Leah Wins FSS (1 Viewer)

Too bad the GM contingent doesn’t feel that same way.

Don't throw a blanket over all of us, Ted, because I am totally fine with it. And as long as the sanctioning body does their part in staying on top of things, there's no reason it can't stay that way.

Sean D

Except for being a fan of this class, I have no dog in this hunt, but this needed to be done. I'll readily admit that I favor a similar solution in pro stock car.

Otherwise this will eventually turn into FSChallenger ....

If I looked at the year to date results correctly, Camaros have won two national FSS titles this season, as have the Challengers.
That sounds pretty equal to me.
So why penalize only the Dodges? Shouldn't the Camaros also have weight added in order to let the Cobra Jets win?
What happened to the concept of "run what ya' brung, just hope you brung enough"?

If I looked at the year to date results correctly, Camaros have won two national FSS titles this season, as have the Challengers.
That sounds pretty equal to me.
So why penalize only the Dodges? Shouldn't the Camaros also have weight added in order to let the Cobra Jets win?
What happened to the concept of "run what ya' brung, just hope you brung enough"?

Personally, I agree with that. I think it's a little early to start weight factoring.

That said, I was browsing around the other day and am I correct that the they're all running the same boost, with the Ford being the smallest cubic inch, with Chevrolet in the middle and Mopar the largest? If that's the case, I'm surprised they didn't come out already factored at least a little bit due to the difference in cubic inches. Even if that is the case, I'm cool to let it ride for a while to let it all wash out. The class is amazing to watch.

Sean D

AND we wonder why MOPAR does not want to spend money on drag racing`...................
lets take what the factory builds and create a class they can run in.....
OH wait, this is not working how we (NHRA) want.........
you (MOPAR) have the best combo so you have to carry 50 lbs extra........
if the CI thing is the reason why is it not MOPAR, GM -25, Ford -50??

Sorry guys I am having flashbacks.................

Y'all might want to slide over to classracer and have a look at what David Barton posted on the subject...........

Sean D

I read his posts. The one line that sticks out is; “We (Chevy) are at a huge disadvantage and that’s just not fair.”
I almost had to break out a hankie.
Be sure to read Jeff Teuton’s retorts.

Personally, I don't understand what's so hard to deal with. If they want it to be a true factory class, make the use of factory parts mandatory, the same blower boost (which it appears to be that way now) and factor them for weight for the cubic inch difference. What am I missing?

Sean D

So basically the GM guys got butthurt that the Mopars qualified at the top and won at the US Nationals so they whined and cried until the NHRA caved. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't understand what's so hard to deal with. If they want it to be a true factory class, make the use of factory parts mandatory, the same blower boost (which it appears to be that way now) and factor them for weight for the cubic inch difference. What am I missing?

Sean D

Dont say the F word around Ken. I'm really not sure how you make everyone happy. So you keep it as is Chevy and Ford pull out because they have no shot. Then you have an all Mopar FSS and nobody wants that. Oh and who says Mopar does not spend money in drag racing? They sponsor FC and TF car along with at least on race.

I'm not seeing Chevy and Ford pulling out, personally. Not this early, anyway. But if, and that's a big IF, Mopar was granted the use of something that doesn't reflect a current combination, as well as parts not being available to everybody, then I don't want to hear sh!t out of the Mopar camp about this weight. And again, IF what Barton is saying is true, I simply can't believe the NHRA is dumb enough to essentially go down the same road with this class that they did with PSB, especially with a brand new class.

I use "if" quite liberally, because let's face it; nobody on this board has serious inside knowledge (at least the ones who are speaking......;)). But when you hop over to classracer, there's no denying Barton and Teuton's clout. Barton is making some pretty significant, as well as strong claims, while Teuton never really rebukes him other than telling him to work harder. He even appears to have acknowledged the issue with parts availability, saying essentially, "that's just how it is with Mopar".

On another note, it looks like if weight factoring was enforced, the Ford stands the most to gain. 50 cubes down and running right with the Chevy's already. Different head, I realize, but still.

Regardless how this all turns out, I love this class!

Sean D

Well I went over to classracer and did some reading. What I found interesting is, the cages in the cars are certified to 3600 lb cars, that is the ONLY reason they did not add more weight to the Challenger and had to REDUCE the GM and Ford, they can not make the Challenger HEAVIER.

Dont say the F word around Ken. I'm really not sure how you make everyone happy. So you keep it as is Chevy and Ford pull out because they have no shot. Then you have an all Mopar FSS and nobody wants that. Oh and who says Mopar does not spend money in drag racing? They sponsor FC and TF car along with at least on race.

I would own a Ford long before I even considered a GM product....................swing and a miss Wayne.

IMO once a driver turns "Pro" they should not be allowed to drive in the non pro classes. Think about the guy who has spent his life working to get to the finals in the big show then has to face a Leah, Erica or Jeg or one of the many others who "play" in the lower classes.
Who owns the car or sponsors it is one thing but to bring in pro drivers is another again IMO.
Theres a long history of "pro" racers racing in the sportsman classes, Jeggie has a long history of doing this. Erica Enders is doing this as well. Having big names running these classes brings a lot of interest & excitement to the sportsman classes. Getting more fans into the stands when they generally clear out when the last nitro car goes down the track.

I would own a Ford long before I even considered a GM product....................swing and a miss Wayne.

I've owned several makes of cars over the years and would NEVER make a decision not to purchase a car just because it was a certain brand. This is not the 60's or 70's.

I've owned several makes of cars over the years and would NEVER make a decision not to purchase a car just because it was a certain brand. This is not the 60's or 70's.

I'm a GM guy through and through, but I will say this; since I quit the springmaking industry and took over my late Father's repair shop, one thing is for absolute certain; every single manufacturer, and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE has proven themselves to be more than capable of producing a piece of sh!t, showcasing terrible engineering and design. Lol! There is now way some of these folks have ever worked on cars, and in many cases, I wonder if some of them have even been around cars. And that doesn't take into account the executives that okay some of this stuff. o_O

Sean D

At least on the surface it looks like the Chevrolet people were embarrassed by the Mopar dominance at Indy and complained to NHRA. But factoring seems premature with such a young class. The COPOs have 2 wins on the season, as do the Drag Paks - hardly a lack of parity. If anyone should be complaining it should be the Cobra Jets. Give it some time to play out to see if one make really does have an advantage, and then consider factoring. It just smells like NHRA playing favorites at this early stage, and reeks of the same tactics that ruined Pro Stock.

At least on the surface it looks like the Chevrolet people were embarrassed by the Mopar dominance at Indy and complained to NHRA. But factoring seems premature with such a young class. The COPOs have 2 wins on the season, as do the Drag Paks - hardly a lack of parity. If anyone should be complaining it should be the Cobra Jets. Give it some time to play out to see if one make really does have an advantage, and then consider factoring. It just smells like NHRA playing favorites at this early stage, and reeks of the same tactics that ruined Pro Stock.

"At least on the surface it looks like the Chevrolet people were embarrassed by the Mopar dominance at Indy and complained to NHRA."

You have proof of the this?

"It just smells like NHRA playing favorites at this early stage, and reeks of the same tactics that ruined Pro Stock."

Smells like a Mopar guy whining to me?

It doesn’t take a scientific rocket to believe GM didn’t like the fact there were two Mopars in the FSS final at the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals.
Just curious, when is the last time a GM race package has been penalized to the benefit of Mopar or Ford?
This latest penalty is nothing more than an acknowledgement of mediocrity, the same as what happened in PS for the 1972 season.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back