Great Phil Burgess Winternats article (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member

1971 was my fav cuz of Don Garlits winning in his first back motor car. That totally changed drag racing.

My fav was when James Warren won and then Mulligan taking the crown, 68 and 69. 1968 had 83 cars entered in AA/FD, 83!!!

TopFuel@Lions

1971 was my fav cuz of Don Garlits winning in his first back motor car. That totally changed drag racing.

Don Garlits has not been treated very well over the years since he tried to start his own association and the NHRA was a big part of that.

It's hard to believe that after everything he has done in drag racing from winning so many events to coming with the rear engine dragster which really changed drag racing for the better that this is how he was treated.

Jim Hill

Garlits was not shy about butting heads w/ NHRA and they did not like that. Sometimes I wish AHRA & IHRA were still around. NHRA has become the only sanctioning body for drag racing and I think racing would be better off w/ more sanctioning groups. One thing Garlits did for racing was to force NHRA into paying higher purses. When NHRA started, Wally Parks wanted to keep it at a grass roots level, which was OK the first several years. But racing got professional & Garlits kinda forced the issue of higher purses. Garlits also has a short fuse sometimes & will say or do something he shouldn't. Don Prudhomme was talking to some racers at OCIR once, and they told a Garlits story. Prudhomme laughed and said "Did he turn animal?" Both Garlits and Prudhomme were the most intense racers I ever saw and you know how emotions can affect that. They are both my heroes for life - I will tell people they are the 2 greatest drivers in drag racing. JMO.

The 1975 PS photo - NHRA Pro Stock rules change that provided a favorable weight break to longer wheelbase cars. Interesting result with Bob Glidden winning the event with a '70 Mustang body and Wayne Gapp runner-up in a 4-door Maverick. I don't remember 4-door Pro Stockers, were there very many of them?

John

The 1975 PS photo - NHRA Pro Stock rules change that provided a favorable weight break to longer wheelbase cars. Interesting result with Bob Glidden winning the event with a '70 Mustang body and Wayne Gapp runner-up in a 4-door Maverick. I don't remember 4-door Pro Stockers, were there very many of them?
I believe Gapp’s was the only one.
John

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back