Hey, we know this Cone Hunter guy...... (1 Viewer)

Really enjoyed the Baton Rouge show a coupe of weeks ago. Hope they come back next year.

Sounds like he might be able to get into the Booked in Match race shows of yesterday.
Cliff -

The Cone Hunter has been blessed with a little bit of profile from our March performances. I made a Facebook post with a link to this CP story describing how the Chaos series came at a perfect time for my then new nitro program in 2018. It is some fun history but is a bit long. Let me know if you would like a cut and paste of that post here.

Harry -

We have actually had a fair amount of success doing match races much like those of the good old days. Our next event in May is a booked in event at Bandimere called "Night of Fire and Thunder". The Bandimere family have been very good to us by booking us in to their track going clear back to the late-90s with my TA/FC. In the last few years, in addition to 2 prior appearances in Denver, we have also done match races at Albuquerque (several times) and Grand Junction.

Thanks,

Lyle Greenberg
Cone Hunter AA/FC

Cliff -

The Cone Hunter has been blessed with a little bit of profile from our March performances. I made a Facebook post with a link to this CP story describing how the Chaos series came at a perfect time for my then new nitro program in 2018. It is some fun history but is a bit long. Let me know if you would like a cut and paste of that post here.

Harry -

We have actually had a fair amount of success doing match races much like those of the good old days. Our next event in May is a booked in event at Bandimere called "Night of Fire and Thunder". The Bandimere family have been very good to us by booking us in to their track going clear back to the late-90s with my TA/FC. In the last few years, in addition to 2 prior appearances in Denver, we have also done match races at Albuquerque (several times) and Grand Junction.

Thanks,

Lyle Greenberg
Cone Hunter AA/FC
I can't speak for Cliff, but I would appreciate the post!

Lyle, please do the post. Wanted to ask, is Albuquerque still racing? Haven't heard anything about that track. Are you the only NM racer running anything nitro?

Lyle, please do the post. Wanted to ask, is Albuquerque still racing? Haven't heard anything about that track. Are you the only NM racer running anything nitro?
Cliff and Ty -
The Albuquerque track is alive and well, running a full schedule of bracket races and test and tune days. They run a show for Pro Mod style cars on the holiday weekends. I ran a match race against a jet car last July 4th in fuel altered trim and have run several other match races there in funny car trim. There are 2 other nitro cars in NM. Ray Stringer runs a nitro big block Chevy funny car called "Blown Centless" out of Alamogordo. He is always a crowd favorite based on his underdog Chevy program. He runs good, with a best of 4.07 at the Ennis Chaos race last year. Ray and his family are some of the finest people I know in racing. I got the opportunity to drive his car at the Chaos race in Odessa in Nov 2019 and took the B Field win. The other nitro car belongs to Rickey Weeaks from Roswell. He has had the car for a couple of years, but has taken it slow in ramping his program up. The car has lots of potential.
Photo of the Cone Hunter Fuel Altered vs The Beast Jet Car by Dale Fackler

Attachments

• Round 2 Burnout by Dale Fackler.jpg
    Round 2 Burnout by Dale Fackler.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 19
I can't speak for Cliff, but I would appreciate the post!
Ty and Cliff - here is the post I did on FaceBook where I linked to the Competition Plus story regarding Chris and Tera Graves and their Funny Car Chaos series. My post details how the Funny Car Chaos series came along at exactly the right time for my program! Apologies in advance for the long-winded post. Although we haven't run nearly as many of the Chaos races as most folks, we have competed at 8 of the FCC events, with 4 final rounds and 3 wins.
<snip>
What a great story from Competition Plus about Chris Graves and Tera Graves and their Funny Car Chaos series! It is so true that FCC came along at the right time for many racers, including me and my nitro aspirations. When we decided to build a nitro car in 2017, I only knew one thing for sure ... I did not have the capacity (financial or otherwise) to run a Heritage-legal nostalgia funny car. When I got Jake Sanders involved in my program in September 2017, the very first FCC had yet to be run, though we all know that Jake and his dad Mark won that inaugural event at NorthStar Dragway not long after. I can remember sitting in Jake's shop in Brownsburg discussing what my plan really was. At that moment, there was some talk of a continuation of the Drag Racing Online series using Graeme Cowin's Australian Nitro Funny Car rules. That rules package used a bigger fuel pump and magneto than the Heritage series, which fit my plans pretty well. So, Jake put together an Australian rules combo for me. As it turned out, the change to the DRO series lost traction, but the FCC series went big-time in 2018 to fill that gap, just in time for us to run with them and get runner-up in the A Field at the Amarillo race in 2018 in our first ever competition outing.
I wish I had the time, energy and resources to run more of the FCC races than we do, but to say I am grateful to Chris and Tera for their initiative and hard work is a HUGE understatement!

Thanks Lyle. Wow, Roswell has a flopper. Rickey Weaks. I always see Bill Dennis in S/C & S/G at Wild Horse for the Nat'l race & Divisional. He is from Roswell & has been coming to Phx for years. When I was in the Air Force, I was stationed at Walker AFB in Roswell, about 500 years ago. heh I hope all you NM guys do well with your funny cars.

Thanks Lyle. Wow, Roswell has a flopper. Rickey Weaks. I always see Bill Dennis in S/C & S/G at Wild Horse for the Nat'l race & Divisional. He is from Roswell & has been coming to Phx for years. When I was in the Air Force, I was stationed at Walker AFB in Roswell, about 500 years ago. heh I hope all you NM guys do well with your funny cars.
Cliff - I am old enough to have raced at the old track at the old Roswell airport on the north end of town west of NMMI. In those early years of my career, I was driving my dad's Olds 442 W-30 Stock Elim car, then his B/ED Comp Elim dragster, then as a hired gun in Andy Johnson's C/EA Comp Elim altered. That was 1976-1979.

We had a drag strip on base when Walker AFB was still active, I think 1966. I visited Roswell some years later and had a chance to go to the drag streip at the old airport. Enjoyed seeing the drags there, cuz I remembered it as an airport. Haven't been to Roswell in years. Is the drag strip there still running?

Cone Hunter? I don't know that guy. A few years back I knew another Lyle Greenberg who used to come to the track to drive a little Ford roadster with his family on the road course, he was a pretty nice guy from what I remember. I haven't seen him in a while, so every so often I wonder what happened to him and figured he's just doing something else at the moment. Anyway, good luck Cone Hunter!

Funny Car Chaos rocks

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back