Favorite Strip-Why? (1 Viewer)

Great lakes Dragaway in Union Grove Wisconsin. used to "gopher" for some of the wheel standers in the late 60's

Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio, because it's the closest track to me that runs the Mellow Yellow series. Also, it's a great facility and the Night Under Fire event is always very entertaining.

May I submit 3?
1. MCD (Motor City Drag way) [defunct] I lived a 1/2 mile down the road from it as a kid. This was also the place where I first met Scott Kalitta in probably 1971, through my Dad’s acquaintance with Connie.
2. Texas Motorplex - also lived in that area later in life. Saw many races and spectacular racing milestones there over the years, from about 1987 to 2002.
3. Denver. Also still live near there. Again, been to many special races there. Also was at Scott Kalitta’s first big win with the Jesse James WCC top fuel campaign, with Jim O running the car, just after SK got back into racing with Mac Tools onboard

I dont think I have ever been to a drag strip I have not liked. Probably my favorite is Wild Horse (I still call it Firebird) because it is my home track. It is a great feeling when I walk into the track early Friday morning every February for the nationals, I get to see great friends and spend time with family and it is the place I fell in love with drag racing. From boats to off road to top fuel I always feel at home when I walk into Firebird. The old Speedworld I miss as it was small but such a great family atmosphere and saw some great racing in the couple times I got to go. Pomona is great because of the history that has happened in that facility and the atmosphere of the World Finals and you can always feel the tension in the air especially when a run happens to determine a World Champion. Sonoma is always great and a top notch facility and Bandimere is tremendous with it cut into the mountains and you can hear the cars for five seconds after the runs, I cant wait to go back again this summer.

I’ve been to tracks all over the country, big & small.
New England Dragway is still home and I used to basically live there.
Atco & Maple Grove are tied for second. Love both tracks for their cozy feel and hard hooking surface. But, as for entertainment...love love love Cecil County!

E-Town for sure - almost 1st in the gate each year to race to get under the shade trees on pit side.... so much history there for my family memories, and of course racing history as well

My favorite strip to race at is probably Topeka. Smooth as glass, hooks magically in even the hottest conditions, long shut down, huge parking area .... on the downside, not an ideal fan perspective and some downright scary weather at times (never seen more pink on a radar image). Favorite track to be at is probably either Bristol or Vegas .... Bristol is the drag strip Robert Trent Jones would have made if he designed drag strips instead of golf courses, Vegas just wraps a lot of fun scenery, experiences, and racing into one really nice place (unless grass is important to your happiness .... our dogs are not big Vegas fans, and, oh yeah, don't bring you scooter into the grandstands! .... that phrase means Vegas to me .... never did it, but I laugh at the guys getting reprimanded on the PA for it ... and I have this dream of trying to fake Alan out with a cardboard cut out of scooter one day).
I totally agree we did a lot work to get track approved I just wished they had put a cross tunnel under track at end spectators side at end of bleachers, I guess money was getting thin so they passed on it

While I still wish Connecticut Dragway and Englishtown were running, my "I've finally arrived" visit was to Palmdale's Los Angeles County Raceway during a business trip some years ago.
Sure, the place was kind of a sand pit but some cool cars and people - made for a great memory.

Detroit Dragway for sentimental reasons. It was the first track I ever went to back in the 70s. I spend a lot of summers there.

Today's track would be Summit Motorsports Park. We've had track side motor home sites there for years for the divisional race and the Summit Nationals.

Whatever track I am sitting at is my favorite :)

Milan Dragway just because it's where I spent so much time as a kid. It's where I made my first ever pass, where I watched my daughter make her first pass last year. They used to have the Northern Nationals on the IHRA side, so it's was the closest Nitro event we had. It's not a special track by today's standards just special for the memories to me

131 Martin- Pop Hot Rod when I was very young and some great shows now. It has this great mix of not being a super track size but still some of the nice upgrades without losing that small track feel and appeal.

Norwalk-Best track and customer service I have ever had at a race. As a Michigander it's one of the few redeeming things about Ohio :) Be it the Nationals, Night of Fire, Halloween meet, Calvalcade or whatever else they do, you will not leave disappointed, plus we all know about the ice cream.

OCIR ...I can remember every bright light and exotic smell the evening my dad took me there for the first time. We sat on the spectator side (the one and only time) and this 11 year old was instantly and terminally infected. It only got better from there. From that point we always entered with the race cars on the pit side entrance, after going over the freeway on the one lane bridge. Pit pass sticker proudly attached to my shirt. My OCIR jacket Christmas present. Sitting in the back of the pickup, which was pulled alongside the track by the drainage ditch. Fetching numerous cups of coffee for dad (before they invented lids), cooling down our '57 Chevy E/G car while Nanook was doing the same in the next space. The pit rollers. Bug In's. and on and on.

Totally agree with Jeff about Topeka. That track could be 150 and still have teeth.
The staff at Norwalk treats the racers and the fans the best. Love that place.
Bristol is one of the most scenic places to watch a race.
Las Vegas - hate racing there but love to party. :)

cordova.....where it all started
BIR......30+ years of pure fun
tracks i would love to attend.....sonoma, seattle, denver, new england, bristol

I don't go back as far as some of you but I'll say Baylands Raceway in Fremont.
I 1st went to Fremont in the early 70's... yes I am old... ;)
Compared to today's tracks, it is a real shit-hole with dirt/gravel pits, getting stuck in the mud on rain out days etc. But I loved it and still do. I learned so much about racing there, got my 1st win and made friends that I still have today.
RIP Fremont.

National Trails, I lived there for 3 days every year growing up, so many great memories there. Norwalk has the best staff

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back