Identify this part (1 Viewer)

CrewGuy

Nitro Member
These photos are from first round of pro qualifying this weekend in Commerce (middle of T/F qualifying). I noticed this at the edge of the track, about 75' from the starting line. Earlier in the round, Brandon Bernstein had a pretty good fuel leak when he was backing up from his burnout. I wondered if the part could have came from his fuel system.
whatisthis2kk4.jpg

whatisthis3to2.jpg

it's a timing pointer for a crank trigger pick up, either MSD or Leahy. Most people remove it after checking the timing during warm up. Not this one!

Bob

It's an RCD Engineering timing pointer. It slides in to a pivot that mounts to the front of the gear drive and is used to identify top dead center on top fuel and top alcohol cars. It's supposed to be taken out after setting the timing but some folks don't do it.

Jim Collins (NHRA tech) asked us last year to either pin it, set screw it or put a wire tie through the hole where it slides in to prove it was not installed on a run. But at Las Vegas, Jim Collins told me it no more wire ties. It has to be pinned in place. He said he's getting tired of picking them up off the track, and wants it taken care of before someone gets hurt.

Randy

Damn! It reminds me of something I saw at the High Caliber Gun Show at the Pasadena Convention Center! :eek:

Some teams will drill and tap the bracket it slides thru...and put a set screw in there. You can tell that this one had a set screw in it at one time.....and if you found it around 75 feet out.... it was no doubt a victim of tire shake. If you ever walk the track after a session, you will find quite a few nuts, bolts and Dzus fasteners and even the occasional end wrench. SG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back