Hagan loses a close one in norwalk (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]NORWALK (June 28. 2009) - Matt Hagan, driving the Shelor.com Dodge Funny Car, lost a close first round of Funny Car eliminations today at the NHRA Nationals at Summit Motorsports Park.

Hagan, who qualified ninth, faced No. 8 qualifier Bob Tasca III in a tight match-up which ended with Tasca taking the win with a slower 4.405-second elapsed time at 266.69 mph to Hagan's quicker but losing 4.382/269.35. Margin of victory: .0299 of a second or 12 feet. Reaction times: .121 for Hagan, .069 for Tasca.

"I think eventually the car and I are going to have to get on the same page," said a disappointed Hagan. "The car is obviously starting to come around. We ran a good number, but it just seems like it's hit or miss. When I do cut a decent light then the car isn't performing as well.

"And then when the car runs good I can't get on the same page with it. So, it's just been tough. Were in a littler rut right now and it kind of makes you sick.

"I am definitely not going to TiVO this race. I'm going to put it behind me and move on to Denver. Hopefully we'll get something going on the Western Swing. I know we have a good car and a good crew."

Next up is the Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals at Bandimere Speedway in Morrison, Colo., outside of Denver, July 10-12.

UNOFFICIAL FUNNY CAR POINT STANDINGS, AFTER 12 EVENTS:
1. Ashley Force Hood, 872
2. Tony Pedregon, 854
3. Ron Capps, 847
4. Jack Beckman, 729 (winner today)
5. Del Worsham, 727
6. Bob Tasca III, 680 (runner-up today)
7. Tim Wilkerson, 657
8. John Force, 631
9. Mike Neff, 595
10. Matt Hagan, 577
10. Cruz Pedregon, 577