Hospitality "Neighborhoods" (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
Probably gonna get flamed for this one, but after reading about Powers new hospitality world (which the S.F. is bigger than most homes..), and knowing that there is now another section in the pits that A) is pretty much off-limits to the general pit-pass holding public, and B) adding even more inability to watch what is usually some of the most exciting mechanical work in motorsports, isn't it time that a new plan as far as pit placement strategy comes down from above?

I've always been a fan of walking around in the pits, coming from the days of before the "velvet rope", when you could literally walk up to the car and driver, and just as long as you stayed out of the way, you could see some pretty cool stuff and learn something in the process (most of my mechanical skills came from watching guys like Brandt and Veney up close).. Now I understand that with the increase in attendance and the 75-minute turn, a bit of separation is a necessary evil, but now its a case of rarely ever finding the driver because of "private access" sponsor commitments, and now even harder to see the cars and mechanics at work because there are giant temporary ballrooms constructed as the center of the pit compounds.

Not to suggest the elimination of hospitality tents and trailers (a necessary evil to keep sponsors paying the big bills), but maybe consideration of a lineup of cars and WORKING trailers could be done on one or two rows of the pits, with all the hospitality zones being on the opposite row, just in front of the tractors, so that the entire row is nothing but the hospitality tents and trailers, a neighborhood, if you would (Private access to the row would be a plus). The "honored guests" get to do whatever they do, have visual access if they are so interested and do the schmmoze thing, and the fans get a better (re: less obstructed) view of what many of them are there for in the first place.

We all know it isn't going to get better before it gets worse (all I envision is Formula 1...:mad: ), but it has gotten to the point where the general paying public is getting less and less of the "show" that probably attracted us to this sport in the first place, and the fix is just as easy as a new layout. JMO...

If you chgeck the NHRA rule book it states that the cars must be between trailers so that cuts visibilty down to the width of the pit space. For an end pit space the team is required to park the tow vehicle alongside the car while the motor is running (Section 9.12, page 232 of the 07 rule book).
The reason for that ruling is safety, in that if a motor did boom on the stands during a warm up the resultant debris would not be aimed at the fans. I am not sure how this equates with the current practice of putting the sponsors/guests directly alongside the car in the hospitality area but it does provide extra revenue for the NHRA when the team ponies up for the extra space.
In the teams' defense, this problem is not unique to teams with hospitality units and in fact the view of their pit area is sometimes better as Suzie O pointed out. The max width of the trailer/awning is 22 feet and the trailer takes up 8.5 feet of that leaving the crew with less than 14 feet to work in with some of that area taken up by benches, pit carts etc. With an adjacent hospitality unit there is usually more chance to get a sideways view of the car and in Kalitta's case the hospitality area is set to the back of the pit area and the space alongside the trailers is open.

Roo Man

Martin
I refer to those areas as petting zoo's...;)
However I believe that it has become a necessary evil...:mad: I like your idea, but the team owners want front row access for their sponsors and whoever was givin a free pass to the said petting zoo... You and I, just don't really matter anymore... And like you said... JMO;) :eek:

I don't know how some teams can park thier dragsters facing nose-out... meaning pointing at the fans. Tony Shoe does it. Is the thinking to get the car out of the stall faster when it's time to head to the lanes? You look in there amd all you see is the front wing - it's so dark back there. Cackling the motor on the projacks like that has to be a nightmare. You'd think they'd blow the awning off. Then again, maybe thats the way thier tooling/layout is. Whatever works I guess. Last time I checked it certainly didn't seem to hamper thier operation! :rolleyes:

As for the hospitality....we all know how the food chain works - the fan buys the product, the company that sells the product sponsors the racer & wants thier name to be seen ....hoping that MORE fans buy thier products and come to the races.... and so the cycle repeats itself. The more sponsors we get to dump money into the sport the better, in my opinion. Another thing, kinda off topic.... something that pizzes me off to see is SIGNS by the ropes saying "driver so & so" will sign autographs from 3-3:30...... only 1 item per fan, please. What the heck is with that??? Talk about forgetting your roots and how you started!
Some people out there still only come out of thier lounges to see Marty with an ESPN2 camera, or when it's time to start the car. Then they go from the lounge to the tow van & back. Definatley a sign of changing times.
Thank God nobody on team K is like that.

Chris
To answer your first question, AJ started backing the car in because he did not want anyone to see that he was using a six disc clutch instead of five... That was then, I 'm not sure why they still do it that way though... Seven disc's?;) :D :eek:

I like the way my brothers camp is set up. I can get the heck out of the way and even though I love the smell of nitro, at least I can get away from a hanging cloud!

Probably gonna get flamed for this one, but after reading about Powers new hospitality world (which the S.F. is bigger than most homes..), and knowing that there is now another section in the pits that A) is pretty much off-limits to the general pit-pass holding public, and B) adding even more inability to watch what is usually some of the most exciting mechanical work in motor sports, isn't it time that a new plan as far as pit placement strategy comes down from above?

I've always been a fan of walking around in the pits, coming from the days of before the "velvet rope"........ JMO...

