Force vs. Manzo in wins (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
How many event wins does Manzo have compared to Force? I’m not sure how many of Manzo’s wins are national event wins. Or maybe I am thinking of number of championships...

As far as I know on the NHRA wins lists "divisional" does not count towards overall total. Manzo's 105 wins and 130 Finals are probably exceeding 170 division-ally if not even over 200.

As well as all the divisional championships along with National that he has won along the way. This ultimately makes Manzo "technically" the winning est racer in NHRA history. Just like how Kyle Busch is the win leader in Nascar unofficially.

Makes you wonder how many wins Don Garlits has. Not just NHRA, but AHRA, IHRA, Bakersfield and wins at the races he went to.

From my data, this is all I could find on Don:

Championships: 17. NHRA: 3 IHRA: 4 AHRA: 10

U.S. Nationals Wins/Finals: 8/11

Career Wins: 35 IHRA: TF: 25, 84 Outside Of NHRA/IHRA, Specifics To Many Sanctioning Bodies Unknown

Career Finals: 43 IHRA: TF: 32, At Least 69 Outside Of NHRA/IHRA, Specifics To Many Sanctioning Bodies Unknown

As well as all the divisional championships along with National that he has won along the way. This ultimately makes Manzo "technically" the winning est racer in NHRA history. Just like how Kyle Busch is the win leader in Nascar unofficially.
That's kind of true, but I don't think that's entirely fair to Manzo. Busch's numbers are inflated by the fact that he can compete in three separate races per weekend without any impact to his main ride. He's good and wins a lot, but by simply choosing to race more, he gives himself chances that others don't bother with. Manzo (and Force) have their numbers by being absolutely dominant in their classes for an extended period of time. When you're in a sportsman class, you have to pick and choose your races to maximize your points potential, and since divisionals count toward national points, they can't be discounted in the same vein as the truck or Xfinity series with regard to Busch's wins.

Well what about Biondo or Aragona? Even Bertozzi. Fletcher used to OWN stock and super stock.

I think whats lost on the world or divisional championships these guys have won, is the era and competition they did it in. Just unreal statistics from each!

From my data, this is all I could find on Don:

Championships: 17. NHRA: 3 IHRA: 4 AHRA: 10

U.S. Nationals Wins/Finals: 8/11

Career Wins: 35 IHRA: TF: 25, 84 Outside Of NHRA/IHRA, Specifics To Many Sanctioning Bodies Unknown

Career Finals: 43 IHRA: TF: 32, At Least 69 Outside Of NHRA/IHRA, Specifics To Many Sanctioning Bodies Unknown

Thanks Patrick. Good info. I was also thinking about races won that were not Championship type races. Say the race in 1959 after Bakersfield, when he first ran a blower (Kingdon??), or races like that. Not to mention just local races that he won, or races entered as he toured the country. I bet even Garlits doesn't remember how many he won, unless he wrote it down. You could put Prudhomme, Ivo, The Greek, etc in that category. Different time, hardly any National events.

Thanks Patrick. Good info. I was also thinking about races won that were not Championship type races. Say the race in 1959 after Bakersfield, when he first ran a blower (Kingdon??), or races like that. Not to mention just local races that he won, or races entered as he toured the country. I bet even Garlits doesn't remember how many he won, unless he wrote it down. You could put Prudhomme, Ivo, The Greek, etc in that category. Different time, hardly any National events.

AND - Everyone except Ivo made their living that way. This was also before Bernstein brought major corporate money to drag racing.

Back in the Old Daze, the corporate $ was called "wallet". Like Greer-Black-Prudhomme, Greer was the wallet. I remember reading an article that said the fuel guys were spending $1000 for a nitro engine, and that was a lot of $ when you made $80 a week.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back