Incredible high speed Top Fuel Hydro crash photos! (1 Viewer)

RebilasPhoto

Nitro Member
I normally photograph a few NHRA races a year but on a rare off weekend for me I had the chance to shoot one of my favorite sports, drag boat racing. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this post but I think its still worth sharing. Yesterday while covering the IHBA Drag Boat series at Firebird Raceway in AZ I shot a high speed accident when top fuel hydro driver James Ray lost control of his boat while crossing the finish line and crashed in spectacular fashion. While he broke a few bones in the incident it appears he will recover.

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ea11x_9784.jpg

If you wanna see the full sequence you can view it at

Photographer Mark J Rebilas Blog

Thanks guys!

Mark J. Rebilas

That is an awesome picture. As someone who use to do a little Blown Hydro racing, I appreciate you sharing the pic.

Mark

Wow Mark, that's some incredible camera work. Water can gobble stuff up pretty quick, it's amazing. I was there when Clinton Anderson crashed way back when, once you get crossed up and catch an edge, the boat just disintegrates. I'm glad James didn't get hurt worse. Great sequence of shots, thanks for sharing.

As of last night when I was talking to some of the crew. He was sore but they didn't saw anything about any broken bones. They did say that was his second exit, he crashed a TAH last year and they thought he may say this is enough I quit.

That's some incredible photography,thank god he's ok. how many fps do you shoot something like that at?

As usual, excellent work. I suspect with a last name like that you would be Gil's son? We were fortunate to catch him there at the races on Friday. I suspect you could have even been in the passenger's seat? You come by your photography skills honestly. Thank you for sharing.

The news showed a video all night and all today of that crash, and all I kept thinking was where are the "R" men in all of this, ALWAYS the best top end photos!! It shows Mark has made a whopping 2 posts on the Mater, and I bet his 2 posts have left more jaws dropping than any other posts here ever!!! :)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back