Garlits Interview in Hot Rod Magazine (1 Viewer)

Riley7

Nitro Member
I was wondering if any of you have read the interview with Don Garlits in the recent issue of Hot Rod Magazine? He's got some interesting ideas on the current state of fuel racing, as well as what he'd do to bring the sport back to 1/4 mile racing. There is also a funny piece on how the tv and NHRA folks wanted him to handle interviews when he was doing that gig for a while.

That was a great interview. There is also a detailed breakdown of Worsham's Megarita Mixer in that issue.

I read that, great interview! He's said for years that once they let them take the heads off between rounds, it was a major game changer (in so many words). He has also stated, and I agree, that with the parts available now, a 4.90, 300mph type 1/4 mile tune-up would be almost indestructable (again, in so many words).

The Megarita has always been one of the coolest Worsham machines! (Hendey-Worsham Tinkertoy will always claim top spot in my mind) Though I am a firm believer that blending a margarita is the best way to ruin one, it's got a certain wow-factor that you have to love.

I love Big Daddy. He never minces words, and isn't afraid to speak his mind.

The fuel cars these days are an awesome sight to behold, but I agree that they now go so fast in the shorter distance, that the show seems somehow diminished. It's doubtful the powers that be at NHRA will do much now to change what's going on in the classes, especially considering how much $$$ the superteams have put into developing their current parts and pieces. I've read countless conversations as to how to safely slow the cars down, get back to running the full 1320', and put on a better show. Big's ideas of reducing track prep, sealing the engines, and limiting tire size would all work.....and would really help smart tuning and good driving overcome cubic dollars. The question is, would the teams, fans, sponsors, and NHRA ever seriously consider making wholesale changes for the Fuelers?

It seems unlikely so far. I think the fuel cars are just incredible, I mean who would have ever thought 330+ MPH in 1000 ft! 290 to the 1/8!! But, it really is over too fast, and the shorter distance gives less chance for pedalfests and lead changes, which means less RACING. NHRA needs to have the BA**S to make wholesale changes with the future of the sport in mind. Jeff Burk over at DRO brings up a good point: Why are they allowing new fuel heads and other parts to be introduced? Now we've established they're closer to 10,000 HP, which has to be carefully unleashed over 1000ft or the tires will blow off. Doesn't make sense. I remember first seeing the rocket cars in the '70s. Actually a good friend of mine, Rod Phelps had a couple in the early '80s. These cars could run 4's at roughly 350, DECADES ago. And yes they were amazing, but I remember thinking then, I wouldn't want to see run after run of them, at least not in place of the fuel cars. They have all the tools to re-package the "Show" and make it better than ever, but they seem to take the easy way out, and opt for short-term solutons.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back