Favorite Strip-Why? (1 Viewer)

Pomona Raceway...because I grew up just down the way in Glendora and grew up at that track. Always got to see "The New Look" cars at the Winternationals and some dramatic finishes to the season at the World Finals. I have a ton of great memories at that venue.

My second favorite track is just down the road from our new home...Firebird Raceway in Boise/Eagle Idaho.

The late, great Tucson Dragway. From 1966 to 1970, everybody who was anybody ran there at some point. They had booked in shows (AA/FA, AA/FD, AA/FC, jet cars) once a month.
The very first car I ever saw go down that track was the Speed Sport dragster. Turns out Red Greth lived about two blocks from where we did. His son and I used to run together until we moved away. Somebody was always staying at their house on Saturday night with their cars parked in front. I sure wish I had a camera back then.
My stepdad dropped me off at the track at noon every Saturday and picked me up at midnight. I think he did that to give him an excuse to go drinking with my uncle.
And, talk about going full circle; I saw The Invader FC run there in the late ‘60s. The owner moved to Arkansas after we did and lived about five miles from me. I ended up crewing on the car for several years.

Maple Grove, because of good memories but also because this is what my home track E-Town looks like now

etowndestruction.jpg

Bandimere Speedway in Denver. My first dragstrip was Detroit Dragway in 1962. Since then I have seen and raced at many tracks.
Now at 72 yo looking back Bandimere is the best overall experience.

BRISTOL, sandwiched between two mountains, bleachers are angled away from the track as you go down the track, so us short folks don't have to worry about someone standing up in front of us as the nitro cars go thundering down the track. You may not see the worlds fastest and quickest runs, but until you experience the thrill of Bristol, you want understand it and then theres the "THUNDER VALLEY CLUB"!

Lions because the pit bleachers were right on top of the track. When zoomie headers became the ticket, sticky rubber pellets would rain down after the TF went through the lights. Of course San Gabriel and then Irwindale and Fontana were pretty cool also.

I don't go back as far as some of you but I'll say Baylands Raceway in Fremont. Might seem an odd choice but it has sentimental reasons. In 1987 I was looking for something to do with my 7 year old daughter one night, saw an ad for car races at Baylands and thought that might be a fun night. Went there and saw Brad Anderson and Gary Ormsby race (not against each other of course!) Ran into a friend and was hooked on drag racing. 31 years later, have been to about 250 national events and every track on the circuit, including VMP where I am for the first time this weekend.

Great answers guys, all great strips! Pomona, Irwindale,San Fernando and Famoso too. My second choice would be O.C.I.R. Was there on opening night, August of 1967. O.C.I.R. had to have a big event to get Dad and I away from Lions.

TopFuel@Lions

Lions my all time favorite. Was there for the Last Race Dec 1972. San Fernando, my first race in 1961. Was actually there for the last race, but we didn't know it. Went the next week and track was closed. OCIR - what a difference, like being in another world. Firebird in Phoenix, now Wild Horse. Have been going here over 30 years. The late Speedworld, my favorite AZ track. Really liked that place. I guess Pomona too, but haven't been there since 1980's. Went once to San Gabe (San Gabriel) & that track made a big impression on me. Ontario was a different world, saw Garlits run that 5.63 - 250 in 1975. Houston - went there 3 years ago & wow, what a great track! OK, last, Bonniville Drag Strip, which is what the track in Salt Lake City was called back then, 1972. Div 7 race, James Warren won T/F, first all 6 second field.

My favorite strip to race at is probably Topeka. Smooth as glass, hooks magically in even the hottest conditions, long shut down, huge parking area .... on the downside, not an ideal fan perspective and some downright scary weather at times (never seen more pink on a radar image). Favorite track to be at is probably either Bristol or Vegas .... Bristol is the drag strip Robert Trent Jones would have made if he designed drag strips instead of golf courses, Vegas just wraps a lot of fun scenery, experiences, and racing into one really nice place (unless grass is important to your happiness .... our dogs are not big Vegas fans, and, oh yeah, don't bring you scooter into the grandstands! .... that phrase means Vegas to me .... never did it, but I laugh at the guys getting reprimanded on the PA for it ... and I have this dream of trying to fake Alan out with a cardboard cut out of scooter one day).

Green Valley Raceway

Green Valley was a AHRA track in between Dallas and FT Worth. It always attracted the top cars from both coasts on a regular basis and hosted many AHRA nat'l events. They treated the racers right which back in those days didn't always happen. First time I ever saw a nitro race was at Green Valley because Wally wouldn't allow anything but gas. Plus it was a good surface for that era. By far my favorite. It remained good until it closed in the 80s.

My favorite strip to race at is probably Topeka. Smooth as glass, hooks magically in even the hottest conditions, long shut down, huge parking area .... on the downside, not an ideal fan perspective and some downright scary weather at times (never seen more pink on a radar image). Favorite track to be at is probably either Bristol or Vegas .... Bristol is the drag strip Robert Trent Jones would have made if he designed drag strips instead of golf courses, Vegas just wraps a lot of fun scenery, experiences, and racing into one really nice place (unless grass is important to your happiness .... our dogs are not big Vegas fans, and, oh yeah, don't bring you scooter into the grandstands! .... that phrase means Vegas to me .... never did it, but I laugh at the guys getting reprimanded on the PA for it ... and I have this dream of trying to fake Alan out with a cardboard cut out of scooter one day).

HA! Jeff you should do the cardboard scooter. Alan will never know...... :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back