Head Closing Up Shop? (1 Viewer)

Yea he wants out,id love to drive for him,hmmm no money tho,guess ill go and get a powerball and wish lol.

You just gotta love that guy.

He's about as straight of a shooter as a person in the sport can get.

I could think of a few people that would be great in that car, but sponsorship is the hard thing to find.

He's not parking his team by any means. He's has no interest in quiting. He just wants to switch roles and be a crew chief. I didn't realize this until the other day but Jim has more innovations in drag racing than any one. And don't forget he's the only current driver out there to win Indy in a nitro funny car and a TF dragster. There could be some great news ahead for this team we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Just talking....

I wonder how much $$$ a legit driver (say a Dean Skuza or Burkhardt <not wanting to get a new thread started>) might have to bring to the table.

$1. Million
$1. Mil / year for 3 - years -

Getting a lot of equipment and a very real crew chief and a history of innovation could be the bargain of the century. Seems like somebody could sell this A LOT easier than a start-up deal.

Just talking....

I wonder how much $$$ a legit driver (say a Dean Skuza or Burkhardt <not wanting to get a new thread started>) might have to bring to the table.

$1. Million
$1. Mil / year for 3 - years -

Getting a lot of equipment and a very real crew chief and a history of innovation could be the bargain of the century. Seems like somebody could sell this A LOT easier than a start-up deal.

I was told by two different people, one of which is a current driver/owner, the other an owner, that it takes between 2.5 and 3 to do it right. And that's with all the hardware already in place. They both said you could do it cheaper, but neither one of them would. These two individuals are currently in Top Fuel, but I can't imagine there would be much difference.

Sean D

Just talking....
I wonder how much $$$ a legit driver (say a Dean Skuza or Burkhardt ). . . might have to bring to the table.

Between $50K & 75K per race would work for the NHRA races with an unsponsored team.
I would guess Jim would be happy to get $25-30K per race to help out.
In past years drivers had to bring at least $300K to a sponsored team for a rent-a ride.

A current popular number that is pitched in sponsor proposals is $100K per race for the full NHRA season. (+/- 2.5Million total). The "big guys" want $3M or more. Nascar pitches $400K per race for the big show. An IHRA number is $35-50K per race.

This would be without a doubt the best deal that any driver wanting to step up big time could possibly find. You know the car is going to be safe and competitive every time it goes down the track. There is no denying Head is one of the biggest innovators in the sport (at least as innovative as NHRA will allow), and I would imagine he would be one of the top crew chiefs out there if that was all he had to really focus on. I wouldn't give a crap how much of a hard-ass he was, even if you're bringing the money to the table, you listen to what the man has to say, follow his lead and you will win races.

I didn't realize this until the other day but Jim has more innovations in drag racing than any one.

No doubt that Jim is a thinker, BUT I believe your forgetting about Don Garlits, in the 1960's & early 70s he was always coming up with new things to try.
Because he was the owner ,tuner,driver, & crew the "secrets" didn't leak out as fast as now. We ran Garlits cars from 1963 through 1968, talked to him weekly,& he used our shop when in the Midwest. The man was all about burning Nitro 24/7/365.

Now, where's that Ridestealer Rapid? Hey Rapid! :D

Thanks Greg :cool:

I am sure I am on a long list of guys who would like to drive for him. I like the way he operates, and knew he was one of the guys when I bought his tee shirt at a division race in the early 80's,,,,Give me Head till I am Dead! :D

If I had the money, I could buy myself some talent and apply for the deal! ;)

Rapid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back