Formula One: Drive to Survive on Netflix (1 Viewer)

Luke Nieuwhof

Nitro Member
I'm not sure if anyone else has had the chance to watch this series yet but I'm about three episodes in and really enjoying it so far. I'm a casual fan of F1 and once upon a time would watch races regularly but don't really follow it so much lately.
But there's something really fresh about this series, which follow the 2018 season. Very honest and very emotional, which is rare for F1 broadcasts. Lots of swearing and the interviews are a lot less PR-ish than normal. I guess the production teams had a mantra to go everywhere, listen to everything and ask hard questions, because there are some scenes - such as where Fernando Alonso crashes in winter testing - where you can see the teams are visibly uncomfortable with the moments being recorded.
I would love to see the NHRA equivalent of this fly-on-the-wall style, because there is plenty of emotion we all know exists behind the scenes, but the teams are extremely good at having their business face on when it comes to the cameras and media.
Drive to Survive is also engaging for people who aren't motorsport fans - lots of personal insights into the drivers' lives away from the track and the politics that go on in F1.
Compared to say the Driving Force series of old, this has the honesty turned right up and a grittier tone - I think that would be great to see a drag racing equivalent.

I too have been watching this series. It was something I would watch when my wife wasn't around because I did not think she would like it. She walked in once when I was watching it and didn't leave (or complain!) lol

I've been watching it. It shows how out of control F1 is. When it takes a minimum of $150million (last place racer) to $900million(Red Bull) to run each car in the series and you have a research center and over 1,000 employees to run a race car their is something wrong. The show is very interesting and the inside the pit area and all is very eye opening to those who have not had the chance to be involved with a team. Having gone and seen what the Red Bull team brings to the races is amazing. Over 200 people just to support each car then the hospitability suite which it didn't show. You could operate the whole NHRA show for a year and pay out at least $500k to pro winners at each race and a whole lot of money for sportsman racing plus paying the costs of each team to operate just for what Red Bull pays to run 2 cars. It's great to see a American team (Haas) racing. They will eventually get their act together.

I dont think its a matter of how out of control F1 is but how popular it is worldwide. Who knew F1 was big in Baku. Remember there is lot more technology in an F1 car than any drag car that is why it cost more. F1 was is just about the only racing series that can truly claim a World champ.

Started last night when I went to bed and I wound up watching three episodes. I've always followed F1, Monaco is on the bucket list!

i love F1, and seemingly more each year. the bahrain race must have been televised here in states in middle of nite? never say a replay anywhere last sunday.
GO FINNS! pulling for bottas to win it all this year, and kimi to finish in top 8........don't get netflix. this series sounds real interesting. one thing i don't like about f1 is when eccelstone
was in charge, governments (countries) with very impoverished people, would spend enormous money to build a track to lure F1, only to see F1 move on a few years later.
it seems now that the series has settled a bit and runs a fairly predictable schedule every year......globe trotting at beginning and end of season, spending bulk of middle season in europe
to cut way down on logistics expense.

Pulling for the Haas team. They are the first American team in years and were told they couldn't compete.

Pulling for the Haas team. They are the first American team in years and were told they couldn't compete.
it's great to see them out there competing so well in the few short years they've been on the track. great to see COTA, a track that is praised by most of the drivers. a world class venue in the
great city of austin. love the back to back weekends of COTA and mexico city race

I don't know anything about Formula 1, but I turned this show on and it was fantastic. I ended up watching the whole season in just a week or two. I can't believe how popular the sport is, especially when the same cars win over and over. It was also so surprising to me to see how happy the teams would be when they would finish 7th or 8th. Anyway, I thought the show was really well orchestrated and I'm hoping they continue it going forward. Thanks for the heads up Luke.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back