Identity theft hits close to home! (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I work for Our Family owned Print shop, and Just today I learned that a Regular Female customer of ours had her Route# off her personal checks hyjacked somehow. This guy made custom checks using a phony name and address at Staples. In 5 days this person charged $5,000 worth before this woman caught on and had her bank freeze her Account. She has NO clue as to how her route# was accessed. To this day I've never had a Checking account, and even though I've gotten teased by friends because of that fact. This news doesn't make me want to get a Persoanl Checking account anytime soon.....:confused:

I think the checking account # and the name of the bank is all you'd really need for a regular bank.

You can call up a bank, tell them "I've got my bank acount number but I need to order checks, can you tell me the routing number?"

Working in the financial industry, you would be blown away at some of the things that people try to pull and are successful.

I had the same thing happen to me. Whomever got my routing number went to all of the check cashing places here in Vegas (and there are many) and took out tons of "Pay Day Loans" and made off with the cash, almost $4,000. Of course, it was my bank account that took the hit. I got crushed by bounced check fees and then harrassed by the check cashing places when the checks bounced. One of them even turned me over to the Clark County DA office for passing bad checks without my knowledge, and for a while there was a warrant for my arrest. Bank of America was kind enough to restore my account and credit the overdraft fees back, but it took quite some time. Clark County was kind enough not to arrest me, but I still had to go to court with all the supporting paperwork to prove to Rapid Cash, Check City, Money Tree and all the others that they were victims of fraud just as I was. That was in August of last year, and at least once a month I still get a call from whatever collection agency Rapid Cash uses asking me when they can expect to be paid back their loan "that they gave me in good faith".

The real kick in the nuts is how I found out I had a warrant for my arrest. In February of this year I was one of the final 3 candidates for an Engineer job with Clark County. My friend works there as a traffic engineer and had been talking me up for months. I gave a great interview, and everyone there seemed real positive on me getting the job. A couple of weeks later I get a letter in the mail informing that I had not been chosen for the job. I had my friend find out why I wasn't hired, and he told me that when they did the background check on me, the warrant came up and it automatically disqualified me as a candidate.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back