Jim Dunn - where’s the horsepower? (1 Viewer)

If it's the same guy, that's crazy!
It's him. If you Google Jim Campbell Fireman there are similar articles with photos of him.

I remembered hearing that he was a fireman, so last year at Pomona I happened to be at the races with a fireman friend, so I introduced my friend to Campbell when walking the pits. Campbell told us that he was a retired fireman from Arizona. Turns out he's a pretend fireman.

Yeah, I just read about him on google. Sounds to me like he's on some level of a con man. Wonder where he's getting his money from and what Dunn thinks of this guy considering his history. Especially since Dunn was a fireman himself.
I've wondered the same thing. How could Jim Dunn take this guy seriously given JD's background? If he still has his safety products business, that's likely the source of the income. It sounds like he really was a paramedic in AZ before his credit card fraud deal.

I had a hard time believing this was true but there are pictures with the articles on Google and it's definitely our Jim Campbell. However, these articles are 12 years old so it's definitely possible that he has put that all behind him. My experiences with him at the races have all been positive so let's hope he has turned things around and deserves a second chance.

Shady people in racing? Wow, never seen that before. Racing is like a drug and some people will do whatever it takes to get it, I don't care if you're talking about a Saturday Night oval track or the top echelon of Indy cars, they've always been there somewhere. Personally I'm more disturbed that someone on this board would bad mouth Jim Dunn after all the years he's dedicated to this sport than I would be that someone of questionable morals is using his money to get a ride.

Jim Dunn doesn't need me to defend him but I will anyway. He's earned the right many times over to race every friggin time the desire hits him. If you don't agree why don't you champion keyboard crew chiefs get off of your butt and get a sponsor and put together a team and car. Perhaps in a few years you might be able to get a car down the track without spraying oil and parts everywhere. J.C people your jealous envy is pathetic. How can you face yourselves every morning in the mirror without throwing up.

I just love the comments about how Dunn is taking sponsors that otherwise could go to younger teams. If these other teams were as serious about being on the race track as Jim Dunn, I'd think they would be selling themselves to these sponsors as well. Apparently these sponsors see value in putting their names on the side of Dunn's race car rather than the others. Dunn is obviously content with being on the road and running at the back of the pack and his sponsors see the value in it. Good on him for running his program his way.

I have nothing but admiration for Big Jim Dunn and how he has been able to race all these years. What I have a big problem with is learning that his current shoe has stolen valor....doesn't matter if you are a cop, fireman or in the military, that is unforgivable....and a sign of deeper mental problems

Yea, but it is about how to keep those sponsors too. There is only so much to command when you are not putting more beef into the motor. IMO, it is not about age at all. You have Force at 70, winning races and REALISTICALLY having a car that can win a 17th championship. You have Dunn who can qualify 95% of the time, and lost first round 99% of the time. Who are you going to sponsor?

Force costs multi millions

Dunn under a million

each get 4 qualifying passes

each get first round

Dunn goes out and so do 7 others, 50% go home

Maybe Force stays in maybe not, 8 cars have to go on the trailer

so for a couple million more best case you get 3 more passes.

probably the same 8 cars every week Dunn, Haddock, Diehl, Bode, Lindbergh, so lets give their sponsors away too.

Big Jim is a great guy and a legend in The NHRA. I enjoy talking with him and hearing his stories of when he was on the job as a firemen. Jon is a true genius when it comes to sponsorships, I wish I knew what he does. I'am a licensed fuel funny car driver and a REAL firefighter for The Chicago Fire Dept. I Always thought it would be cool to drive for Jim and bring back The Fireman Quickie. The struggles of finding a sponsor are unbelievable. I've been trying everyday for years to put something together as well as looking for rides. Getting close but until the deals are signed nothing is official. Hats off to Jim and Jon for being out there doing what many of us wish we could be doing.

Hmmmmm, web site looks professional. You have to hope he does a good job at teaching people. Like Brian said, you have to hope Campbell "ain't like he used to be".

Winternationals DNQ.
It is a brand new car with a lot of changes made over the winter and there were a few glitches but each one was addressed. I have no doubt in my mind that they will be running stronger then ever real soon. I'm really looking forward to watching them haul ass this year. I have never worked for anyone that knows as much about making a car run decent numbers without hurting parts like Jim Dunn can. He sure made my job doing cylinder heads easy for the past 5 years.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back