Just saw this on MSN.com (1 Viewer)

Tony

Nitro Member
The press release falsely claims: As the sport's first openly gay driver, he also made history in a sport not typically known for diversity.

Last edited:
The press release falsely claims: As the sport's first openly gay driver, he also made history in a sport not typically known for diversity.
whoever wrote the article doesn't know very much - that's all I'll say so this thread doesn't turn into a nightmare of people calling out people. NHRA has always been diverse at the home office, with team members etc...

What does this possibly have anything to do with driving a race car? Of all the things not important at all with racing in the NHRA this tops the list. It seems someone is trying to make some kind of non racing statement about something completely off of any importance to competition and it just doesn’t matter. See you at the starting line and bring your best racing skills - end of story.

Unsolicited advice to sponsor: I don't believe it's in your, or Shumake's, best interests to announce your participation as "Travis Shumake is now queering the racetrack as NHRA's first openly gay professional drag racer". Just me; your mileage may vary.
We're glad to have the racer; keep the personal where it belongs - PRIVATE. As for NHRA's lack of diversity that's complete nonsense and not even worthy of discussion.

You gain my respect by your actions on the track….not what you may or may not be bringing to racing. This is why some racers coming in with all sorts of braggadocio turn me off (example - don’t start fuel funny car racing saying you consider Force just another competitor to be beaten….)
So, Force is not another competitor to be beaten? Are you supposed to bow down? I don't get it

Everyone is a competitor,put whoever is in the other lane in the trailer.Who cares who they are.
Because they are sure going to try to beat you.
There can only be one winner,why can't it be you?

So, Force is not another competitor to be beaten? Are you supposed to bow down? I don't get it
I think Bob Reese is being misinterpreted.
A lot of people say they want to beat Force. But, judging by his record number of wins and championships, he is not just another racer. I'm no Force fan but his record speaks for itself.
If you're new to fuel racing and want to make an impression, keep your mouth shut, because talk is cheap. Let your racing speak for you.

If being openly gay allows Travis to get the sponsorship money needed to go racing, great for him! He seems like a nice guy and maybe it will help separate it from all the others chasing sponsorship. looking though the comments on Twitter made me laugh. One user said “in the only motorsports that you have to stay straight to win”.

this website is also linked to cases involving adult male predators.
best wishes to travis and his racing endeavors.

What does this possibly have anything to do with driving a race car? Of all the things not important at all with racing in the NHRA this tops the list. It seems someone is trying to make some kind of non racing statement about something completely off of any importance to competition and it just doesn’t matter. See you at the starting line and bring your best racing skills - end of story.

A sponsor is using a driver with a unique demographic to reach an audience. Race cars need sponsors to fund their racing. That all has a lot to do with driving a race car.

Unsolicited advice to sponsor: I don't believe it's in your, or Shumake's, best interests to announce your participation as "Travis Shumake is now queering the racetrack as NHRA's first openly gay professional drag racer". Just me; your mileage may vary.
We're glad to have the racer; keep the personal where it belongs - PRIVATE. As for NHRA's lack of diversity that's complete nonsense and not even worthy of discussion.

I don't think Grindr is particularly concerned about their phrasing. Travis has the right to make his life as public as he wants - it's not his problem if people still can't handle that in 2022.

this website is also linked to cases involving adult male predators.
best wishes to travis and his racing endeavors.

Oh geez, unclutch those pearls. It's a dating app - of which plenty exist for all sexualities. I doubt you'd be writing the same thing if Brittany Force got sponsored by Tinder.

For everyone who says NHRA has all the diversity in the world, look at the Facebook comments on any post concerning Travis and tell me there isn't a problem with homophobia...

Very happy for Travis! He works hard to pursue his dream of doing this and isn't ashamed about who he is.

On the flip side, it was a bit shocking seeing this, but only because of who the sponsor is. Will NHRA allow it? They didn't allow the brothel to sponsor Gilby back in the 2000's and how much more shocking should it have been than the Penthouse sponsorship back in 1999? I'm sure there will be a lot of people stunned and definitely expect the jokes to be told...but for those of us that DGAF, we will continue to support these guys and gals!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back