Iowa is hurting (1 Viewer)

willy

Nitro Member
I didn't want to add this to Greg's thread..but I put some pics up for my Son..who knows where all these shots are from..and the comments are directed to him.

It really is a tragedy.

Picasa Web Albums - David - Flood

Oh and Brent..1st Ave is hosed from the bottom of the hill till the next uphill at the railroad tracks. (since he used to scoop the loop) It has reached what they are calling the 500 year flood plane.

The library is in jeapordy..St. Patricks church..a 175 yr old historical building has water up to the windows. I am so humbled by all this..breaks my lil heart.

Personally I am way away from the water..but we worry about power and water..but mostly for the people that directly affected. Many friends there.

Cedar Rapids got whacked pretty good in the last couple of days. And I see there is more rain there tonight.

Iowa City will be a disaster in the next few days.
I heard they were shutting down large portions of I-80 between the Quad Cities and Newton (I think)

Des Moines is really in trouble. As of 9 am this morning, they were letting 1 BILLION gallons of water an hour out of Saylorville Reservoir. The river was rising at a rate of 6 inches an hour at the Court Ave Bridge but supposedly the Water Works is safe this time around. Rapid, you should be safe, right?

SW Iowa has been getting tore up also.

I thought I heard that if things don't dry out soon, upwards of %40 of the crops will be lost. This is going to be a loooong summer.

Stay Dry Willy. I am thinking about driving to DM this weekend to sandbag.

David, I've been really following this closely. I've been watching KCRG's webcast so I've been able to see some of it "live". Seeing Bruce Aune and crew cover this is just mind-boggling to me. I found out earlier today from my sister that my grandmothers old house (which my cousin's son and wife were living in) down near Cargill on 10st SE probably has water up to the 2nd floor now. My neices boyfriend own a handful of houses in C.R. and the house he was lving in on 9th Ave SW (kinda by Jim's Foods) had water coming in the 1st floor of the house. I can only imagine that a few of the houses that my dad's cousin (Bill Zeller) owns in Palo, as well as his house, are probably all under water too. It looks like Donny had to evacuate his jail and move all the inmates too. I just can't believe what I'm seeing on the news. I really wish I could be back there to try to help out somehow. I'm just waiting for a job opening and I'll move back, it just isn't happening fast enough IMO. All of you guys are in my thoughts. I just wish I could do more.

Holy crap, I just saw that pic of the Amana plant in your pics. That just blows my mind. My sis took today and tomorrow off because of my youngest neices graduation party is this Sat. She talked to a friend of hers at work earlier today and that friend said that Amana told everybody to go home and not show up until Monday. I guess they'd been having people parking at the visitors center and then bussing them to the plant like we had to do in '93. I don't think that'll work now!

I would be grateful for just an inch of that water. Things are so dry here it's worrisome. I hope and pray that people will be okay. I know there is so much damage that it will take time for everything else.

There aren't too many things that scare me, but all of this bad weather really scares the crap out of me. My best to all that have been affected by these terrible storms.

Dave

I heard a couple hours ago that the eastern 1/3rd of the Sutliff Bridge has collapsed. :( That was probably my favorite bridge anywhere in the state. I used to love sitting on one of the picnic benches on the deck of the bridge just watching the water go by.

http://www.sutliffbridge.com/main/

Last edited:
I heard a couple hours ago that the eastern 1/3rd of the Sutliff Bridge has collapsed. :( That was probably my favorite bridge anywhere in the state. I used to love sitting on one of the picnic benches on the deck of the bridge just watching the water go by.

Baxa's Sutliff Store & Tavern - Welcome to Sutliff
Brent, here's the pics I took of the bridge lasts summer/fall..historic landmark for sure.

Picasa Web Albums - David - Sutliff

It's just sad all the way around..St. Patricks church..150 yrs old..devastated.

Boat houses from the boat harbor are resting against the railroad bridge..downtown..the government buildings have 11 ft of water in them.

Breaks my heart.

25,000 people evacuated. They are saying possibly 10 days before it recedes.

Willy, how is the water plant doing? I don't know where it is in C.R.

Solon and North Liberty are pretty much islands from what I hear. Not sure if they still have power and water still.

Awaiting a call from Williamsburg to see if all of my cousins got out of CR ok.

Willy and Brent, I hope your families are safe and everyone is accounted for.

Solon and North Liberty are pretty much islands from what I hear. Not sure if they still have power and water still.

We're ok where I am. Removed from the flood..but worried about the water/power thing. North Liberty and Solon are good. Closing the main thoroughfare..Interstae 380 at 6pm..not cool.

And rain is predicted for the weekend. All kinds of boat houses from the harbor butted up against the old railroad bridge. Alliant Energy has 11 ft on the 1st floor of their main building. (our power source)

Greg, I haven't heard anything about the actual water plant on the news. I heard that only 1 of the water pumps (out of 4 or 5) is running. You can see the Google Map of C.R. with the 500 year overlay here: Google Maps

The water treatment plant on J Ave NE is within the 500 year boundary and the waste treatment plant out past the SE side of C.R. is between the Cedar and Hwy 13 just north of Hwy 30 and there was a lot of water out that way too. Again, I don't know if the high water is affecting that either.

So far most of my family is doing OK. My mom's, dad's and sister's houses are all fine. My dad's cousin Bill lives in Palo and that's completely evacuated. My grandmothers old house on 10th St SE near Cargill has water up into the 2nd floor from what I've been told. My grandmother no longer lives there but my cousins son and wife had bought it just a couple years ago and had been living there. My oldest neice's boyfriend had his house flood. He owns 5 or 6 houses but the one he was living in was just off of 6th St. SW on 9th Ave and it had water coming in the first floor early yesterday. He and my neice just bought a house together somewhere near Belle Plain on 62 acres and they were afraid it might get hit too. The previous owner spent $50,000 on a new bridge for the drieway after the '93 flood so it's certainly possible it might get some water.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back