The "days before the velvet rope" were when Full-Door Sponsors were paying $25,000 to $50,000 a year to have full colors of their company flown on a car. Today, your looking at anywhere from 2 - 5 Million Dollars to sponsor a car with the best (unlimited) parts and top crew members. If I was a "Big Dog" Sponsor (Shoe Electric, Budweiser, Matco, Mac) out on the NHRA Circuit, you bet I'd want to take care of my patrons !
IE : Budweiser = Bar/Restaurant Owners, Matco & Mac = Tool Distributors.......These are the inner works of my company that allows me to continue Sponsorship of this great obsession that we have grown to Love & known as the NHRA.
I'm sorry I can't agree with your thoughts of hospitality areas cutting into your viewing area as, if there was no hospitality area there then it would just be the back side of another racers hauler in that space (???) .
Yes the "Velvet Rope" days are here to stay and for that I am sorry. You still have many, many more chances of fan/driver interaction than they do over at NASCRAP.......errrrrrr, sorry.... NASCAR.
Back as a fan myself, I would never buy "Reserved" seats. General Admit was for me. Get there early, go pee, get a drink & hit "The Fence" !!! I'm 15 to 20 yards further back than the "Photographers" from the car at the starting line.........WHAT A SEAT !! ......and, after my favorite drivers ran, I'd go back to the pits THEN, not after ALL the Pro Classes ran. Best time to be up front on the "Velvet Rope" and best time to chat with the Driver (he's/she's) packin' their parachute............
JUST MY 2 CENTS.........PEACE & LOVE OUT TO CHRIS KEY !!

i usually push through the masses to the leakers -
same parts, same nitro, way less crowds.
i've gotten to know a few guys that work on both well funded teams
as well as part time teams - it's the same as it's always been;
listen to warmups and smell nitro - anytime
ask questions & b.s. with team members - select time & place wisely.
or in the case of BIR, some come to say hello
at my hospitality area (campsite);)

If you check the NHRA rule book it states that the cars must be between trailers so that cuts visibilty down to the width of the pit space. For an end pit space the team is required to park the tow vehicle alongside the car while the motor is running (Section 9.12, page 232 of the 07 rule book).... Roo Man

I know you saw the Powers pic- the car is right next to the plastic vinyl window that would offer no protection in the case of a catastrophic boomer. I am also sure that NHRA has addressed that with the teams that put hospitality along side the pit space, and all teams are probably smart enough to abide by that ruling- whether it be by running everyone out of the area during a warm-up, or putting them inside an actual structure (Force and Prudhomme, I think).
As far as the visuals, yeah, its like looking down an alley on most teams (Suzie- yours and Dels are exceptions to the rule), so seeing the cars like we did in the sixties and seventies will come back when TF is on 10 inch tires again :p ..
The issue I bring forth is that when the Powers pit becomes the norm, and not the exception (when was the last time you saw anybody do something SMALLER than the last guy?..), the pits will become like a walk down Sunset Strip on a saturday night- access to the VIP clubs will overwhelm the actual pit areas that cars (why I personally go to the races) occupy. So, to accomodate the teams and their sponsors needs, give them their own row. Access inside will still require the proper credential, but the activity, that is non-racing oriented, will take place in its own "little" neighborhood, while us, the racing fan, won't have it jammed in our face that we aren't quite as important as we were when we were when we were bringing the sport up through its infancy (of 50 odd years!).
I don't delude myself that I will get to walk up to a car and driver in this day and age- not gonna happen 90% of the time. But as I have no need to see some giant, private pup tent where, as Chris so eloquently put it, the "petting zoo" takes place. Show me spinning wrenches over that any day...

That wasn't Chris, Martin, it was me Ray with the petting zoo stab... But that is the way I look at it... And we are?? Nobodies?? If it was not for You and I and the many visitors to the circus... Would they continue to come to a town near us anytime soon?? I DONT TINK SO!!
And Dale, even though I hear you...
I respectfully do not agree with you...

Every year i say I'd pay just to be there to watch all those friggin rigs park. That's gotta be tedious. Some of those trailers are 3 inches apart.

Another thing is the sheer size of some of these multi-car operations. Forget the hospitality - with nearly 40-60 employees on a team at each track there's just lots of support vehicles & space needed.

Last edited:
For those of you that have not yet seen the new Powers pit, think acreage! I mean, it seems like you couldn't see from one end to the other! The awnings and stuff are built like permanent structures, it must take 3 days to set the thing up!

If NHRA allows DSR, Force, Prudhome, etc.. that same amount of pit space for "hospitality", there won't be room for anything in the paved pits except for pro teams. The sportsman teams will be pitted a mile away somewhere out in a field. That, or they run Pros only at National events and run the sportsman the week before or after the same event?

I was simply amazed at the size of the Powers pit area(s). Is it really a business requirement or just feeding an ego?

...I was simply amazed at the size of the Powers pit area(s). Is it really a business requirement or just feeding an ego?

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Although it was probably part of somebody's signing deal :)rolleyes: ), at what point does it go from hospitality to "nah nah ne nah nah"?

I think the pit neighborhoods are a necessary evil these days. To make the sponsor happy, to woo potential sponsors, and to have room for family and friends of the crews, and as support for the teams, especially the multi-car teams. Many of the multi teams use the neighborhoods as a central spot for members of all their teams to commune and share a meal, as in the Kalittas saturday night Mac Tools dinners.

well, you dont really have to have hospitality to keep your sponsors. all you really need is 10, 12, 13 or so national championships. if you run on out and get those pretty quick, then you dont need it. just ask john force. he doesnt have a hospitality area. he does have a chef though, and a very good one i might add (hows it going johnny), but he only cooks for the boss and the team and maybe a guest or two. every now and then ford will bring thier own hospitality bus to the race (you might have seen it in joliet).

but if your like every other racer out there then you might want to think about adding it to your future top fuel dragster and f/c drag racing plans. oh... and by the way... i know another very very good chef (much love back atcha chef dale).

but ofcourse, after having said all that, we did have hospitality (didnt we dale) and i think there is a certain beer company thats not around anymore so who knows. certainly not me, im just a former hospitality guy who got too drunk one night and came in too late the next day (teehee).

peace out race fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back