HD Racing Broadcasts (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Watched both the NHRA and NASCAR HD broadcasts tonight.
NASCAR first - every shot was almost 3D and the DLP camera that followed the cars was incredible. Surround sound was excellent, especially when announcers stopped talking and they did the "Crank It Up".
To be honest, I was disappointed in the ESPN2 show. Closeups and slowmo were spectacular, but the boomcam and long shots were bigger but no better than previous shows. I was also expecting better sound - I know it's impossible to simulate being there, but I could not notice any surround sound.
Thanks to ESPN2 for making this effort, but they have a long way to go.

And . . . our sport is about everyone who races, not just JFR! JMHO

Yeah, last night was the first time I got to watch a NHRA HD broadcast and it definitely is "lacking" as far as HD Broadcasts go. First of all, there are only 3 or 4 cameras that are actually HD. The rest are SD. So the image is constantly switching from HD to SD, which is very annoying. Even the camera in the Sanyo blimp is SD. Also, my Denon receiver will automatically switch to digital surround when the signal is present, but it never switched, it stayed in standard Dolby Pro Logic 2.1, instead of digital 5.1. I switched to the UK-Florida game on ESPNHD and all cameras were in HD and the sound immediately switched to 5.1. At least I had a good picture and sound to watch my Cats lose their fifth straight to Florida ....

...Also, my Denon receiver will automatically switch to digital surround when the signal is present, but it never switched, it stayed in standard Dolby Pro Logic 2.1, instead of digital 5.1. I switched to the UK-Florida game on ESPNHD and all cameras were in HD and the sound immediately switched to 5.1. ...

That's weird, Chris. My Sony has the same auto-switching and it stayed in digital surround for the whole show. Assuming Cox uses the same DVR out there that I have here (SA 8300HD), how are you making your audio connection from the SA box to your receiver and how do you have the SA box set (settings menu - audio)?

That's weird, Chris. My Sony has the same auto-switching and it stayed in digital surround for the whole show. Assuming Cox uses the same DVR out there that I have here (SA 8300HD), how are you making your audio connection from the SA box to your receiver and how do you have the SA box set (settings menu - audio)?

I have the SA8350HD/DVR connected via digital coax. I know it's not my setup, as I get digital 5.1 on every broadcast HD channel (Fox, ABC, etc) and it immediately switched to 5.1 when I put it on ESPNHD for the UK-Fla game. I will watch for it tonight when I watch eliminations to see if I am getting 5.1 or not.

I have the SA8350HD/DVR connected via digital coax. I know it's not my setup, as I get digital 5.1 on every broadcast HD channel (Fox, ABC, etc) and it immediately switched to 5.1 when I put it on ESPNHD for the UK-Fla game. I will watch for it tonight when I watch eliminations to see if I am getting 5.1 or not.
Mine's the 8300, figures you'd have a newer model... I wonder how THAT happened, lol!

The 8300 has 3 settings for audio; HDMI, Dolby Digital, and Other. Since I'm not using HDMI I've enabled the "Dolby Digital" setting and am getting audio from the dig. optical output. How's yours configured?

Mine's the 8300, figures you'd have a newer model... I wonder how THAT happened, lol!

The 8300 has 3 settings for audio; HDMI, Dolby Digital, and Other. Since I'm not using HDMI I've enabled the "Dolby Digital" setting and am getting audio from the dig. optical output. How's yours configured?

Mine has the same 3 settings, I also have mine set to Dolby Digital and I am using the Digital Coax that is located right next to the fiber optic output (my receiver is older and only has 1 fiber input, so I have that one hooked to my DVD player).

Well? What happened?

Tom - I also have an SA 8300HD (with DVR). Switched back and forth between HDMI and Dolby Digital - couldn't hear any difference and the sound is still not as good as other HD broadcasts.
However, I also have RF remote speakers in my office (good view of the TV) with input from my Bose 3•2•1. With a little adjustment, acheived really good surround effect - Jim

We can't get the HD telecasts downunder ... :(

What is even more disappointing/annoying is that for some reason the NHRA broadcasts that come over here only come as 4:3 and not 16:9 widescreen. Not sure why...

The reason the HD signal is so crappy is that it's only broadcast in 480p which is the lowest end of HD. 480i is what standard televisions are.

So ESPN hyping the fact that it's broadcast in HD is a bit of just that.....overhype.

We can't get the HD telecasts downunder ... :(

What is even more disappointing/annoying is that for some reason the NHRA broadcasts that come over here only come as 4:3 and not 16:9 widescreen. Not sure why...

The aspect difference is standard given the NTSC (US Broadcast Standard) to PAL (Australian/European) conversion. Do you guys have HD in Australia yet? I know they have not adopted a format in Europe yet ...

PS Gerald, how far do you live from Albert Park? Outside shot I may be coming to Melbourne for the Grand Prix next month ....

Last edited:
The reason the HD signal is so crappy is that it's only broadcast in 480p which is the lowest end of HD. 480i is what standard televisions are.

So ESPN hyping the fact that it's broadcast in HD is a bit of just that.....overhype.

Are you sure about that? Everything I read says HD is 720 and 1080, 480 is DVD and SDTV with low format SDTV at 240. When I watched the broadcast with my DirecTV receiver it has lights on the front for what definition it is receiving and the 1080 light was on.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back