Garlits' Electric Dragster (1 Viewer)

Notch1320

BerserkoBob
Nitro Member
Per the article, the "first shake down of the dragster" will be on Saturday. Why is there a picture of Big at a track, in his firesuit, with the parachute wrapped around the wing? Has he been testing this car all along and has he unofficially broken the 200 mph barrier?

I have no doubt he will accomplish the feat this weekend. The other car was close and where this one has Big's input on the construction....I wouldn't bet against him.

Why is there a picture of Big at a track, in his firesuit, with the parachute wrapped around the wing? Has he been testing this car all along and has he unofficially broken the 200 mph barrier?
It is not good practice to store a parachute in the pack for a longtime, they can get stuck... Ask me how I know... :eek:

Per the article, the "first shake down of the dragster" will be on Saturday. Why is there a picture of Big at a track, in his firesuit, with the parachute wrapped around the wing? Has he been testing this car all along and has he unofficially broken the 200 mph barrier?

I have no doubt he will accomplish the feat this weekend. The other car was close and where this one has Big's input on the construction....I wouldn't bet against him.
The photos have EXIF data showing they were taken in November last year.
One of the pictures looks like he is doing a burnout somewhere near his museum?

he has made some passes in an electric dragster in the past, is it the same car ? that I do not know.

He ran two different electric dragsters. The first one he ran they replaced him with Melanie Troxel after he left. I don't know if she ever drove it or they even continued. He used Swamp Rat 37 for that one. The new one says 38. I attached a picture of 37.

Attachments

• IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 39
The photos have EXIF data showing they were taken in November last year.
One of the pictures looks like he is doing a burnout somewhere near his museum?
Yeah he did a burnout at the museum.

About my other question it's not a huge deal and I wasn't trying to be nit-picky on the wording. "The first shakedown" sounds like it's the first ever pass and then there's a pic of the car after a run somewhere. I did some digging and found that he did run it in November at Bradenton. Again its not about the wording, I was surprised that it was actually on the track before and I'm curious on how it ran. This car is radically different than the original E-Dragster. Pic was found on Don's Twitter.

DseHkUyWsAEvWU6.jpg:large

i have no doubt he'll do it!

I've been a fan and admirer of his since the '60s. Finally got to meet him at last year's U.S. National in Indy. He was so nice to me and the Mrs. A visit to his museum is #1 on my bucket list

Garlits is in good shape for his age. He doesn't look 86. I really liked the first electric he ran, the one with the full body. It just looks so slick. The new car is kinda bare bones, but it's lighter than the old one. I wish he'd get the wing up higher. I dunno, there is not much "dirty air" with that small electric motor, so maybe it doesn't matter that much. By the way, I have a few hero cards autographed by Big and those are among my treasures.

I really liked the first electric he ran, the one with the full body. It just looks so slick. The new car is kinda bare bones, but it's lighter than the old one. I wish he'd get the wing up higher..

And it has a mono strut!! :D

The first car was, I believe, a Hadman car, and was badass looking. I think he built this new one from an S&W kit.

i have no doubt he'll do it!

I've been a fan and admirer of his since the '60s. Finally got to meet him at last year's U.S. National in Indy. He was so nice to me and the Mrs. A visit to his museum is #1 on my bucket list

View attachment 5449
He is definitely a nice guy, We met him at Gainesville earlier this year and he said we could help him unload his trailer! It was a really cool experience!

The first over 200 mph electric quarter mile was done years ago by Spiderman McBride on an electric dragbike.
Whatever happened to that thing? It made some very impressive runs, but the 201mph pass was in 2012 (I didn't realise it was so long ago). With the developments in tech you'd have to think they could be in the mid sixes by now.

Garlits is in good shape for his age. He doesn't look 86. I really liked the first electric he ran, the one with the full body. It just looks so slick. The new car is kinda bare bones, but it's lighter than the old one. I wish he'd get the wing up higher. I dunno, there is not much "dirty air" with that small electric motor, so maybe it doesn't matter that much. By the way, I have a few hero cards autographed by Big and those are among my treasures.

If he lost the wing/drag he would go 200 mph..........

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back