How ironic is this............. (1 Viewer)

CrewGuy

Nitro Member
Ocala Florida is home to "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, one of the most well-known drag racers of all time. The sunny Florida city is also the site of Big's museum of drag racing. Plans to build an 1/8 drag strip were scrapped after county comissioners voted 5-0 against the project.
Link here

I guess silence is golden. It's not easy to easy to get a new strip open so we must fight to keep what we got.

Someone needs to start a rumor that the sound of distant drag cars is good therapy for horses. Then the government will give someone a grant TO open a dragstrip with. Figure out a way to say that a dragstrip protects an endangered species somewhere. :)

Ocala Florida is home to "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, one of the most well-known drag racers of all time. The sunny Florida city is also the site of Big's museum of drag racing. Plans to build an 1/8 drag strip were scrapped after county comissioners voted 5-0 against the project.
Link here

It's not that far from Ocala to the track in Gainesville so the local racers still have a great place to go.

But you gotta wonder what the heck those commisioners were thinking about. We were at Big Daddy's two yrs ago. Met him in the museum and he signed autographs. They also have a souvenir store. His Mom is in her 90's, almost totally blind but she sits in there and will talk as long as you want to. She has a very good memory and is very alert. A very special lady.

His Mom is in her 90's, almost totally blind but she sits in there and will talk as long as you want to. She has a very good memory and is very alert. A very special lady.

Big's Mom passed away a year or so ago -- sad, but true. My wife and I spoke with her in the "old car" museum a couple of years ago. She was a sweetheart. No wonder "Big" is the man he is.

I know that in NJ the people who bought NEWLY built houses around E Town have formed an association and keep busting the tracks balls about "Noise" and the track keeps cutting the curfew time.. & gets tougher on racers muffled car noise..

I can't blame the track, they are trying to stay in business...
However if "I" owned the track in NJ I'd hold a meeting with the owners association and tell them... "Ya know, I'm tired of fighting you, so I'm closing the track and opening an amusement park that will be open 7 days a week not 4... AND we (the track owners) feel sorry for all the under privileged kids in NYC so we will have a "FREE ENTRY" day for all low income people from NY, NJ area.... just think how happy these kids will be to see your nice BMWs parked and also that would just love to sight see the area around where the "Former drag strip was"

If an amusement park is not good.. then I'd tell em I'm going to do like the rest of you & build houses, except they will be for low income, & welfare recipients..
I'm sure you people would love to help these underprivileged kids... My target age group would be 15-20 yr old kids who have a previous arrest record, & am trying to rehabilitate them...

Thank you for any help you can give!!..

Raceway Park Management... !!

Last edited:
I know that in NJ the people who bought NEWLY built houses around E Town have formed an association and keep busting the tracks balls about "Noise" and the track keeps cutting the curfew time.. & gets tougher on racers muffled car noise..

However if "I" owned the track in NJ I'd hold a meeting with the owners association and tell them... "Ya know, I'm tired of fighting you, so I'm closing the track and opening an amusement park that will be open 7 days a week not 4... AND we (the track owners) feel sorry for all the under privileged kids in NYC so we will have a "FREE ENTRY" day for all low income people from NY, NJ area.... just think how happy these kids will be to see your nice BMWs parked and also that would just love to sight see the area around where the "Former drag strip was"

If an amusement park is not good.. then I'd tell em I'm going to do like the rest of you & build houses, except they will be for low income, & welfare recipients..
I'm sure you people would love to help these underprivileged kids... My target age group would be 15-20 yr old kids who have a previous arrest record, & am trying to rehabilitate them...

Thanks you for any help you can give!!..

Good stuff John. I blame the developers. I don't think these people have a clue when they buy that house.

Big's Mom passed away a year or so ago -- sad, but true. My wife and I spoke with her in the "old car" museum a couple of years ago. She was a sweetheart. No wonder "Big" is the man he is.

That's a damn shame Roger. We really enjoyed talking to her.

New uses for E-town property

Maybe the neighbors would rather live next to a:

Nitromethane manufacturing facility
Prison
Industrial hog farm
Composting facility

Brett

There wasn't any vote.What happened is that the commissioners wanted to know about the potential noise problems and then the proposal was withdrawn.Once noise abatement issues are ready,the deal wil be re-submitted.

Hey Ron ! What was that you said?
Can you repeat it, I think I'm a victim of too much noise from these commercial diesel engines.
What's that you said ?
Oh no I wear good protection at the racetrack.
You say I'm a Dumb what and got what backwards!
The only thing that saved my home track back in 2000 was curfews and the fact that two roundy round tracks were across the street.
Larry00 in a former Life!

Thank you for any help you can give!!..

I told Michael (Napp) that he should tell the 'neighbors association' that he's going to convert the track acreage to a garbage dump. ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back