Interesting Kalitta Story (1 Viewer)

Yeah, when I said "never" I meant that in a relative way. I DO see them.

Champion Air. Iffen I remember correctly, they operated out of that soft sided hanger over on the side near Cedar Ave, right? I think they flew a lot of charter flights for the Vikings too.

According to the Aero Transport Data Bank, UPS only operates MD-11s. 37 of them to be exact. Comprises just a bit over 15% of their fleet.

Here's a picture of a FedEx airframe landing on 12R at Wold Chamberlain. I took that on Feb 12.
IMG_3563.JPG

Last edited:
You are correct, that white/blue soft sided hangar along Cedar ave belonged to Champion. If you look closely you can still see a shadow of the "CA" logo near the peak of the roof.

I just looked at FlightAware and there were at least 3 MD-11's at MSP tonight.... Two FedEx, and one UPS. The FedEx MD-11's must have arrived after I was there earlier.

Screenshot5-3-17.PNG

Last edited:
I know this thread has veered waaay off course, but just for fun.... one more DC-10 picture.

I took this picture a few years ago while standing next to the taxiway inside the airfield. It was a 103 degrees, overcast, with very strong side wind gusts. The wings were straight and level one second before I snapped this picture. I would have filled my shorts if I was on that plane. lol

FEDEXDC10.jpg

Last edited:
that is a really great shot brian

View attachment 4040

Great choice of picture, Mike.

Ironically, the aircraft in the picture you posted appears (based on the tail number) to have once been part of the MGM Grand Air fleet..... which, if I'm not mistaken, Connie Kalitta once owned controlling interest of that airline until it was sold out to a Minnesota based company which became Champion Air. So, in a round about way, the picture you posted is somehow related to the original topic of this thread. Nice job getting the thread back on track!. lol

that's funny cuz i was thinkin' i should post a kalitta airplane, but then champion air and great ole' 727's won out.
i did not know that about MGM Grand Air and the possible connection to Connie....so i had to look this up; MGM GA sold to
the consortium in MN in 1995, yet 5 years later Kalitta Racing shows up on tour with Doug driving this....
MGM.jpg

and here's the mgm TF'r fresh off a win @ gainesville in 2000....at the inaugural spring vegas race....kalitta gang shows in opening introduction; 1st rnd. @ 17:40 mark......connie's oldest 747-200 still had 16+ good years in the sky.
didn't watch the whole thing, but was amazed to learn todd peyton was low Q in FC at this
event.....no way did i remember that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back