Jim Dunn - where’s the horsepower? (1 Viewer)

Jim Dunn continues to race because he loves doing it. They don't get enough runs to compete with 3.8 et's and run their car softer to save parts. They run within their limitations. Cambell is not the best driver but brings $$$ they need. I'm sure it's frustrating.
Wonder how much money a driver usually brings??

Jim Dunn continues to race because he loves doing it. They don't get enough runs to compete with 3.8 et's and run their car softer to save parts. They run within their limitations. Cambell is not the best driver but brings $$$ they need. I'm sure it's frustrating.
Ken you are absolutely right. Big Jim and Jon have the knowledge & ability to run in the 3.90's but can't afford to do it on their budget.

They got after it pretty good in Sonoma Q2. It was on it’s way to a .95 or .96 but caught the blocks. It has 3’s in it.

I would like to ask the rest of the fuel racers how much the NHRA helps them with obtaining sponsership money. I have a feeling what that answer may be.

comparing dunn to force is a joke when it comes to sponsors I bet NHRA suits has a hand in helping dunn getting sponsors he is part of the old click

There's a reason he's getting the sponsors he's getting, as well as why those sponsors aren't going to other drivers/teams. You've been around long enough that I'd like to think you know that. When you consider how hard he DOESN'T run his car, it's not tough to figure out he's likely giving primary sponsor signage on the car for associate sponsor money (or less.......). And those budget numbers don't play well at the level that most everybody else wants to try to compete at.

C'mon, Guy......

Sean D

There's a reason he's getting the sponsors he's getting, as well as why those sponsors aren't going to other drivers/teams. You've been around long enough that I'd like to think you know that. When you consider how hard he DOESN'T run his car, it's not tough to figure out he's likely giving primary sponsor signage on the car for associate sponsor money (or less.......). And those budget numbers don't play well at the level that most everybody else wants to try to compete at.

C'mon, Guy......

Sean D
yes u hav a point but NHRA has its favorites and if u r in the click u get special treatment and help on sponsors,, as I said if I have a choice of buying what he is promoting it want happen vs if say a younger team needs help of buying a product they have sponsorship with

Hey IMO Jim Dunn is out there every race year after year, how many "stars" are sitting home watching from the couch?
He runs within his budget, almost always makes the show and is doing what he loves/knows. He rarely hurts parts runs in the 3.9 4.0 range.
Who here can say that they have been able to fund a fuel car for one season, one race?

if driver errors are in part paid for by the driver?....... have always enjoyed following jim dunn racing. no clue how it all works, but i think we all have a pretty good idea
watching the plethora of sponsors and average at best performance over the years (except kenji years). have said it before, IMO you don't need to land in the winner's circle to
provide great exposure for a sponsor. mooneyes, oberto, 7-11, lucas oil, and many others are just as ingrained on my brain as any other top funded and sponsored effort.
if jim campbell struggles as a driver, he knows it and will either pay for more cuz he can, and he's addicted, or he'll step aside and the next chapter of jim dunn racing will unfold.

if driver errors are in part paid for by the driver?....... have always enjoyed following jim dunn racing. no clue how it all works, but i think we all have a pretty good idea
watching the plethora of sponsors and average at best performance over the years (except kenji years). have said it before, IMO you don't need to land in the winner's circle to
provide great exposure for a sponsor. mooneyes, oberto, 7-11, lucas oil, and many others are just as ingrained on my brain as any other top funded and sponsored effort.
if jim campbell struggles as a driver, he knows it and will either pay for more cuz he can, and he's addicted, or he'll step aside and the next chapter of jim dunn racing will unfold.[/QUOTE

For me, I know more of Big Jims sponsors then most other drivers because I am amazed that with his track record he manages to always have a sponsor and is racing.
Heck even my wife comments about it, she will say something like the car never gets past first round but he always has a sponsor.
And as far as exposure he gets four qualifying and if he goes out first round so do 7 other sponsors so his sponsors are getting some good bang for the buck.
After first round the same 8 cars are usually there so they get the "big" sponsors.

if jim campbell struggles as a driver, he knows it and will either pay for more cuz he can, and he's addicted, or he'll step aside and the next chapter of jim dunn racing will unfold.

NHRA has always taken care of Big Jim. :)

Yea, but it is about how to keep those sponsors too. There is only so much to command when you are not putting more beef into the motor. IMO, it is not about age at all. You have Force at 70, winning races and REALISTICALLY having a car that can win a 17th championship. You have Dunn who can qualify 95% of the time, and lost first round 99% of the time. Who are you going to sponsor?

From my understanding, Jim Campbell is a retired fireman. No idea what he pays Jim Dunn to wheel that car, but to do it on a fireman's pension is impressive.

Jim Dunn is a retired Fireman too... ;)
bdab522a6996ac94b409a0d3d8d5b321.jpg

unrelated to their poor performance but I didn't want to start another thread. How about that other no name black funny car that dumped more oil on the track this weekend than the Exxon Valdez

unrelated to their poor performance but I didn't want to start another thread. How about that other no name black funny car that dumped more oil on the track this weekend than the Exxon Valdez

That car is making progress at least. At least Haddock is past the blowing up every run phase.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back