Inaugural Sportsman Nationals ? (1 Viewer)

FABMAN

Nitro Member
OK, there has been a lot of talk about what the sportsman racers should do and I think they have come to the conclusion that a 100% boycott of Indy would hit the spot. Would it take a big money payout in all sportsman classes running NHRA rules and race format at a premium tract located in south central part of the United States to make it happen. I know Jegs sponsors sportsman races during the year and we don't want to takeaway anything from there races cause they are great for the sport, but this race is for the racers not NHRA. I think it could happen but it will take the top leaders in the sportsman classes to get racers to leave NHRA's biggest race of the year for a Big Payout Race and no points in order to make a big statement to NHRA.

Maters if you are these racers let us know what you think, if you know these racers have them spend a buck and let us know their thoughts.

Remember if we put all these great thoughts together big things can happen!

As I've said elsewhere, a huge cost for me (and others, I assume) is the cost to get there. So if this race is 2000 miles away from me (Seattle), like Dallas or some such place, it'd be hard to justify. That's something like $1500 just in diesel to get there and back. And two/three days each way on the road. Ugh. Better be some awesome payouts, way down in the field, to make it vaguely worthwhile...

As I've said elsewhere, a huge cost for me (and others, I assume) is the cost to get there. So if this race is 2000 miles away from me (Seattle), like Dallas or some such place, it'd be hard to justify. That's something like $1500 just in diesel to get there and back. And two/three days each way on the road. Ugh. Better be some awesome payouts, way down in the field, to make it vaguely worthwhile...

Chris, I understand what your saying, even INDY is a problem for the racers on the west coast. I'm not saying a boycott is an answer but listening to Randy and Tony they say it would solve NHRA's problem. I wonder what problem NHRA has with sportsman racers?

Agreed. I think boycotts are virtually always a waste of energy. They either draw more attention to the thing you're trying to marginalize, or they simply open the door for others to fill the spot you're vacating.

If people want to make their voices heard about the price increases, the way to do it is the old fashioned way: make your voices heard. Send a letter, make a phone call, get a petition going. Flaming some online message board (with maybe a few thousand readers) simply makes one look irrational -- and likely never even gets read by the ones making the decisions.

However, as I said elsewhere (and others have said more eloquently), if the $50 increase in the license fees is the straw that broke the camel's back for you, you probably need a different hobby. If you're like me, and the needle's in too deep, it's just another cost of having fun.

Better be worth it for me too. I'm at what most would consider an advantage because our Toterhome (Big) gets about the same crappy fuel mileage regardless of how many cars I'm taking. I can take one for $400 in fuel or 4 for $450.

Not to mention, I'm running on the chance that my guys can get in the points early and hang tight for the rest of the year while staying within a radius of the three divisions that are close to me (4, 5, and 7) 4 being my home division. A single or two digit number gets you respect in every division.

However, as I said elsewhere (and others have said more eloquently), if the $50 increase in the license fees is the straw that broke the camel's back for you, you probably need a different hobby. If you're like me, and the needle's in too deep, it's just another cost of having fun.

Pretty much, NHRA sets the rules and we race under them. Some of the rules are more challenging fiscally and mentally than others. This change alone means that in my family the 4 licensed drivers, 2 of whom are licensed with 3 competition numbers will cost $520, but it's the rules and if I want to play, I must pay. Thankfully they are not all due at the same time!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back