Is it just me, or have concert ticket prices become insane? (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I went to book tickets for Rush and Faith No More today (went on sale at 10:00 Eastern time) and I was astounded at ticket prices. Over $150 for each show, and that price did not get you good seats. Some seats old for over $600! For all the complaining here about NHRA ticket prices, I get way more bang for my buck going to a national event for a day. Or than I would for a stick and ball sporting event (though Fenway usually has good prices for a Red Sox game)

I blame ticketf*cker. Err, I mean ticketmaster. I am afraid I'll get gouged even more when I came back later and look on StubHub.

It's not you, ticket prices are unreal. But if you have a group like Rush that packs the arenas every night, I guess they can name their price. I recently plunked down $250 for Jeff Beck, but this was for a package that includes front row seats, early admission for the sound check, and some some extra goodies. He is one of a very few that I would pay that price for.

For all the complaining here about NHRA ticket prices, I get way more bang for my buck going to a national event for a day.

I wholeheartly agree with that. The most I've spent on concert tickets was $136 (including fees) to see King Crimson last year in a 1000 seat theatre. Over the last 20 years or so, I find myself searching for newer bands who play in clubs and smaller venues for reasonable prices.

I blame ticketf*cker. Err, I mean ticketmaster.

You mean TICKETBASTARD.

The most I've spent on concert tickets was $136 (including fees) to see King Crimson last year in a 1000 seat theatre.

Nice. I wanted to see them with the Adrian Belew/Tony Levin/Bill Bruford/Robert Fripp lineup. Now that I think about it, Robert Fripp *is* King Crimson. He's been the only constant.

Got my ticket to see Rush in Greensboro, NC on May 28. First row of the upper deck, which means that I don't have to stand up for 3 hours to watch the show!

Nice. I wanted to see them with the Adrian Belew/Tony Levin/Bill Bruford/Robert Fripp lineup. Now that I think about it, Robert Fripp *is* King Crimson. He's been the only constant.
I saw Fripp & Belew (as a duo) open for Porcupine Tree a few years back @ the Berklee Performance Center in Boston. What a great show. If you ever get a chance to catch a show at the BPC, do it- best sounding room I have ever heard.

It's not you, ticket prices are unreal. But if you have a group like Rush that packs the arenas every night, I guess they can name their price. I recently plunked down $250 for Jeff Beck, but this was for a package that includes front row seats, early admission for the sound check, and some some extra goodies. He is one of a very few that I would pay that price for.
That's awesome...Jeff Beck is still one of the best guitarists I have ever seen live. The effects that he gets purely from technique are mind-blowing.

BTW, for anyone that has DirecTV, check out AXSTV ( CH.340) for some great concerts. I believe this coming Sunday features a Jeff Beck show from Japan as well as a performance from Steve Vai's Story of Light tour.

That's awesome...Jeff Beck is still one of the best guitarists I have ever seen live. The effects that he gets purely from technique are mind-blowing.

BTW, for anyone that has DirecTV, check out AXSTV ( CH.340) for some great concerts. I believe this coming Sunday features a Jeff Beck show from Japan as well as a performance from Steve Vai's Story of Light tour.

Cool, I get AXSTV on cable, I've got to check that out.

Trust me- touring costs are WAY up; last year we were close to $1000 a night, per vehicle, in fuel costs. Hotels and airfares are up, feeding 40-200 people is through the roof, venues are 80% under the umbrella of two companies which is an insane cost in itself.

I personally am making LESS as a touring professional in the past 3 years, but I am working- I can't say the same for a lot of my associates.

Then add in the greed factor of a ticket broker, and you see where the outrageous ticket prices come from...

I'm a production designer and lighting director, Jesse.... Been with Alan Parsons for a bit over 10 years now, and gearing up Todd Rundgren for a U.S. Tour that starts in April. I've been in the business in mostly lighting positions since 1979, and I've seen the industry go from running away to join the circus to being run by people that sit in an office in NYC and LA that have never lifted a tool or pushed a case in their lives.

Sounds familiar? ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back