How ironic, yet not surpising in corporate business today.... (1 Viewer)

fibertech

Nitro Member
Now I understand as most of you do that drag racing in general needs cash infusion from WHEREVER it will come from, but I just thought that it is more or less a slap in the face that the "US" Nationals is being sponsored by Denso Sparkplugs. I get it, Denso Corp (which started out as Nippon Denso years ago) is 25% owned by Toyota which has a vested interest in NHRA, but the fact remains NHRA is selling naming rights to a Japanese company and then still telling everyone it is THE US NATIONALS. I am not anti ANYONE, but come on NHRA, you couldn't find an AMERICAN company to sponsor the US NATIONALS and then use the Denso sponsorship at ANY other race?

Their money is green like anyone else’s and they see drag racing sponsorship as fitting their marketing strategy, an increasingly rare thing.
The sponsorship has zero effect on making the event ‘less American’, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

I fail to see your point. What does it matter where the company is from? They are a global company, just like Chevy(the previous sponsor) was. They are supporting the sport we love and we should be thankful for that.

Just pointing out that with the history of the US Nationals always being hyped as the granddaddy of all races, it just that, hype. And clearly the NHRA has lost all interest except the almighty dollar which I recognized 30 years ago. It is a sad current state of affairs and makes me wonder how much longer the sport we love at that level will still be viable. Anyway, the comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. When I see things that strike me as odd or funny, I make comments about it.

Paul Miller:

I understand what you are saying and I believe you are right that we should be happy that they are supporting drag racing but I also understand Steve Hammann point.

I wonder how many Americans feel about many of the companies that are owned by firms based in China receiving money from the Payroll Protection Plan and other government bailout money from our government.
Smithfield Foods is just one of many others but who are hiring American workers in their factories. It's all very legal.

Jim Hill

Just pointing out that with the history of the US Nationals always being hyped as the granddaddy of all races, it just that, hype. And clearly the NHRA has lost all interest except the almighty dollar which I recognized 30 years ago. It is a sad current state of affairs and makes me wonder how much longer the sport we love at that level will still be viable. Anyway, the comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. When I see things that strike me as odd or funny, I make comments about it.
Nah...it wasn't tongue in cheek, you meant what you said.

If it's bugs you so much, why don't you plop down your credit card and sponsor the race. "The NHRA U.S. Nationals, presented by Steve Hammann".

Whenever someone says "I am not anti anyone" ... you can guarantee they are about to say something VERY anti anyone.

Denso has been GREAT for drag racing, from multiple associate sponsorships, to sponsoring the 4 Wide Vegas race, to being title sponsor for Matt and Angie Smith. Why would it be "odd" or "funny" to add the US Nationals to that list?

I am not anti ANYONE, but come on NHRA, you couldn't find an AMERICAN company to sponsor the US NATIONALS and then use the Denso sponsorship at ANY other race?

You realize the NHRA doesn't just go around picking corporate names to affix to events? Denso is the sponsor because Denso paid more than any "American" company to sponsor the US Nationals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back