Garlits' Electric Dragster (1 Viewer)

Unlimited hydroplane racing was pretty much killed by the turbine. The noise was the best part. We could hear it from the house when I was a kid in Seattle. While I agree Electric is the wave of the future, it is not exciting in the least. Watched a Formula E race?

IMO if racing, not just drag racing, but all forms, went to all electric, it would really become a participant sport almost entirely. If it’s in the mix as an option, that wouldn’t be horrible.

Here's my piece on Hot Rod about the day: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/don...ctric-dragster-record-florida-chasing-200mph/

IMO if racing, not just drag racing, but all forms, went to all electric, it would really become a participant sport almost entirely. If it’s in the mix as an option, that wouldn’t be horrible.

The majority of motorsport is participant only when you think about it. Like you say, I think we will see electric in the mix as an option, but people will choose what excites them at the end of the day. There's a place in the world for both Formula E and Monster Jam - and I believe drag racing will function as a micro version of that.
But if manufacturer dollars are the goal, electric needs attention. Harley just released the Livewire, imagine an electric Pro Stock Motorcycle. The batteries and engines are getting small enough to achieve something that will run sixes on two wheels in that size chassis...it's an interesting thought - though parity would be a nightmare (imagine bikes that run faster at Denver).

You'll never see an all electric drag race. I love the chicken little panic I'm seeing just because a select few electric drag cars are getting some attention. Relax, the sky is not falling! Internal combustion power isn't going away in your lifetime! The cackle of nitro isn't being replaced by the hum of electricity!

You'll never see an all electric drag race. I love the chicken little panic I'm seeing just because a select few electric drag cars are getting some attention. Relax, the sky is not falling! Internal combustion power isn't going away in your lifetime! The cackle of nitro isn't being replaced by the hum of electricity!
I agree. But I do think it is intriguing about an Super "E"lectric class.
Not so much from a spectator point, but I think as a participant, it would be a great, new fresh challenge.

Sometime in the future:

The electric car leaves the line hard....and then stumbles....his delay box has kicked in? Nope....interference from a kid and his R/C car in the pits.....

A milestone is a milestone. I don't expect electric cars to revolutionize and take over NHRA Drag Racing in my lifetime (or ever) But I do appreciate the technology that makes them work. And I think the AVERAGE fan does as well. There are not many average fans here so please don't tell me that you hate it so everyone else does too. You can tell me that you hate it, just not that everyone does..... LoL

When Pat McCue ran the E-COPO in the 9's at the Winternationals this year the fans LOVED it. And the NHRA Welcome Center was buried with fans wanting to know where it was pitted. They told me that nothing had ever generated that much interest. (To be fair, if you're looking for the Nitro pits you probably don't need directions) But there was a very big crowd around his pit after each run he made.

And if Garlits were ever to run it at an NHRA National Event how big of a crowd do you think it would draw? I would go check it out. Not because I think it's the future of NHRA, but because it's different and I really like people who aren't afraid to try something different.

Last thing, I hope that when I'm 87 years old, I'm as active and motivated as he is. From that standpoint, the guy is my hero.

Alan

Unlimited hydroplane racing was pretty much killed by the turbine. The noise was the best part. We could hear it from the house when I was a kid in Seattle. While I agree Electric is the wave of the future, it is not exciting in the least. Watched a Formula E race?

As a matter of fact, yes. I've been following it for a couple of years. Once you get past the fact that they sound like giant slot cars, it's actually pretty good, toe to toe open wheel racing. Add to that the fact these drivers don't seem to mind getting a little physical when they need to.

It's getting a lot of interest from the manufacturers, because like it or not, electric cars ARE the future of automobiling.

We would always sit on the Kentucky side of the river from Madison, Indiana for the Governor's Cup and I LOVED it as a kid. I haven't thought about the turbine being the death knell of the unlimited hydros. I just assumed it was cost, getting crowded out of a modern sports calendar, the fact that sport really does not translate well to TV, so it got left behind by cable TV and the internet.

This has been argued to death on the hydroplane sites/pages, but Unlimited Hydroplane Racing experienced it's most healthy era in the nineties, long after the switch to turbines. Everyone pines for the noise, but they fail to remember all the boats in the V-12 era that returned to the dock at the end of a tow-rope. The one remaining Allison-powered Unlimited arrives at race-sites with more than half-a-dozen engines, only to often withdraw on Sunday because all are broken. As far as the noise goes, a 30-foot boat coming down the chute at 200 mph+ is impressive, regardless of how much noise it's making. And I suspect an electric drag-racer will be equally impressive.

How will the NHRA sell electric racing?

"SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! Come see the thundering.....ummm........smell the fumes from the burning......ummmmm.....see the 10 foot tall header flames....uhhhhhh.........."

How will the NHRA sell electric racing?

"SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! Come see the thundering.....ummm........smell the fumes from the burning......ummmmm.....see the 10 foot tall header flames....uhhhhhh.........."
Just because electric motors come along doesn't mean they will replace Top Fuel. Just like Formula E hasn't replaced Monster Jam - they both exist, but with different audiences.

If you're talking about how you sell it, think about the different environments electric opens up. How about this:

"NHRA presents the World E-Dragster Challenge, this Sunday, Sunday, Sunday in Downtown Manhattan! Tire-burning acceleration up close and personal! Meet the drivers and join the start-line party with live DJ and free giveaways for the whole family!"

While I'm on this stream of consciousness, I remember going to a cycling event in a downtown area once. I had no particular interest in cycling but went with a family who did. Their kids were beyond excited to be going, as they had attended the previous year. Was it the impressive athletes they were interested in, or the prestige of the event? Nope, it was the convoy of cars that threw out free stuff ahead of the peloton. Drag racing could do a lot more in terms of crowd interactivity and that will play a crucial part in an electric future.

A milestone is a milestone. I don't expect electric cars to revolutionize and take over NHRA Drag Racing in my lifetime (or ever) But I do appreciate the technology that makes them work. And I think the AVERAGE fan does as well. There are not many average fans here so please don't tell me that you hate it so everyone else does too. You can tell me that you hate it, just not that everyone does..... LoL

When Pat McCue ran the E-COPO in the 9's at the Winternationals this year the fans LOVED it. And the NHRA Welcome Center was buried with fans wanting to know where it was pitted. They told me that nothing had ever generated that much interest. (To be fair, if you're looking for the Nitro pits you probably don't need directions) But there was a very big crowd around his pit after each run he made.

And if Garlits were ever to run it at an NHRA National Event how big of a crowd do you think it would draw? I would go check it out. Not because I think it's the future of NHRA, but because it's different and I really like people who aren't afraid to try something different.

Last thing, I hope that when I'm 87 years old, I'm as active and motivated as he is. From that standpoint, the guy is my hero.

Alan

So Alan maybe you can inquire and give us some insight as to why the NHRA would not allow Big Daddy to run at an NHRA facility.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Regarding Garlits' quest for 200 - I'm wondering if we've just found the limitation of the electric motors. This car is totally different than the last car (no "aero", much lighter) yet the top speeds are almost identical. I find that too coincidental. But who knows maybe it is purely coincidence.

I would imagine the weight penalty for some sort of gearing would outweigh the benefit?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back