro Member
It is with a heavy heart I pass on the word that a friend of mine Les Welch has passed away. Les was a legendary career NHRA photographer and peer of fellow drag racing photography legend Steve Reyes. The brothers also had many rich and diverse experiences in the sport of drag racing. I will miss my friend and I know he has gods speed. The Fremont Raceway facebook page has posted a note they indicates it's from Les's brother Rich who lives here locally in Sacramento where I reside the message they posted publicly is on the fremont raceway facebook page and reads as follows:

les_welch.jpg

From Rich Welch :
It is with great sadness that I inform you that my brother Les Welch has passed away. He would have been 70 years old on March 18th of this year.

Many of you knew him, but for those of you that didn’t, Les was a popular photographer and member of the NHRA family since the mid 1960’s. He began his photographic career working with me when I was a race car photographer. In the 60’s Les shot pictures with me at Fremont Drag Strip, Half Moon Bay, Sacramento Raceway, Kingdon (Lodi), Vaca Valley and occasionally on our trips to Southern California when his schedule permitted. At that time Les was a successful musician in the 1960’s San Francisco rock scene, arranging, performing, recording and touring.

Eventually, Les migrated away from music. While on tour he had met his wife-to-be Joann, moved to Southern California, got married, and became a “regular” in the Southern California drag racing scene. He started his company “Les Welch Color Photography” and as his business grew the couple bought a motor home and went “on tour” supplying photos to racers and sponsors across the country. Since then his drag racing photographs have been used in major corporate advertising campaigns, in driver and sponsor promotional materials, magazines, and newspapers. His photos adorn the walls of sponsor’s offices worldwide.

Les retired from shooting NHRA events a few years ago to take care of his ailing wife Jo who passed away in late 2010, but he continued the successful online photo sales effort through his website.

Besides my wife Kathleen and I, Les is survived by his two sons Jack and George (and their wives) of Las Vegas, a nephew Mike Welch in Humbolt County and a niece, Toni Welch-Edelman and her family in Kentucky.

Jack and George also shot photos at NHRA events for their Dad’s company over the years. This was truely a family business. The sons will continue their heritage and offer the historic motorsport photos at the current website: Les Welch Color Photography.

Instead of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the NHRA charity organization “D.R.A.W.” (Drag Racing Association of Women) at the website: Drag racing Association of Women Home.

Les Welch Color Photography
Les Welch Color Photography
Home of Les Welch Color Photography on the Net, motorsports photography since 1964.

messages and condolences can be left at the fremont drag strip facebook page at web-link: https://www.facebook.com/rich.welch.50#!/FremontDragstrip

:(

Last edited:
Sad, heard this today and was shocked. He was always prevalent on Facebook and I was wondering why he has been quiet lately. RIP Les!

I always enjoyed my yearly visits with Les on the Brainerd starting line. I'm very saddened by the news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Very sad news. Les was a real nice guy and always stopped to chat for a min or two. During winner circle photos he was a riot. RIP

Here is a wonderful example of Les's fine work, it's a photo of a good friend of mine I worked at Tognotti's with Rand Davis's father Joe Davis driving the 1967 NHRA Super Eliminator World Champion "Jewel T" altered of Davis and Ingram, at web-link:

http://www.leswelch.com/oldstuff/29/image1.html

Lots of Les's historical photographic art is located at his website "Les Welch Color Photography", at web link:Les Welch Color Photography

Last edited:
I just made my donation in my friend Les's Welch's name to DRAW, at web-link: Drag racing Association of Women Home

Now it's time for those that enjoy Les's wonderful work and the drag racing community to step up and follow my lead in donating to DRAW in Les's name. It would be especially nice to see Les's peers in the media field and those he provided his artistic racing images in the racing community as well as industry, i.e. NHRA, Competitionplus.com, Drag Racing online, We did it for love.com, draglist.com, speed-zone.com, dragraceusa.com, dragcentral.com, etc. to honor his memory with a selfless gift in his name.
DRAW is a great charity and has done wonderful work for the drag racing community for decades.

DRAW member Mark Clayton

I couldn't believe it when I read Richard Shute's FB post yesterday. Then a couple hours later more posts about his death appeared. I never got to meet Les in person, we were just FB friends, but I loved his comments on my posts, and of course I was a big fan of his photography. Rest In Peace, Les. :(

I met Les back in the 90's in Topeka, I was talking with Leslie Lovett during a Rain delay, and Les walks up and starts chatting with us. Ever since then we always chatted when we saw each other at the track, Restrurant, etc...And now both Leslie and Les are now gone! :(

Sad to hear this. My dad took me to the inaugural race at the Texas Motorplex when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Between the Ennis race and the Houston race, we've been pretty much every year since. We began several traditions over the years, and one of them was spotting Les at the starting line in his black shirt and blue jeans. Sadly this tradition, as well as others, is now gone. I never met Les, but his memory will always be at the track. RIP Les.

Les was a good man. I enjoyed talking to him at the events I had the pleasure to shoot at.
He was always willing to share his knowledge with me, I will truly miss him.
He hasn't attended races for a while he chose to spend more time taking care of his wife. I would call him occasionally to check on how he was doing.
Rest in peace Les you will be missed. :(

Just had lunch with Les 3 weeks ago last friday, Said he was going in for a procedure the following week and his boys were coming down. he seemed fine! Hair longer than I've seen him wear! Still Driving his white wagon! Will miss our lunches and bull****ting sesions. Rest in piece Les

Mike Cornelius
AKA Nitromike:(:(

I'm blessed to have been an acquaintance of Les and missed him at the track as of late.
Back in the day when Prodigy was a internet service, Les was the thankless leader of putting together a run by run report of national events...just like Drag Race Central still does...he gave me the opportunity to do the reporting once from Bandimere!
He was always friendly when we ran into each other at the races and always said he had the best seat in the house as a photographer! :eek:

So sorry to hear. I always remembering seeing him at the events I went to. He will be greatly missed. God Speed.

very sorry to hear of his passing, Les was a great friend. It was always nice to see Les on sunday afternoon in the winner's circle. he was a hellava photographer, but never took things so seriously that he wouldn't partake of the joking around. R.I.P. Les.Best wishes to his family!

Pat

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back