Gas Monkeys vs. Street Outlaws (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
So Chief and Rawlings are both building outlaw street racer type cars for an 1/8 mile shootout. The Gas Monkeys took a '15 Challenger roller that they had and are just basically using the skin to put over a tube chassis. Alex Laughlin and his dad stopped in to help out. This was Monday night, was a pretty cool show actually, it will be a wild car, and should make for a couple good episodes. Not really a spoiler since it's been public awhile, but this was the episode where Aaron quits. So Alex is driving. Love or hate these shows, they do get drag racing in front of a huge audience.

I find it hard to take these shows seriously.

Do you know anyone who would let Gas Monkey's build a car for them? The shows I have seen look like the cars are build fast just to flip them at the auctions.

The Street Outlaws is interesting but again it's all done for a TV show which is cool for watching.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

I quit watching the Gas Monkey show when I realized the mechanics were hacks. The cars they built are done on the cheap, so they can flip them as fast as they can. The shows themselves are hugely contrived.

Rawlings was arrogant before he got rich. He was well known in the Cannonball/Bullrun/Gumball 3000 scene. He once held the Cannonball coast-to-coast record (verified) and the time is tattooed on the inside of his right forearm. All of that being said, I still watch the show as it is entertaining if you don't get sucked in too deep. The thing that bothers me though, is that they lie when they don't have to or there is no reason to. For instance, on an episode 2 years ago when he was sponsoring Kebin Kinsley's Top Fueler, it showed them not qualifying at Vegas 2. Then Rawlings said he was going straight to Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale to get over not qualifying. Vegas 2 is in October, BJ Scottsdale is in January. Also, when they do the "2 week builds" that have to be ready for the auction. BJ will not let you enter a car in their auctions that late. They do a rigorous check to make sure the car is what you say it is (VIN checks, title searches, etc) and the cars are photographed for the sale catalog and sent to registered bidders weeks before the auction. Usually, you have to send the title to BJ before you can enter the car in their auctions. BJ is all about maximizing profits, and allowing people to show up with cars willy nilly without proper advertising doesn't do them any good, nor would they stake their reputation on a car that wasn't what it was supposed to be (like a Shelby clone or something). I usually just roll my eyes at the shenanigans and drool over the cars, and anything that could get someone into cars or drag racing on TV is a good thing. One thing that I don't think is faked, they love cars and they have fun at both Gas Monkey and Street Outlaws.

For this challenge, they will be racing at Fontana on the drag strip there.

Great post Chris, I share the exact same feelings about these shows. I overlook the fabricated drama and just enjoy the cars. Also, I caught that Vegas 2 vs. BJ timeline and wondered why the heck they needed to say that.

these shows need to be watched as entertainment, even Aaron the boy wonder made a lot of mistakes, lacked knowledge of what works. If I made that many mistakes, or lack of knowledge of the parts I use in my job, I would be done.

When the powers-that-be start intermixing shows in an attempt to boost ratings, all I can think of are all the "Scooby Doo Meets the Harlem Globetrotters" cartoons where they essentially ran out of story ideas so they brought in a new celebrity. The end is near for both shows...

Ya, Roadkill, Street Outlaws, build offs.....................seems all the reality shows are doing it. Need more drama.

That explains the Alex post saying that he was working a GMG but no specifics until now where himself and his dad are helping with the build. I'm just wondering if he is still gonna have GMG sponsorship for his P/S car being that he hasn't been to the first 2 races and still isn't entered for Gainesville. I guess the TAD venture is on hold also?

I don't overthink these shows. It's purely entertainment, and overall you end up seeing some badass rides. These shows and every other show on every station have a shelf life, some longer than others. One of my favorite automotive shows is Bitchin' Rides, with Dave Kindig. That shop turns out some amazing cars.

Dave Kindig's work is absolutely amazing. I like the show for the most part. Except the shop foreman reminds me too much of the son-in-law who used to appear on Graveyard Carz.
I read a recent interview of Aaron Kaufman and it appears he tired of the ridiculous deadlines when trying to finish a car.

I read a recent interview of Aaron Kaufman and it appears he tired of the ridiculous deadlines when trying to finish a car.

But yet he quits he enters into a build off with a 3 week deadline, and spend no more than $15K car against Farmtruck, and Azn. Aaron has been seen at KC's paint shop with cameras around, I'm thinking spin off show. As for Aarons business called Arclite (named in the same interview) which specializes in Ford F100 truck parts, I have yet to see any F100 parts made by a company with that name.

When the powers-that-be start intermixing shows in an attempt to boost ratings, all I can think of are all the "Scooby Doo Meets the Harlem Globetrotters" cartoons where they essentially ran out of story ideas so they brought in a new celebrity. The end is near for both shows...
or "Jump the shark" when they had the Fonz jump the shark tank on Happy Days..............the end is near!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back