Is the Winternationals in jeopardy now? (1 Viewer)

Well Pomona's not 'til April, but hey, who knows? That's a long time from now!

Wild Horse in Phoenix still has their race as "tentative". But I would love to see the Winternats there. AHRA used to hold their Wimternats at Beeline, so maybe NHRA could start a new trend.

Wild Horse in Phoenix still has their race as "tentative". But I would love to see the Winternats there. AHRA used to hold their Wimternats at Beeline, so maybe NHRA could start a new trend.

Funny you mentioned Beeline, I dont know if you live in the east valley but if you are out that way, stop by the Shell gas station at the corner of McDowell and Beeline Hwy. They re-did it a few years ago and it is now called the Beeline pitstop. There are old photos of the tower and of I think Ed The Ace's car on the starting line on the windows. If you go inside on one of the back walls there are about a half a dozen photos and annotations giving a quick history of Beeline Dragway, I think you would enjoy it.

Thanks Zed. I live in the West Valley but I know about where that gas station is. I still remember the "old" Beeline Hiway, before they updated it to what it is now, nice 2 lanes on each side (used to be 1 lane). When I first moved to Phoenix in 1986 I took a drive & saw the old tower from Beeline. Don't know if it is still there but it was pretty ratty back then. I moved to AZ in 1981, lived in Nogales, Tucson & then Phx. Went to races at the old Tucson strip, then Firebird (Wild Horse) & the "new" Tucson track, which is what, 30 years old???

NASCAR, who now owns the Auto Club Speedway, wants to downsize the track to like a one mile oval and has petition the county for the change. this may be why the change of venue if not for the pandemic.

Rumor around So Cal is that the drag strip is going away for good this time, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

Thanks Zed. I live in the West Valley but I know about where that gas station is. I still remember the "old" Beeline Hiway, before they updated it to what it is now, nice 2 lanes on each side (used to be 1 lane). When I first moved to Phoenix in 1986 I took a drive & saw the old tower from Beeline. Don't know if it is still there but it was pretty ratty back then. I moved to AZ in 1981, lived in Nogales, Tucson & then Phx. Went to races at the old Tucson strip, then Firebird (Wild Horse) & the "new" Tucson track, which is what, 30 years old???
They tore the tower down a couple years ago. I use to drive by it everyday when I worked at Fort McDowell, all of a sudden one day it was gone.

NASCAR, who now owns the Auto Club Speedway, wants to downsize the track to like a one mile oval and has petition the county for the change. this may be why the change of venue if not for the pandemic.

Rumor around So Cal is that the drag strip is going away for good this time, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

They were still going to run the race on the current 2.5 mile track this year and then start demoltion/construction of the new half mile layout which was suppose to be completed in time for the 2022 race.

Cliff, if I could I would send a goon squad to you "casa" to address your hope that the Winters be in Arizona. The Winternationals should always be at Pomona, always. History, tradition and drama at Parker Avenue. Seems Mr. Minick and myself have issues with your ideas and hopes,lol.

TopFuel@Lions

Mark, ya don't need a goon squad. Call my wife. hahahahahahahahaha BTW, I do agree that Pomona is Pomona, probably the oldest track in the country now, since 1951. But, if Calif wants to close it, then it's out of our hands. I know NHRA leases it from LA County Fairgrounds, Have heard the "it's gonna close" rumor for a long time. I don't trust Calif gov't, especially cuz they want to phase out non-electric cars & where is that gonna lead? IF Pomona did close, Vegas or Phoenix would be the closest tracks & both have good weather in Feb. Well, hope it is just a rumor.

I hear ya Cliff, Mrs. TopFuel@Lions once did a elbow drop from the top rope and a vertical suplex on Gorilla Monsoon that made him scream uncle,LOL The California gov is a whole different cluster and I would not put nuthin' past 'em. Just my ample gut feeling is that Pomona is not going anywhere.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

According to the Atlanta being sold thread,, part of the proceeds from the sale will be used for a new surface at Pomona.........

I don't think anyone wants to see Pomona go away. It is one of the few monuments left in the sport. Sadly it is rarely used, even in good times and spends most of the year sitting forlornly in a metropolitan area. Many of us have great memories of sitting in rickety steel and wood bleachers and walking the well worn asphalt. I took my Frank Hawley class (Beckman was my instructor) there and it was magical running down this legendary strip. It is nicer today and a real shame there isn't a weekly program. I won't miss the parking mafia.

I think the neighbors would go nutso if Pomona had weekly events. When I first went there, they raced every Sunday. A long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away......

NHRA has moved the Phoenix Lucas race scheduled for May until October & the rumor is that the Winternationals will not happen in April as scheduled. With California under lockdown again who knows what will happen?

Indy Car has rescheduled the Long Beach race until the Fall due to Covid concerns. I kinda wonder if there will be any racing at all in California at all in 2021?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back