Gray Saddles up in the Pitch Energy Dodge, Ready for The Last Go Round (1 Viewer)

POMONA, Calif. (Feb. 13, 2013) – The rear window of Funny Car pilot Johnny Gray's Pitch Energy Dodge Charger R/T explains his take on the 2013 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series quite simply; over a pair of boots and a cowboy hat is the phrase, "The Last Go Round." For Artesia, N.M., driver Gray, the season ahead will mark the end of an era as he plans to step out of the role of full-time driver after one final title chase beginning this weekend at the 53rd annual O'Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Winternationals at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona.

"To put it frankly, I enjoy driving the Funny Car, but I really love all the people," said Gray. "The NHRA officials, the track workers, the Safety Safari, and especially all of the fans who give up their hard-earned money to come watch us put on our little circus – I just love 'em all. When the kids come by with their eyes so big, and they're excited as can be, it just makes it even more exciting for you as a driver. But on the other hand, the full schedule is very demanding, and it makes it difficult to have a life outside of drag racing. I will be 60 years old this year, and I feel like I'm still driving fairly decent. I don't want to wait and go out when I'm not driving as well as I can. After this year, it's time to go fishing, it's time to spend more time with the grandkids. They're growing up, I'm growing older, and it's just time."

Gray's Dodge Charger R/T – one of four running out of the Don Schumacher Racing stable – will be backed by Gray and his sister, Terry Chandler, through Pitch Energy Corp. The car carries a very special paint scheme this year as a tribute to their father, the late John R. Gray, who passed away in 2001. It features the patriarch's likeness on the rear quarter panels and a hand of cards symbolizing his favorite card game, Pitch. The elder Gray, who was an established businessman in the Southwest, founded Pitch Energy.

"I'm not a superstitious person; you make your own luck," said Gray. "But hey, on the other hand, if Dad can help me out here a little bit this year, it would be a great way to finish up."

Of course, the ultimate goal is to capture the biggest trophy of them all by winning the Mello Yello Funny Car Championship. However, Gray would like to mark a few things off the to-do list over the course of The Last Go Round, including sealing the deal after two consecutive runner-up performances at Maple Grove Raceway and regaining the unofficial title of King of the Hill at Denver's Bandimere Speedway, where he dominated during the years that he raced in the alcohol categories.

First, he and the Gray Motorsports/Pitch Energy team must conquer the Winternationals. The team stopped at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway en route to Pomona for one final test session, and they were pleased with the results. The veteran driver would like nothing more than to kick-start what he intends will be a successful season by doing well at the season-opener, but he arrives in Pomona well aware that no amount of testing or preparation can guarantee perfection.

"The first year I ran the Funny Car with Del Worsham, we left Pomona in second place," recalled Gray, who was runner-up at the Winternationals in 2003 in the first final round of his professional career. "We were all pumped up, but after that we could hardly hit our butt with either hand the rest of the season. So really, it's more about averages. We want to win every single race we go to, but if you have good parts and a good team and you can go rounds, you've got as good of a chance as everybody else when it comes time for the Countdown.

"Mentally and physically, I'm probably going after it harder than I ever have," Gray continued. "I know this is my last chance, and I really have to thank Don Schumacher because he has committed to giving me every tool I need and every opportunity he possibly can to make this the best year possible. I really appreciate that from Don and from all of Don Schumacher Racing. I think we're positioned to have a great, great year, and my biggest ambition is to step out of the car when we come back to Pomona at the end of the year and be able to hold my head high."

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back