Interesting Nitro Rumor (2 Viewers)

I believe it, with the countdown 10 people are in the running missing an event is not going to hurt their chances of a championship. Costs have gotten out of control and sponsors are hard to find never less go to every year needing a raise to compete.

Seems to me, pro drag racing is asking for less events. Seems to have worked for PS. And the PM guys have said all along they have no interest in anything close to a 24 race schedule.

A top-level team spends 3-5 mil a year chasing a championship that pays 500k.
But in order to be eligible to contend for that 500k, NHRA says your team needs to attend 100% of events?
Am I reading that right? No team wants to skip events - it's just a sign of the times and the competition for marketing dollars.

What if your sponsor doesn't pay enough to cover the expenses to attend all 24?
Teams in NHRA and NASCAR have this issue - a company only wants to buy space on your car for 12 events, because of their budget, or strategic markets.
  • Why should a team be 'penalised' for ONLY being able to afford to attend 20 of 24 events?
  • How about NHRA starts increasing the purses to match?
  • Racers, the NHRA and sponsors are all stakeholders here, and I agree the time has come for adjustments.

Watch NHRA will come out with rule that you have to make all events in order to qualify for top 10.
I think what they were looking to do a rule that if you ran all the events, you would be included in the countdown regardless of your points.

IMO that is the rub of the press release........race and spend to maybe win $500k, or not race and guaranteed to save $500k.

Several things are coming to a head on this issue. NHRA's sponsor development is not bringing in enough cash to offer purses relevent to running a full time fuel car. Also, the engine rules have steadily drifted to a place where you need 10+ people on the road with 2 transporters per car.

What is needed is an aggressive sales force with an outward looking perspective(traditionally not a well embraced quality of anyone who works on the NHRA tour) and engine rules that allow for more reliability and the need for fewer crew to turn a car over.

Watch NHRA will come out with rule that you have to make all events in order to qualify for top 10.

You are 100% correct. All because Billy T. showed us what everyone knew you could do since the countdown started in 2007. We all know what needs to be done, but it will never come from the NHRA first. Unless it is trying to poach sponsors or make it rough for competing brands.

I don’t believe there should be a set number of Countdown drivers. Attempt to qualify for every race and Win at least one race equals qualification. Allow the highest driver in points without a win to qualify. Everyone that then qualifies for the Countdown is given 40 bonus points per win in regular season. Winning a race in the regular season needs to be rewarded in the Countdown.

I don’t believe there should be a set number of Countdown drivers. Attempt to qualify for every race and Win at least one race equals qualification. Allow the highest driver in points without a win to qualify. Everyone that then qualifies for the Countdown is given 40 bonus points per win in regular season. Winning a race in the regular season needs to be rewarded in the Countdown.

And, or they should reset everyone's points after Indy, and if you are in the top 10 after Indy it shouldn't guarantee you a spot in the top 10 at the end of season.

Have you guys looked at the schedule for this year it's crazy.....western swing is 4 races long now brainerd and epping back to back

That is a horrible call they made. Who is going to go to Brainerd to epping who is not pulling a primary sponsor deal? The eastern swing seemed like it was perfect. The new 4 swing is just a bad idea.

1) They wouldn't need such large teams if the turnaround time was extended. That means no more live television - as if anyone cares anyway. Most who care about "live" subscribe to NHRA.tv, the rest DVR it anyway.
2) I know there will be some whining, but make some rules that promote parts longevity; roll back to smaller fuel pumps, blowers, single mag, less overdrive, etc. . Yes, that means they'll slow down. Get over it, or lose nitro racing as we know it.

1) They wouldn't need such large teams if the turnaround time was extended. That means no more live television - as if anyone cares anyway. Most who care about "live" subscribe to NHRA.tv, the rest DVR it anyway.
2) I know there will be some whining, but make some rules that promote parts longevity; roll back to smaller fuel pumps, blowers, single mag, less overdrive, etc. . Yes, that means they'll slow down. Get over it, or lose nitro racing as we know it.

EXACTLY. Keep it where it was 15-20 years ago. The argument that crew chiefs are paid to break rules? So what. Let them have a perfect 4.490 tune up or 4.690 for fc. Spec nitro? it wouldn't dominate and racing would maybe be closer than what we "believe" we have now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back