Funnt Car vs. Dragster, "crazy" factor (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
Funny Car vs. Dragster, "crazy" factor

My opinion is that while it takes cojones to drive a top fuel car, funny car drivers are little bit more over the edge, as it were. I mean, 8000 hp time bomb in front, spinning clutch parts between the legs, and a massive rear end beneath the rear end. I know things are relatively safe compared to years ago, but still. It takes a lot to saddle that horse...

Opinions?

Last edited:
it is a well known fact that Top Fuel drivers are sissys and Funny Car drivers are the real drivers!!! :D

I always thought Gary Scelzi's comments were curious. Part of his logic for switching from Top Fuel to Funny Car was that Funny Cars were "safer". I could never quite wrap my head around that one.

I don't remember who it was (Al Hoffman maybe?) ... but an old school funny car driver referred to the dragster guys as "Sunday Drivers". It was not a compliment.

I always thought Gary Scelzi's comments were curious. Part of his logic for switching from Top Fuel to Funny Car was that Funny Cars were "safer". I could never quite wrap my head around that one.

I thought he said that around the time of those huge TF car crashes at Memphis Schumacher and Dixon had, along with Scelzi's crash into John Smith here in Brainerd.

When things are all good, you would think (of course I can't speak from expierence) the TF car is more stable and smooth to drive, but when things go bad the TF crashes are more spectacular. There might be more room for error in a FC too, as in you can have a failure and still get the car stopped, theres not one failure (or maybe there is that Im not aware of) that couldn't be recovered from, where as in TF if you have a tire failure that takes out the wing (the Achilles heel) you could go flying off the track at 300 mph (as schumacher did).

I don't know about anyone else here; perhaps y'all didn't know this about me - but I have personally driven nitro cars in both the Nitro Funny Car and Top Fuel classes for some time, right here in the NHRA on PlayStation 3. Other than the limited vision under the funny car body - it really is just about the same, driving both cars. Whether the engine is in my face or roaring up my ass.....once I get in the car with that controller in my hand - it's all routine to me. :D

I don't know about anyone else here; perhaps y'all didn't know this about me - but I have personally driven nitro cars in both the Nitro Funny Car and Top Fuel classes for some time, right here in the NHRA on PlayStation 3. Other than the limited vision under the funny car body - it really is just about the same, driving both cars. Whether the engine is in my face or roaring up my ass.....once I get in the car with that controller in my hand - it's all routine to me. :D

Thats pretty good there !

while I have never driven a fuel funny car, I can tell you so far there isn't anything that can touch the feeling of a killer run in an alcohol funny car. dropping the clutch, then half way through second gear you realize the left front wheel is still in the air, then the shift light comes back on just after the 1000 ft mark but your already in high gear which tells me she is at or over 250 mph at the lights. . . .DAMN! . . .and I haven't met a woman that can beat that! :eek::D

LOL!!! Cool, now we have another "go-to guy" for many of our questions!!:D

Ray Charles could dri......

oh wait, wrong thread.

haha you beat me to it!

I've got a lot of experience driving a fuel funny car...
Well sort of, I hop in Bodes car at the big end and drive it back to the pits behind the tow vehicle lol.
Sometimes I'll open the butterflies to get a chuckle out of the clutch guy watching me from the tow vehicle :p

Anyway, sometimes I sit in there and think of what it would be like to actually drive this thing under power and.....no I don't think so.

I love fast cars but it takes some big nuts to drive a fuel funny, or a dragster for that matter. Either way they're both "crazy" in my opinion

I don't remember who it was (Al Hoffman maybe?) ... but an old school funny car driver referred to the dragster guys as "Sunday Drivers". It was not a compliment.

Didn't Big Al also say dragsters were for "old men, women and children?"

haha you beat me to it!

I've got a lot of experience driving a fuel funny car...
Well sort of, I hop in Bodes car at the big end and drive it back to the pits behind the tow vehicle lol.
Sometimes I'll open the butterflies to get a chuckle out of the clutch guy watching me from the tow vehicle :p

Anyway, sometimes I sit in there and think of what it would be like to actually drive this thing under power and.....no I don't think so.

I love fast cars but it takes some big nuts to drive a fuel funny, or a dragster for that matter. Either way they're both "crazy" in my opinion
Be carefull UNCLE FESTER the throttle might stick and you will run in to Jake the snake. ha ha.

Strap me in....

ToliverTnTMonday134.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back